No announcement yet.

footwork

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• footwork

ok so ive been boxing for about 8 months now and have a fight coming up next month i am 6ft 4 and weight 73kg and i have fast hands but one thing i really lack is my footwork theres a kid in the gym whos footwork is really good and i want to have footwork like it

also would you say i train enough
    i skip 30 mins a day
    i run about 2 miles a day
    and i go to boxing gym 4 days a week for 2 hours
    when i get home i shadow box for a hour
    i do my sit ups and push ups in the morining
    i just turned 17 and i know iv'e started late but its a sport i love doing also how could i get mentally prepared for my fight as i know i will be nervous a few days before the fight

many thanks jamie.

I got good footwork by jumping off a huge bridge with my feet tied together.

Do it you dirty whore! DO IT!

Sorry.

Comment

:P seriously though i need some footwork drills as my footwork sucks

Comment

You'll never get good foot work by shadow boxing the incorrect way, so best bet is to ask your coach on his 2cs of your footwork and then work on it. My mate said a good way is to tie a rope to both legs a certain distance, then move about.

Comment

Yeah, get your basic footwork drills from your coach or whatever you've been doing already and start focusing on building up your side to side and turning movements. Use the heavybag as an opponent and practice spinning and turning as well as lateral movement.

Just remember that you should never cross your feet. Always move first with the foot that is closest to the direction you're moving in. If you don't it will slow you down a lot. Also do some skipping with ankle weights with very busy footwork routine. You can also do your basic footwork with said ankle weights. Focus on speed of your movement and balance while keeping your guard up.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            Yeah, get your basic footwork drills from your coach or whatever you've been doing already and start focusing on building up your side to side and turning movements. Use the heavybag as an opponent and practice spinning and turning as well as lateral movement.

Just remember that you should never cross your feet. Always move first with the foot that is closest to the direction you're moving in. If you don't it will slow you down a lot. Also do some skipping with ankle weights with very busy footwork routine. You can also do your basic footwork with said ankle weights. Focus on speed of your movement and balance while keeping your guard up.
            no, he shouldnt focus on speed of his movement as he hasnt mastered the basic technique of the footworks yet. there various footworks, like turning someone, finding angles, going back,forward side to side etc, i suggest you start off doing it SLOWLY and getting the right technique, the post which said "tie a rope ideal distance"-thats a good idea, but whats important is that you do it slowly and try and master every form of movement. good luck mate.

Comment

Question

Your post rocks!

Comment

A good way to improve your footwork is to take a couple of rolls of coloured tape (say red and black) and if you have access to a ring, great, if not on the floor but mark out a boxing ring.

Firstly take the red roll and tape an S figure, like a nazi ss s but a more flowing S without sharp angles do this from one side to the other. Then with another coloured tape, tape out a big circle, as big as will fit in the ring but make sure its close to a perfect circle as possible. Then on the inside of the inward bends of the S you need to mark two dots about the size of a horse hoof (one dot for each inward bend so there are two dots in total in the boxing ring)
                Then finally take a diagonal X from corner to corner.
                You will have the basis of correct footwork. The flowing S, versus the sharp angled X.
                Practice movement side to side and backwards and forwards, ONLY placing your feet on the tape. It is hard but eventually can be learnt, and your footwork should improve drastically.
                There are some spirititual aspects of this shape, and the lines represent meridians and energy flows throughout the universe and within the human body.
                Honestly, if you tap in to these with your footwork, you will feel energized and very light. This can work wonders and emphasizes rounded and flowing movement versus straight line technique.

Comment

Originally posted by PP--- View Post
                  A good way to improve your footwork is to take a couple of rolls of coloured tape (say red and black) and if you have access to a ring, great, if not on the floor but mark out a boxing ring.

Firstly take the red roll and tape an S figure, like a nazi ss s but a more flowing S without sharp angles do this from one side to the other. Then with another coloured tape, tape out a big circle, as big as will fit in the ring but make sure its close to a perfect circle as possible. Then on the inside of the inward bends of the S you need to mark two dots about the size of a horse hoof (one dot for each inward bend so there are two dots in total in the boxing ring)
                  Then finally take a diagonal X from corner to corner.
                  You will have the basis of correct footwork. The flowing S, versus the sharp angled X.
                  Practice movement side to side and backwards and forwards, ONLY placing your feet on the tape. It is hard but eventually can be learnt, and your footwork should improve drastically.
                  There are some spirititual aspects of this shape, and the lines represent meridians and energy flows throughout the universe and within the human body.
                  Honestly, if you tap in to these with your footwork, you will feel energized and very light. This can work wonders and emphasizes rounded and flowing movement versus straight line technique.
                  whereas i would normally be sceptical as im desperate to improve ile try this

Comment

footwork is an art on its own... i use to break dance and it gave me such a head start on the food work... running and skipping will help ur footwork and help u be lighter on ur feet...

but either u got it or u dont...
                    u can try to improve ur side to side movements, and front n back...
                    jus do what i do
                    when i shadow box, i do a few rounds jus throwin as much as i can to work the arms..
                    a few rounds being 100% technical and imagining an opponent in front of me... and then a few rounds ill barely throw shots n work on moving n footwork.

it is a great way to extend ur shadow box training as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X