Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Police be allowed to use Drones?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Police be allowed to use Drones?

What do you think?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/l...200500642.html

Los Angeles police will test drones despite privacy concerns
    Los Angeles police will test drones despite privacy concerns
    American police have certainly used drones before, but not on this scale. The Los Angeles Police Commission has voted in favor of letting the LAPD fly drones in a year-long pilot program, making it the largest US police department to ever rely on the robotic aircraft. The force will use the drones for aerial searches, recon in tense situations (think: standoffs) and other tasks where officers would otherwise be at risk. The machines could save lives, according to the LAPD, but there were numerous concessions made to address privacy concerns -- and some people still aren't convinced these limits will prevent abuse.

The trial's rules restrict flights to SWAT team members in dangerous situations, such as when there's a heavily armed suspect on the loose. Drones will also be allowed for search and rescue missions. Every flight has to be approved, documented and reviewed, and there's a ban on facial recognition software. The Police Commission will receive and publish quarterly reports to track the drones' performance.

Critics, however, are worried that what the police say they'll do and what they'll actually do are two different things. As we've seen in the past, the LAPD isn't always forthright in its use of technology. Activists and lawyers are concerned that the police will be tempted to use drones for questionable surveillance (such as monitoring neighborhoods or tracking protesters), or that they'll outfit the drones with weapons. The LAPD actually obtained two drones in 2014, but scrapped plans to fly them due to precisely these kinds of public objections -- people aren't necessarily going to warm to the idea just because there are a few guidelines in place.

Sure but only with a warrant.....& if they get caught using it illegally then throw the book at them....lol....cops should get double the penalty for breaking any laws ESPECIALLY police brutality. They work for us....they are public servants which means I can say F-you to a cop & he shouldn't be able to do **** about it but say have a nice day then go bout his business. If he uses illegal force then we can as civilians be able to legally use force back. That would stop all the BS going around....

Comment

Feels big brother-y

Depends on how they are used. I wouldn't want a South Park-y scenario where we go outside and tons of drones are flying around low enough to peer directly into windows and what not.

But at a higher height it wouldn't bother me much. That'd be like when they pull out a copter during a manhunt, most people never think twice about em.
      Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 10-19-2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I'm cool with drones as long as airspace counts as property to some height in the air. I don't wanna be bumping into a drone in my backyard, but if they wanna go up to 3,000 ft (or some such height) & use some fancy camera to take a picture of something they feel is illegal happening, fair play.

Its a lil creepy to be droning outside of windows, but that seems like something that they could be doing within reason as well.

I'm personally of the belief that with the technology we have growing more strong & widely used that any crime committed outside will be on camera at some future date. It'll be like google earth 24/7/365. So this is coming like it or not & drones aren't even the end game.

And hell I like the idea of drones being the public face in many police vs civilian exchanges. That would save cops life & prevent many cop killing civilian situations as the drone wouldn't need to take deadly force first. The drone could wait til a civilian shows he's legit willing to fire a weapon & either kill him or just take him out thru less lethal measures.

Comment

Originally posted by j.razor View Post
          Sure but only with a warrant.....& if they get caught using it illegally then throw the book at them....lol....cops should get double the penalty for breaking any laws ESPECIALLY police brutality.
          Good luck with that. I bet the number of police kicked off the police force via illegal warrants or similar things is tiny & those taken to court for it criminally or civilly is even tinier.

Comment

No, not cool with it at all. It just amuses me how some want to take guns away from law abiding citizens, but have no problem allowing police forces to become increasingly militarized. Especially a police force with the track record of the LAPD.

Comment

try it...i'll have my drone in the air ****ing wit that thing

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                No, not cool with it at all. It just amuses me how some want to take guns away from law abiding citizens, but have no problem allowing police forces to become increasingly militarized. Especially a police force with the track record of the LAPD.
                There is no question the line between the government, military & law enforcement is becoming blurrier, but thats always been a blurry thing if we are being honest.

That said I trust the average military or police guy to not wanna kill me or rob me or whatever more than I trust the average "law abiding guy with a gun" or without a gun wanting to kill me, rob me or whatever.

Freedom is gonna be a word with a changed definition in another 20, 30 years & its already a changing word. Privacy is gonna be a harder thing to attain moving forward. Get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                  try it...i'll have my drone in the air ****ing wit that thing
                  Your drone gonna be like the Pinto the the government or police lambo drone. Good luck with that.

Comment

Does the LASD already have clearance for drone use?

I've seen a few police chases where they've used them, even the news reporters were pointing it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X