Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agree Or Disagree, Ricardo Lopez Is Greater Than Carlos Zarate?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agree Or Disagree, Ricardo Lopez Is Greater Than Carlos Zarate?

???
    ???
    ???

Actually I disagree. Lopez didn't fight the same level of competition. Zarate's losses don't damage him enough to rate him below.

Comment

I dont know enoug about Lopez to say off the bat, but I will say that Zarate gets overlooked a little. He never lost at bantamweight(Pintor was a robbery), KOed some good fighters.

Comment

Since I have Lopez as a top 10 pound-for-pounder all time... I'd wholeheartedly agree with this assertion.

Lopez may have been a more perfect fighter than Joe Gans, and may have been as perfect as Sugar Ray Robinson. The only think he suffers from is the lack of an ultra-competitive division around him. However, his resume is underrated by most; he fought some tough customers and came out on top with near-flawless performances.

At one point I had Lopez ranked above Joe Louis all-time. That's how much I think of his skills. The man had no weaknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Steak View Post
          I dont know enoug about Lopez to say off the bat, but I will say that Zarate gets overlooked a little. He never lost at bantamweight(Pintor was a robbery), KOed some good fighters.
          As a bantamweight Zarate's power was lethal. Too bad he came a few years too late to fight Olivares at the Forum in LA.

Comment

I'm a Lopez fan and I have to agree. Lopez's level of opposition may not have been that great, but make up for the fact that he's defended his title countless times and has dominated the division. Plus, his skill set is something to behold. One of the most perfect fighters ever.
            People seem to forget that Zarates first 25 fights were against fighters who had never won a fight.
            Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 04-26-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
              I'm a Lopez fan and I have to agree. Lopez's level of opposition may not have been that great, but make up for the fact that he's defended his title countless times and has dominated the division. Plus, his skill set is something to behold. One of the most perfect fighters ever.
              People seem to forget that Zarates first 25 fights were against fighters who had never won a fight.
              To be fair, Lopez's first 25 opponents were quite similar but i'm still inclined to agree with those who claim he's greater than Zarate. Lopez imo was a more dominant champion over 2 weights. The fact he remained undefeated in way over 20 title fights while also avenging an isolated draw late in his career (vs Rosendo Alvarez) is somewhat difficult to argue with.

Comment

Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
                You can't trust boxrec's records of foreign fighters from the past. I'm pretty certain that those fighters had better records than they appear in their listings.

Comment

Working...
                X