Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is greater? Thomas Hearns or Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearn's standing in the all time welterweight division is greater than that of Holmes's in the heavyweight division.

Comment

Larry Holmes was heavyweight champion of the world back when it meant something. So I would vote for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
        Hearn's standing in the all time welterweight division is greater than that of Holmes's in the heavyweight division.
        I think most would rank both as top 10 in their respective divisions. Wouldn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          I think most would rank both as top 10 in their respective divisions. Wouldn't you?
          Yes but there are certain guys who I believe would beat Holmes no matter what. For Hearns I think he is a wild card for anyone at welterweight and stacks up about 50/50 with everyone there except perhaps Robinson and Leonard.

Comment

hw are stuck in their div. everyone else can move around and push their limits. lh is my favorite hw but i have to go with th.

Comment

Originally posted by True-Boxing-Fan View Post
              Yea but when Holmes started to make his mark most of the great fighters from the 70's and that era were way past their prime.
              True, but in any era, the best you can do is dominate and he did, like Marciano.

Comment

Yes but there are certain guys who I believe would beat Holmes no matter what. For Hearns I think he is a wild card for anyone at welterweight and stacks up about 50/50 with everyone there except perhaps Robinson and Leonard.
                If we're talking h2h then surely Holmes is a better bet at heavy? Considering Hearns chin problems, he could be a candidate for a KO against just about every top welter in history.

With Holmes and his iron will, not to mention superior defense and physicality, don't you think he'd have a better shot against any top heavy?

Comment

If we're talking h2h then surely Holmes is a better bet at heavy? Considering Hearns chin problems, he could be a candidate for a KO against just about every top welter in history.

With Holmes and his iron will, not to mention superior defense and physicality, don't you think he'd have a better shot against any top heavy?
                  I could see prime Ali, Liston, Tyson, and Foreman clearly beating prime Holmes.

Hearns like I said is a wild card against any welter in history. His chin is literally the only thing holding him back.

Comment

Hearns like I said is a wild card against any welter in history. His chin is literally the only thing holding him back.
                    The 'Hearns has a glass chin' is blown way out of proportion imo. At his natural/best weight, welterweight, he was only stopped ONCE and that was by Ray Leonard in the 14th round I think it was. Hearns suffered 2 more pure KO losses ABOVE the welterweight division, at middleweight against 2 massive punchers in Hagler and Barkley. The fact that it took Hearns to have to move up out of his best weight before getting sparked coupled with the fact that it took near enough 14 rounds for one of the best ever to knock out Hearns in his ONLY KO loss at welter makes the notion that any power punching welter would spark Tommy extremely ridiculous.

Comment

I agree that prime versions of those fighters would likely beat a prime Holmes but hearns wouldn't beat Robinson, Leonard either. I don't think hearns power would be enough of an equalising factor against the top Walters in history.

So going back to the original point both guys have a similar standing in their divisions but holmes was once THE heavyweight champion and that's ranks him higher all time.

Comment

Working...
                      X