Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which fighter(s) sparked you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was kind of undecided on Mayweather prior to the Judah fight. His patient demolition of Zab (after being put under intense early pressure) baited my curiosity and after that I watched all of his fights. Against Oscar he coasted. I was a touch disgruntled that he didn't capitalise on his obvious advantages. But then boxing is a potentially lethal sport. Why risk your health against a heavier hitter when you can just keep the scorecard ticking over and your chin safely out of harm's way?

Against Hatton I was impressed. Indeed, I thought Floyd was right at the pinnacle of his prime. Ricky gets a lot of bagging in here for one reason or another. His performance that night is held up as an indicator of his true worth as a fighter. But people need to understand that that night Floyd would have made anybody look like a Mexican roadsweeper. He was untouchable - in every sense of the word. Ricky could have had more hands than Vishnu and it wouldn't have made much difference. The way Floyd - unexpectedly - chose to give Ricky the inside only to nullify his work with textbook defensive manoeuvres was worth the PPV alone. Best of all - the 'check hook'. I've replayed that punch countless times. At times I wonder whether Floyd wrote the script for the fight and Ricky was hired simply as an actor with a bit of stuntwork thrown in for good measure. In the lead up to that punch it's almost as if one of Floyd's entourage had Ricky dangling on the end of string like a marionette: move forward ... move forward ... move forward ... lunge in - [strings cut]. The best executed punch I've seen in years. Bravo!

But the cherry on the top came after the fight. With thousands of boozed-up Brits disgruntled over Hatton's loss the potential for trouble - especially after some of Floyd's comments during the promotion of the fight - in that arena was high. When Floyd took the mic I winced. The boos were deafening before he'd even said a word. But Floyd defused the situation entirely with a magnanimous speech which - magically - had the fans cheering for him during the following press conference. That night sold to me Floyd the Fighter, Floyd the Promoter and Floyd the Human Being. The guy is peerless and I am a convert.

Comment

• Ooops - forgot to mention Gamboa. I've watched a couple of his fights and I like what I see. Not so much technically. I think he's verging on suicidal keeping his guard so low. He should watch some Naz videos. Naz was faster than Gamboa and even he got tagged - at his prime, too. No, I just feel that Gamboa is a free spirit. Like Naz I think he'd probably not benefit from a trainer who forced him to think too much. His strength is his weakness. But most of all - he's an entertainer. Right now boxing seems a touch bereft of such. With a bit of luck Gamboa will go all the way - probably giving his trainer and the fans multiple coronary failures in the process. Who said winning is easy?

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
        No doubt, both of them are legends and ATGs.

It sucks they hate each other, but it's not all just because Marco calld Erik an "ignorant Indian" and sucker punched him.

After their 2rd fight, Barrera tried to bury the hatchet by finally shaking Morales' hand, and Erik threw a bottle of water at him.

More recently, Barrera has been pretty respectful of Erik in the press, never potshotting him at all. But more recently when asked about Barrera, Erik said something like "Why do I have to talk about him? He's a motherfucker!".

Both guys are seriously stubborn.

And I don't get why they both hate my boy Marquez.
        The water bottle incident was after the third fight... it hit Barrera's dad. Your boy (and mine too) -Hyperion- said that Erik said something like, "In boxing, rivalries last forever." (En Espanol) Then Barrera tried to say something else and Morales responded back with, "Chinge tu madre", which roughly translates into "**** your mother."

It always makes me laugh when I see Morales say "Chinge tu madre".

That time he said "Why do I have to talk about that ******, why can't I talk about myself?" is from a long time ago. It's on the countdown to Pacquiao-Morales III.

I think they are actually okay now to be honest.

Even so... Barrera is a dry **** (the worst kind) in my book.

Comment

• Mike Tyson of course..How could'nt you have not gotten sparked up by watching his exciting fights? And also.....
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<< I really dont gotta explain why,for him
          Last edited by KING 2K10; 03-25-2009, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X