Quartey wins on comeback

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartey wins on comeback

Bazooka Quartey scores win

Former world welterweight champion Ike Quartey scored an eighth round KO in his first fight in nearly half a decade.

The Bazooka, one of the most feared punchers in the game during his 1990s reign of terror alongside the likes of Felix Trinidad and Oscar De la Hoya, drew a capacity crowd of 5000 to the Azumah Nelson Sports Complex in his native Ghana.

Startling slowly, Quartey worked opponent Clint McNeil's body and dropped him with a right to the belly in the seventh. Two more knockdowns followed a round later and Quartey had scored his first win since before his narrowly lost to De la Hoya in 1999.

He said afterwards he wants to regain his world title.

Originally posted by barryboy
    Bazooka Quartey scores win

Former world welterweight champion Ike Quartey scored an eighth round KO in his first fight in nearly half a decade.

The Bazooka, one of the most feared punchers in the game during his 1990s reign of terror alongside the likes of Felix Trinidad and Oscar De la Hoya, drew a capacity crowd of 5000 to the Azumah Nelson Sports Complex in his native Ghana.

Startling slowly, Quartey worked opponent Clint McNeil's body and dropped him with a right to the belly in the seventh. Two more knockdowns followed a round later and Quartey had scored his first win since before his narrowly lost to De la Hoya in 1999.

He said afterwards he wants to regain his world title.
    thanks for the info my firend. I hope Ike can put it back together. He was a tremendous fighter. I loved the DLH v Quartey fight.

Comment

I see a Delahoya /Quartey rematch

Comment

Wouldn't mind seeing a rematch of that fight at all but the fight I wanted to see for a long time was Tito v Quartey and unfortunately we never got it at the time but depending on what weight Quartey's fighting at that would be another one i'd love to see.

Comment

i just read that Tito offered Ike the next fight and Quartey turned it down. Anyone else hear something along those lines?

Comment

Yeah I saw that headline. Quartey probably wants to test himself against a couple of lesser opponents before he goes for anything serious and seeing as this was his first victory since '99' he won't want to rush but eventually he will need to fight someone who will give him his confidence back. Tito went straight in with Mayorga but I think we'll see Quartey taking it slow.

Comment

Originally posted by barryboy
              Yeah I saw that headline. Quartey probably wants to test himself against a couple of lesser opponents before he goes for anything serious and seeing as this was his first victory since '99' he won't want to rush but eventually he will need to fight someone who will give him his confidence back. Tito went straight in with Mayorga but I think we'll see Quartey taking it slow.

Thanks for the info Barry. I think Ike should take it slow...I think he needs at least 2 more tune up guys before taking on any top notch comp. It's great to see him back in the ring though.

Comment

oh man ive never even seen him fight..
                is he white or black (or yellow!!!)

Comment

Ike will stop De La Hoya with an elbow shot

Comment

Wow, Ike dropped the guy with a body shot. That's power. I can''t wait for Quartey to get a few more fights under his belt then take on Vargas or Winky then go for DLH and Trinidad. Hopefully all that ring rust will be shaken off come 2006.

Comment

Working...
                    X