Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had Lewis not retired would Vitali have become such a dominant force?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
    Lewis had major problems with all of those factors. Look at the shape he was in against Vitali

Yes he is. He looked slow and very beatable against Chisora. But Vitali is a freak when it comes to looking after himself. No drinking or partying and he keeps himself in fantastic shape.

Problem is, he, Wlad and Haye are the only ones in that division who take proper care of themselves. Vitali is a paper tiger surviving off of his reputation.

Foreman took a 10 year lay-off (avoiding punishment), then had some okay wins on the way to pretty much lucking out to beat Moorer. Moorer had to be a ****wit and try knock George out.

I'm not complaining. I like Big George.

Walcott did pretty well, I'll give you that, but he was an exceptionally slick, clever, cagey fighter. Not at all like any of the other guys named.

Holmes' only good win after losing to Spinks was Ray Mercer fighting the stupidest fight he possibly could've. That's all. Competitive with Holyfield but that's mainly a styles thing.
    Vitali was just one bout. If you recall, he didn't even expect to get that fight when he did and never had the chance to really prepare. But Lewis was in supreme shape against Tyson and the Rahman rematch right before that. Vitali has always looked beatable to me. That doesn't necessarily mean he is. Especially, in times like these. I'm not saying that all fighters do well in their old age. But, their success depends on those factors I had mentioned. I heard Joe Louis had said that old Walcott was actually better than young Walcott. Foreman had better smarts and ring tactics. Holmes, while he had less of a work-rate and slowed reflexes seemed to have an even greater confidence as an older fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
      Vitali was just one bout. If you recall, he didn't even expect to get that fight when he did and never had the chance to really prepare. But Lewis was in supreme shape against Tyson and the Rahman rematch right before that.
      Lewis was still a great fighter. I don't disagree about that. But the fact remains he showed up for that fight out of shape. He was prone to not taking certain fighters seriously and had a history of motivation and focus issues.

But the Klitschkos were coming into their primes and Lewis wasn't keeping very good care of Vitali has always looked beatable to me. That doesn't necessarily mean he is. Especially, in times like these.
      Vitali is beatable. I think a prime Lewis would tool him easily, but Lewis was not in his prime anymore and was starting to ballooon in weight. That's not the way to beat Vitali or Wlad, who despite what anyone says, keep themselves in fantastic shape all year round. Lewis did pull it off once, but he didn't look good doing it.

I'm not saying that all fighters do well in their old age. But, their success depends on those factors I had mentioned. I heard Joe Louis had said that old Walcott was actually better than young Walcott. Foreman had better smarts and ring tactics. Holmes, while he had less of a work-rate and slowed reflexes seemed to have an even greater confidence as an older fighter.
      I don't disagree with what Louis said about Walcott and what you say about Foreman

Holmes didn't achieve anything outside of a win over Ray Mercer though. Mercer was just following him around getting hit, it wasn't anything amazing. He didn't look great doing it.His best achievement was probably being competitive with Holyfield, and that's a styles thing.

Comment

Working...
      X