No announcement yet.

Support American fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
    It's true that the fans don't support the fighters across the board as Americans even if the media do hype them up. The entire UK, Puerto Rico, Ukraine, Philipines, Denmark, Germany as nations get behind all of their boxers.

A good example is Paulie Malignaggi who has the Italian-American support in NY, but that's where it ends. Mayweather has a small section of black support but even they don't like him, he gets more love in the UK just for being Hatton's colorful opponent.

The US has this thing outwardly about being proud to be an American but when it comes to boxing, I think it's fair to say the different cultural communities tend to segregate their support.
    We should have pride in guys like Mayweather but because he is not a ko artist we throw him to the side,there is almost no respect for a technical fighter here in america.

Comment

Originally posted by markbnlv View Post
      We should have pride in guys like Mayweather but because he is not a ko artist we throw him to the side,there is almost no respect for a technical fighter here in america.
      Pretty much, but that's one thing about the UK/Mexico, we don't really have boxers like that. Our fighters come to fight.

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
      Paper tiger? Hatton beat the man to become the man, he also beat Urango, Collazo, Malignaggi, show the man some respect.
      yep, and Fuego is overrating a lot of the US fighters he mentioned too, the US media hypes them up, they write these pfp lists, a foreign fighter has to do extra well to get the same credit. Lacy was supposed to be a future superstar and would probably have been in Fuego's top 10. There are many more like him. The reality is the US doesn't get behind its star boxers, Mayweather and Hopkin should have huge support, but they don't, Calzaghe and Hatton's fanbases dwarf them.
      Last edited by Weebler I; 12-27-2009, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
        first,fighters from other counties get criticised for only fighting in their own country,but when you lookat the american top dogs they only fight in their own backyard and its ok.....why?...because we made people believe we are the ones who make rules and the ones who make em dont get questioned......you ever wonder why the most and greatests robberies takes place in the US?......coz after a week, it is ok if its the US....
        Lucian Bute is a good example of what your talking about the man will put 20k in the seats, and people say he should prove himself in america,why would he do that hes putting 20 k in the seats and making tons of money,thats why we need an american fighter that we can prop up as a national icon then you will see guys like bute fight outside of there countries.

Comment

I support boxers I like to watch. I dont care about their nationality.

Comment

Originally posted by cooper5 View Post
            I support all fighters. It doesn't matter where they come from. If they do good or bad, I call it as I see it. There are great fighters from everywhere.
            I agree but thats not my point,boxing has died out in america largely because we dont have a national icon like tyson holyfield etc

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
              the point is, when you have few of something, you appreciate it more. the world expects americans to dominate boxing, so they criticize them when they don't instead of cheering them when they do.
              other nations have loads of boxers, they just don't have the US media hype machine behind them. Guys like Arthur Abraham and Carl Froch were nobodies in terms of 'name' compared to the hyped up Jermain Taylor. Why? because they're not American. HBO called Mayweather Hatton's signature fight when it was Kostya Tzyzu, why? because it took place in America against an American fighter. Americans write these pfp lists, they're inherently biased towards US fighters and thereby inaccurate.

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                first,fighters from other counties get criticised for only fighting in their own country,but when you lookat the american top dogs they only fight in their own backyard and its ok.....why?...because we made people believe we are the ones who make rules and the ones who make em dont get questioned......you ever wonder why the most and greatests robberies takes place in the US?......coz after a week, it is ok if its the US....
                whoa, you can't make that kind of a claim without proof. have you ever heard of Germany?!?!?

we've had bad decisions, but the only ones blatantly against foreigners that I can recall were:

Lewis-Holyfield I and Sturm-De La Hoya

which others are you referring to?

Comment

Pretty much, but that's one thing about the UK/Mexico, we don't really have boxers like that. Our fighters come to fight.

yep, and Fuego is overrating a lot of the US fighters he mentioned too, the US media hypes them up, they write these pfp lists, a foreign fighter has to do extra well to get the same credit. Lacy was supposed to be a future superstar and would probably have been in Fuego's top 10. There are many more like him. The reality is the US doesn't get behind its star boxers, Mayweather and Hopkin should have huge support, but they don't, Calzaghe and Hatton's fanbases dwarf them.
                  I can agree with most of what you've said. Lacy was close to top 10 and would have gotten in with a dominant win over Calzaghe, but he didn't pan out. that's the way it goes sometimes. but you look at Tim Bradley and you already see a guy with a better resume than Carl Froch, who clearly lost his last fight and got a hometown decision. We don't hype them up too soon. If Calzaghe got credit for beating Kessler, then Ward gets credit for destroying Kessler in a way Calzaghe couldn't.

Comment

yep, and Fuego is overrating a lot of the US fighters he mentioned too, the US media hypes them up, they write these pfp lists, a foreign fighter has to do extra well to get the same credit. Lacy was supposed to be a future superstar and would probably have been in Fuego's top 10.

Thats the thing with American fans, they spout on about how other countries hype there fighters when they do it themselves, only because their talent pool is bigger due to the population of the country they can move onto the next hype job and pretend they were not one of the ones on the Lacy bandwagon at the time, where as Brits and other countries have to stick by their fighters because that is all they have due to the size(population) of the country.

If you made a thread and asked who backed Lacy to beat Calzaghe you would hardly get any replies with people fessing up.

The countries with comparable populations to America dont have a rich history in Boxing or its just not a popular sport there. America might not be at its peak now but it has a long history and the sport still has more notoriety than in other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by markbnlv View Post
                      I have noticed as of late american boxing fans have turned a cold shoulder towards american fighters the bashing of Floyd Mosley Paulie etc why is this,maybe if we supported fighters from are country like we did with ray leonard dela hoya sweetpea maybe boxing would have a resurgance.
                      Honestly bro I don't even look at where they from. I don't care. I love boxing so I become of fans of fighters who are from different places. I am a big fan of Mosley, Dawson, Kirkland and Bradley. But, I am also a big fan of Adamek, Gonzalez, Valero, Abraham, Khan, Bute, Kameda, Doanire, Pac. It doesn't matter the fighter Nationality to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X