No announcement yet.

Ali is greater than Robinson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali is greater than Robinson

1) Ali beat the better fighters, when those fighters were in their primes.

2) You can pick more fighters to beat Robinson than you can for Ali, in fantasy fights.

3) Ali's speed is one of, if not the, best of all-time, on a P4P basis.

4) Ali's title reign was much better than that of Robinson's. He had a better world title record and (in my opinion) beat the better fighters.

The numbers in red are the ranking of the fighter in the "50 Greatest Fighters of All-Time" list by The Ring magazine.

The numbers in blue are the ranking of the fighter in the "The 80 Best Fighters of the Last 80 Years" by The Ring magazine.

Robinson's record in world title fights: 14-7-1

Robinson's world title wins

Tommy Bell
    Jimmy Doyle
    Chuck Taylor
    Bernard Docusen
    Kid Gavilan
    Charley Fusari
    Jake LaMotta (#52 and #28)
    Randy Turpin
    Bobo Olson
    Rocky Graziano
    Gene Fullmer
    Carmen Basilio (#40)

Ali's record in world title fights: 22-3

Ali's world title wins

Sonny Liston
    Floyd Patterson
    George Chuvalo
    Henry Cooper
    Brian London
    Karl Mildenberger
    Cleveland Williams
    Ernie Terrell
    Zora Folley
    George Foreman (#25 and #20)
    Chuck Wepner
    Jean-Pierre Coopman
    Jimmy Young
    Richard Dunn
    Ken Norton
    Ron Lyle
    Joe Bugner
    Joe Frazier (#42 and #26)
    Alfredo Evangelista
    Earnie Shavers
    Leon Spinks
    Muhammad Ali
    41.07%
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    58.93%

Ali was immense !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i would accept a case for any of these 2 greats to be considered the Greatest Ever.....

but you have to understand that Ali himself said that "P4P Sugar Ray Robinson is The Greatest of All TImes"......of course you can say he was being modest & humble

Comment

Both were the greatest. Robinson beat a ton of greats in their prime though.
        Last edited by TBear; 03-18-2010, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Ali got too many gifts decisions. Norton II and III, Jimmy Young, that's 3 too many right there. Top two HW, for sure, but not greater than SRR.

Comment

Originally posted by £Hank$Moody€ View Post
            Ali got too many gifts decisions. Norton II and III, Jimmy Young, that's 3 too many right there. Top two HW, for sure, but not greater than SRR.
            You recon those are gifts? I remember finding them very difficult to score, but I'm not sold on gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by £Hank$Moody€ View Post
              pffft.....total bull****e mate.....they were all close fights...do you even know what a gift decision is???

btw i gave Norton II, III and Jimmy Young all to Ali......close fights

Comment

To me,Ali doesn't have an argument for being greater than robby.I would argue however that Ali's resume against elite black opposition was far greater than robbies,but so is every other great who didn't duck and avoid elite black opponents the way robby did.

I shall vote Ali just to upset the robby fanboys who think their hero was head and shoulders above every other fighter in this history of this sport.

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
                You recon those are gifts? I remember finding them very difficult to score, but I'm not sold on gifts.

Not really.Ali won the rematch fairly decisively.Although,he really didn't deserve the decision against Young.You would have thought looking so poor against a mediocre talent like Young would have given Ali a kick up the backside and start acting like a professional athlete rather than impersonating one....but sadly,he continued to show up to the ring as a bloated up whale.
                Last edited by Snopkins; 03-18-2010, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Ray would have beaten Ali if they were the same size.

Comment

ray robinson

Comment

Working...
                    X