No announcement yet.

Hal Bagwell

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal Bagwell

A british fighter with an impressive record but maybe limited opposition. He had long winning streaks which must have been hard to maintain in those days wher they faught on a regular basis and many of the guys had jobs aside back then.

Thats just all i know about Hal Bagwell.

Do any of you die hards know any more about this guy and how good he actually was?

Originally posted by number6 View Post
    A british fighter with an impressive record but maybe limited opposition. He had long winning streaks which must have been hard to maintain in those days wher they faught on a regular basis and many of the guys had jobs aside back then.

Thats just all i know about Hal Bagwell.

Do any of you die hards know any more about this guy and how good he actually was?
    No I don't, but after just observing his record, I'd also like to know more..
    Will get back to you if I find anything... Some record!

Comment

Hal bagwell

Hi there
      I'm maiden name was bagwell-johnston, Hal was my great uncle, my grandfather jack bagwell was his sparing partner and brother, he is still alive and living in Essex.
      What would you like to know?
      Thanks cara

Comment

Hal Bagwell was a club-fighter in England who for years was credited with the longest winning streak in boxing history.

The Ring Record Book listed Bagwell as number 1 on their all time list of most consecutive wins. From 1938-1948, Bagwell was credited with posting a 180-0 winning streak. However, in recent years there seems to be some doubts as to this winning run.

Even the Guiness Book of World Records listed Bagwell for years as the record holder for most consecutive wins.

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
          Hal Bagwell was a club-fighter in England who for years was credited with the longest winning streak in boxing history.

The Ring Record Book listed Bagwell as number 1 on their all time list of most consecutive wins. From 1938-1948, Bagwell was credited with posting a 180-0 winning streak. However, in recent years there seems to be some doubts as to this winning run.

Even the Guiness Book of World Records listed Bagwell for years as the record holder for most consecutive wins.
          I don't know if I should bring this up, but it seems to me his record was 180 fights, 175 wins, 2 draws, 3 no decision from 1938-1948. Many say his record is 178-0-5 . However it seems that many of his wins were during WW II and is sketchy. I know other sources have him 180-0 as well.He was 180-0, but I don't think he had 180 wins.

Packey McFarland with a winning streak of 97, 1905-15, has I think a more legitimate claim.
          Last edited by Greatest1942; 08-19-2011, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatest1942 View Post
            I don't know if I should bring this up, but it seems to me his record was 180 fights, 175 wins, 2 draws, 3 no decision from 1938-1948. Many say his record is 178-0-5 . However it seems that many of his wins were during WW II and is sketchy. I know other sources have him 180-0 as well.He was 180-0, but I don't think he had 180 wins.

Packey McFarland with a winning streak of 97, 1905-15, has I think a more legitimate claim.
            Honestly, I don't know if we will ever know the truth. A lot of fights weren't documented, I know that for a fact, because I still have 1,000's to be put in BoxRec.

Ring Record Book has Bagwell at 180 total bouts, with 5 draws or no-decisions. BoxRec has him 57-0-3 during that same period, but they most likely are missing some fights.

Like I said, many fights are still out their that aren't documented.

Comment

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
              Honestly, I don't know if we will ever know the truth. A lot of fights weren't documented, I know that for a fact, because I still have 1,000's to be put in BoxRec.

Ring Record Book has Bagwell at 180 total bouts, with 5 draws or no-decisions. BoxRec has him 57-0-3 during that same period, but they most likely are missing some fights.

Like I said, many fights are still out their that aren't documented.
              I agree its a shady area.

Comment

Working...
              X