Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can GGG be an ATG without ever facing a 1st ballot hall of fame fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe Khaosai Galaxy got in without doing so.

In this era of 4 title holders I can't believe there aren't several cats in the HOF who hasn't fought a fellow HOFer so I'm sure its possible.

Comment

The phrase ATG seems to be taken pretty lightly. I don't know if I can consider GGG to be an ATG with his current set of accomplishments.

But HOF wise you can bet that if he beats Canelo he will make it in. Even if he were to lose a rematch.

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      That's a good point.

You see that a lot - "what HOF'ers did he beat"

But what is the significance?

Willie Pastrano is a HOF'er but if he any better than Vernon Forrest? Not IMO. But because he's a "HOF'er" he's held to a certain level.

Too Sharp Johnson is a HOF'er, for what? Being on the P4P list for a few years?

You said it, it's cheap.

Ricky Hatton will be a HOF'er one day, you can bet Floyd detractors will soon discredit it when he has a prime HOFer on his resume.
      Well sure it's cheap if it's considered totally outside of context.

But the question TS is really asking is whether GGG should be considered ATG if he hasn't beaten fighters who are themselves very accomplished fighters. The HOF here is just a proxy for career accomplishments; I think TS already understands that there are some fighters more deserving than others in the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
        lol. no.. come on now. An ATG w/ that resume?
        Did you see the Rosado/Murray fight last weekend. The hardcore Golovkin fans were trying to pump them up, talking about how good Rosado really is.

Regarding the Q, I don't really know exactly what qualifies one for ATG status but this is always how I've seen it for the last couple years; If he really hustles and takes some chances, he can get there. Then, another year goes by where he doens't even come close. THIS might be the year where he really starts making things happen but I'm not holding my breath. Hard to imagine that he's going to go into overdrive in his mid-30's.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          That's a good point.

You see that a lot - "what HOF'ers did he beat"

But what is the significance?

Willie Pastrano is a HOF'er but if he any better than Vernon Forrest? Not IMO. But because he's a "HOF'er" he's held to a certain level.

Too Sharp Johnson is a HOF'er, for what? Being on the P4P list for a few years?

You said it, it's cheap.

Ricky Hatton will be a HOF'er one day, you can bet Floyd detractors will soon discredit it when he has a prime HOFer on his resume.
          It's all over the place. There's no actual standard, how many wins do you need, out of those wins what percentage have to be versus top 10 contenders, how many titles do you need to win, how many top 10 contenders do you have to beat, what's the most important category to get you into the HOF? How significant is becoming THE champion of a weight class, can you not be P4P and still make it in by having other strong feats?

No structure, other than: Be popular, have a significant name in boxing for your time, beat a couple of other famous names, or have some famous fights. There are boxers who made it, and others with similar or even better careers who won't make it, because "the guy who made it was famous and put butts on seats". The way Gatti got in, now you gotta make room for Castillo, Corrales, I. Vazquez, R. Marquez, Mayorga and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
            The phrase ATG seems to be taken pretty lightly. I don't know if I can consider GGG to be an ATG with his current set of accomplishments.

But HOF wise you can bet that if he beats Canelo he will make it in. Even if he were to lose a rematch.

Well sure it's cheap if it's considered totally outside of context.

But the question TS is really asking is whether GGG should be considered ATG if he hasn't beaten fighters who are themselves very accomplished fighters. The HOF here is just a proxy for career accomplishments; I think TS already understands that there are some fighters more deserving than others in the HOF.
            Yeah, ATG is really, really far off for GGG. But I was saying in order to first be considered ATG, you at least have be HOF. And I was trying to make a case if GGG will be HOF material. I think ATG talk is really looking into a future that is likely not going to happen. HOF is slightly more realistic.

Comment

I think GGG is on the way. His long KO streak and his many defenses put him in good stead. But he needs to break the middleweight defense record, unify the belts, beat Canelo and a few more top guys if he wants to get in there.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees7448 View Post
                I think GGG is on the way. His long KO streak and his many defenses put him in good stead. But he needs to break the middleweight defense record, unify the belts, beat Canelo and a few more top guys if he wants to get in there.
                Agree. Think if he actually fights Canelo and beats him he'd be on his way as an ATG. If he can get by a few more guys with resumes acceptable to "discerning" fans he'll by on the right track.

Comment

Once GGG beats nelo easierb than he did Jacobs, people will realise Jacobs was better than people thought.

GGG will be atg if he continues doing what he does best. Win.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees7448 View Post

Comment

Floyd became an ATG without fighting a single ¨1st ballot HOFer¨ in his prime, so why not

Comment

Working...
                      X