Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Remarks on the Antiquity of Pugilism" by Pierce Egan - 1824 (incl. audio recording)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Remarks on the Antiquity of Pugilism" by Pierce Egan - 1824 (incl. audio recording)

I just happened upon this completely by accident.

The text can be found here (many ways to read online or download, see left pane).

http://www.archive.org/details/boxia...etch00egangoog

Audio links can be found at the following link (links to a site which is dedicated to user-generated audio books of open-source material).

http://librivox.org/short-nonfiction...ction-vol-016/

Just scroll down and find it among the collection of shorts. Either right-click/save as, or just click the URLs to listen online.

It's around 45 minutes long.
    Last edited by Drunken Cat; 11-15-2011, 11:57 PM.

Just a short overview, as I just listened a little bit ago, he goes into the ancient history of boxing in Greece and Rome, its revival in Britan, some historic fights and fighters of the 18th century, and upto the contemporary time. He also goes into boxing tactics and strategy. At the end, he goes over techniques and training. A lot of the stuff is still current information for the most part, like straight punches instead of round ones (and why), the need to spar, the meaning of sparring, how to spar effectively, the reasons that punching technique should be first taught, and a lot more.

Comment

Last thing; this comes from his work "Boxiana or Sketches of Modern Pugilism", which I'm sure is available online, although not as far as I am aware in audio form except for this chapter.

Comment

The Mp3 links aren't working, takes me to Internet Archive but says the page can't be found. Been meaning to read Boxiana since the thread was posted on it here a while a go, haven't got around too it though.
        Will listen too it tomorrow, thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
          The Mp3 links aren't working, takes me to Internet Archive but says the page can't be found. Been meaning to read Boxiana since the thread was posted on it here a while a go, haven't got around too it though.
          Will listen too it tomorrow, thanks for posting.
          Apparently the urls are censored because they end with .mp3.

Just go to the LibriVox site and download/listen there.

http://librivox.org/short-nonfiction...ction-vol-016/

It's within the collection of shorts appearing here.

Comment

super interesting. Thanks a **** ton homie.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
              Last thing; this comes from his work "Boxiana or Sketches of Modern Pugilism", which I'm sure is available online, although not as far as I am aware in audio form except for this chapter.
              Hey Doshi, it's great to see another one here that loves the really old stuff, I did a thread on Boxiana,,,,, it's a really good read, hey man, pleased to meet you. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                Hey Doshi, it's great to see another one here that loves the really old stuff, I did a thread on Boxiana,,,,, it's a really good read, hey man, pleased to meet you. Keep up the good work.
                My interest in this regard is not limited to boxing, hence stumbled on this audio entirely by accident while browsing random other old stuff. Nothing like the classics. I'll definitely post things if/as I find them in the future as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                  My interest in this regard is not limited to boxing, hence stumbled on this audio entirely by accident while browsing random other old stuff. Nothing like the classics. I'll definitely post things if/as I find them in the future as well.
                  Oh so like me you are interested in history in general... I see Boxing as part of history, indeed every martial art,,,,,,,, Great to see you here.

Comment

Working...
                  X