No announcement yet.

Treadmill or Road

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treadmill or Road

I tend to do my cardio on the treadmill, havent done much on the raodz, is this a good thing or bad. Which would u say is better?.
    I also feel as tho if i did try to do some outdoors i wudnt push myslef hard enuff cos i wudnt have the time to look at as on a treadmill so kno how much i've done and how much i'm pushing myself becouse on a treadmill its easier for me to keep speed on 9 then for a minute then push it up to 12 for a minute then back down etc n be accurate but on street u cnt tell time unless u keep lookn at watch which puts u off kinda...need advice-shud i start doing running on street n if so give me the best way of doing it...

respect.

I'd recomend running outdoors. The thing about a treadmill is that it's really plain, there's nothing thrown in and like you said it's at a constant speed.

When your running on the street, your body I think gets pushed more because it's harder to run on a really hard surface, you have ups and downs on the road, and plus you can control how fast you go. For example before I'm done when I think I can't run anymore I do a nice sprint

If you get bored running the street then I have some suggestions, first mix up your routine. Look at the topic I posted on best thing to eat before cardio, there's some great running routines in there. If you mix it up a little (run at different paces) you won't get as bored.

Carry a watch. You can see how much time has passed if that helps
    Bring a walkman. Listening to music when you run can be good because you get focused on the music and your not thinking about how much further you have

Best of all, run somewhere that has some variety. I think it's easier when I run down the city street where I recognize the stores, stoplights, different streets, it gives you checkpoints kind of. Instead of thinking "oh god how much longer" your thinkin "oh hey I'm in the 1200 block, not that much longer" I dunno, it works for me

Comment

Originally posted by Brotherfromthehoods
      I tend to do my cardio on the treadmill, havent done much on the raodz, is this a good thing or bad. Which would u say is better?.
      I also feel as tho if i did try to do some outdoors i wudnt push myslef hard enuff cos i wudnt have the time to look at as on a treadmill so kno how much i've done and how much i'm pushing myself becouse on a treadmill its easier for me to keep speed on 9 then for a minute then push it up to 12 for a minute then back down etc n be accurate but on street u cnt tell time unless u keep lookn at watch which puts u off kinda...need advice-shud i start doing running on street n if so give me the best way of doing it...

respect.
      Both are good, it depends! if its too cold outside use the treadmill, if its a nice day run outside.

Its very important to have a treadmill on a slight incline, a couple of percent will do!! if you dont you will struggle changing from treadmill to road.
      Last edited by elveiel; 12-04-2004, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elveiel
        Both are good, it depends if its too cold outside used the treadmill, if its a nice days run outside.

Its very important to have a treadmill on a slight incline, a couple of percent will do!! if you dont you will struggle changing from road to treadmill.

I agree, but a very flat treadmill feels funny to run on, so it almost feels natural to incline it..

Comment

Originally posted by jack_the_rippuh
          I agree, but a very flat treadmill feels funny to run on, so it almost feels natural to incline it..
          Its funny at the gym, i see some people holding the rail whilst using the treadmill, its hard to explain but its like their just jumping on the spot!!

If you want a powerful run you have to use incline.

Comment

nothing beats the old road

Comment

if i ran outside how long should i run for?...how long do u guys jog or run for-and switch it up etc...how many days a week do u guys do cardio?

Comment

Originally posted by Brotherfromthehoods
                if i ran outside how long should i run for?...how long do u guys jog or run for-and switch it up etc...how many days a week do u guys do cardio?
                I dont set a time limit, i find a good route and run it as fast as i can, improving my my times as much as possible. when you can run the route fast, increase the distance.

You need to run at a good pace because slow jogging isnt much better than walking. Boxing is about explosive movement, you need to run powerful!!

Comment

The road is the best, but the mill is better than not running,

why on earth does people pay to run on a mill anyway if its not because of hte weather?

Comment

Hands down the outdoors, I mean I've lived in cold areas where you pretty much would want to stay in a controlled environment. I mean during the winter season, I'd say I use the treadmill 3 months straight, and man once the cold season winds down and you start to run outdoors again, keep in mind that I've been doin' cardio indoors for 3 straight months, so I'm feeling pretty good about being in - shape during the winter time and running the same exact distance outdoors, I found myself more exhausted, ' cause even if there's little wind resistance outside, it makes a difference and also another thing your mind is working cause of traffic and maybe pedestrians. I've pretty much avoided running on the streets, ' cause my shin splints starts to act up. So it's pretty much runnin' trails, a local track, or the gym where the surfaces have more " give ". Running on the treadmill makes me feel like a hamster, running on that d@mn wheel, alongside smelly people.
                    Last edited by rsl; 12-05-2004, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X