No announcement yet.

Prime Roy Jones Jr= Neo from the Matrix

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Roy Jones Jr= Neo from the Matrix

In his prime many wanted to be just like Roy, even sound like him. I for one thought Mayweather and Mosley would be able to do some of the things Roy was capable of as they moved up in weight but that was the youth in me then. Too even think that anyone can ever do what Roy could I guess is just wishful thinking. The speed and reflexes Jones had for his weight and height is what I believe makes his so special. I even thought that Andre Ward would be able to but HBO quickly threw him under the bus and even Larry Merchant said he needed to find his own identity b/c he can't do what Roy Jones Jr can. Some experts say Roy should have fought Dariusz Michalczewski and Joe Calzaghe while in his prime but for what, everybody all over the world knew who Roy Jones Jr. was and is but never in the states can you then or can you now show a picture of Calzaghe and Michalczewski and get anybody except the people on this board lol. If they really wanted to fight the legend in his prime they would have campaigned for it the way Ricky Hatton called out Floyd Mayweather the same way Paul Williams called out Margarito instead of blowing smoke. I hope Roy will now retire b/c it was difficult watching him fight last week, he still makes his classic reflex noise that followed blistering combinations in the past but are now are just faints and fumes but no substance or even a punch. Bernard may have got the victory last weekend but the real victory was Roy proving he wasn't going to let Bernard make him look bad and I hope that was enough for him to call it a career in the most unforgiving sport ever.

It is very sad that people coming to boxing the last 5-8 years probably don't have a real understanding of just how special Roy Jones Jr. was, and judge him based on the version we see now.

In his prime, at 160 and 168, it is very arguable NO ONE could beat Roy Jones, not decisively. He was that freakishly athletic and that good at using it. Possibly the most physically gifted fighter the sport has ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      It is very sad that people coming to boxing the last 5-8 years probably don't have a real understanding of just how special Roy Jones Jr. was, and judge him based on the version we see now.

In his prime, at 160 and 168, it is very arguable NO ONE could beat Roy Jones, not decisively. He was that freakishly athletic and that good at using it. Possibly the most physically gifted fighter the sport has ever seen.
      thats why I had to write what I did, it's hard to believe it's been 13 years since Roy came out with RedMan and Method Man. I mean it was 17 years since he won his first title at middleweight, I was 11 years old and now I'm 28 years old and I got some of that platinum ice (gray hairs) on my head so in essence nothing last forever and it's hard to let go and fear being forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post

Im glad you understand, alot of people are 2 young to remember Roy's ridiculous talents

Comment

Originally posted by bazil82 View Post
          In his prime many wanted to be just like Roy, even sound like him. I for one thought Mayweather and Mosley would be able to do some of the things Roy was capable of as they moved up in weight but that was the youth in me then. Too even think that anyone can ever do what Roy could I guess is just wishful thinking. The speed and reflexes Jones had for his weight and height is what I believe makes his so special. I even thought that Andre Ward would be able to but HBO quickly threw him under the bus and even Larry Merchant said he needed to find his own identity b/c he can't do what Roy Jones Jr can. Some experts say Roy should have fought Dariusz Michalczewski and Joe Calzaghe while in his prime but for what, everybody all over the world knew who Roy Jones Jr. was and is but never in the states can you then or can you now show a picture of Calzaghe and Michalczewski and get anybody except the people on this board lol. If they really wanted to fight the legend in his prime they would have campaigned for it the way Ricky Hatton called out Floyd Mayweather the same way Paul Williams called out Margarito instead of blowing smoke. I hope Roy will now retire b/c it was difficult watching him fight last week, he still makes his classic reflex noise that followed blistering combinations in the past but are now are just faints and fumes but no substance or even a punch. Bernard may have got the victory last weekend but the real victory was Roy proving he wasn't going to let Bernard make him look bad and I hope that was enough for him to call it a career in the most unforgiving sport ever.
          Very well written..i 100% with everything you said there nice one bro..

Comment

I wanted RJJ to retire years ago. It's sad but I think he did irreparable damage to his legacy and image.

Comment

It was easy looking great against 100-1 shot bums though wasnt it?
              All his mandatories were a joke who didnt belong in the same ring as him,nobody knew who the **** they were lol

Comment

he was a beast with a great resume, absolutley destroyed top contenders

Comment

RJJ was a great and entertaining fighter. Now he is just another in a long line of boxing trajedies.

Comment

Originally posted by elephant man View Post
                    It was easy looking great against 100-1 shot bums though wasnt it?
                    All his mandatories were a joke who didnt belong in the same ring as him,nobody knew who the **** they were lol
                    Yeah, that's usually the case with mandatories.

Comment

Working...
                    X