• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The conspiracy to control boxing with a new drug test

by Ricardo Lois
    Jan 21, 2010 -
    Hello Boxing Zombies,

Last week I reached out to let you know, if you are reading this, your a BOXING ZOMBIE!

So you have had a little over a week to come to the realization that boxing has you within its grips and this week, I have some new information.

With no proof, or solid evidence, aside the inner workings of my mind, I think there is a conspiracy taking place within one of the highest promoters in the land to overthrow small promoters and put a strangle hold on boxing.

Do you find it odd that even after Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather have decided not to fight over the timing of an Olympic style drug test a hearty debate is still taking place over the testing that occurs in the sport?

In The Grand Rapid Press today, the United States Anti-Doping Association's Chief Executive Travis Tygart stated that boxing drug tests are a "joke".

Looks like Mr. Tygart wants to pick up some new business at the expense of the sport.

Keep in mind, that REAL Olympic style drug test requires constant blood draws, with biological profiles kept for each competitor, and extensive laboratory work which is not cheap. If you want more in-depth information on the technical side of a strict drug testing program, click here.

All I know is that a move towards an Olympic style drug test could kill local boxing and small time promoters.

For example, Ken Thompson of Thompson Boxing runs successful local shows in Southern California. This Friday night in Ontario, he will host a card with six fights featuring local fighters. As it is, to have these fighters appear, the combatants need to take a yearly MRI, physical, and other tests, and procedures.

In a perfect world the fighter would pay for these examinations, or maybe the managers of the fighters, but if a promoter wants to hold a show, sometimes, they have to pony up these fees to make the event happen.

It can cost a promoter several thousand dollars just to make sure fighters are licenced to box.

Imagine if an comprehensive drug testing policy was put into effect nation wide. Where would the money for this come from? Ultimately, the promoter, if they want to stay in business.

Now again, I am not sure how much it costs for an Olympic style drug test, but I am sure it isn't $12.99 a year and if fighters are going to be forced to comply, it could put small time promoters out of business and quick.

But where does this all come from?

Do we have Floyd Mayweather Senior to thank? He was the one who came out loud and hard about Pacquiao possibly being on PEDS.

How about Floyd Mayweather Junior? Money walked away, along with Pacquiao, from a a sizable payday over the demand that Pacquiao be tested.

I doubt either man would want to destroy regional boxing and put small time promoters out of business.

So in my current conspiracy state of mind, I point the finger at Mr. Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions - again, with no proof, or evidence, aside from speculation.

Golden Boy is a promotional juggernaut, with connections to HBO broadcast dates, strong corporate sponsorship, and seemingly an agenda to sign-up every available boxer in site.

I am sure Golden Boy has the financial ability to fund drug testing for their fighters and eliminating local promoters brings them one step closer to controlling boxing.

Remember, this is the same firm which indirectly purchased The Ring magazine, and has partnership deals with arena moguls AEG, and USA Boxing - wouldn't the control of regional boxing in America be a logical next step?

Of course, it would be bad public relations for Mr. Schaefer to deliver a fiery speech in which he stated his desire to destroy all local competition - these promoters are the moms and pops of boxing, men and women that put on local shows for local audiences.

Golden Boy gobbling them up is the equivalent of Home Depot putting the local hardware store out of business, but again, it makes sense.

And remember, Schaefer is a corporate capitalist at heart, being a former big time banker and all. The goal of Capitalism, to control your market share.

So maybe I have had to much time to think and ponder with the rain battering down Los Angeles, but I think Mr. Schaefer pushed the drug testing clause, based on Team Mayweather's beliefs and public statements, only to further his secret agenda that will kill local boxing and put Golden Boy Promotions in a position to control another element of boxing.

This Olympic style testing in pro boxing is garbarge. It is only applicable in Olympics which athletes are tested 4 times in a period of 4 years. In pro boxing it is not applicable since boxers only train for 2 months. Boxing commission won't approve this tests because it can disrupt a boxers training and we all know urine is just as good as blood testing.

Comment

Originally posted by jasbar View Post
      This Olympic style testing in pro boxing is garbarge. It is only applicable in Olympics which athletes are tested 4 times in a period of 4 years. In pro boxing it is not applicable since boxers only train for 2 months. Boxing commission won't approve this tests because it can disrupt a boxers training and we all know urine is just as good as blood testing.
      there has to be a middle ground i think its absulotely bs to do this extensive drug testing. people can use this as their advantage aswell. just think about it i can demand everdy testing all i need to do is add more water on my body and be the naturally bigger and healthy guy i can basically have the most advantage in fight.

Comment

i smell floyds bullshet additional tests is loosing grounds.. good for him now the whole world knows he is just ducking pac..

Comment

I read somewhere that testing for HGH is done out of competition. Anybody know what is the cut-off period?

Comment

Originally posted by badboypeenoy View Post
            I read somewhere that testing for HGH is done out of competition. Anybody know what is the cut-off period?
            30 days before an event but they get tested after the event.

Comment

It sounds like that writer of that article needs to go back to the woods to his shack and build some more bombs.

Comment

Imgine there is a lot of boxers out there that need to be tested..Where are gonna get funds for those testings. Alot of boxers dont get money like floyd and pac do.

Comment

Working...
                X