Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Spanish speakers have you gouys noticed also how bad this HBO interpreter is?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Ray Torres, all Mexican cornermen ever say is 'throw the left to the body'.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
      According to Ray Torres, all Mexican cornermen ever say is 'throw the left to the body'.

can you blame them?
      sound advice

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
        thats kinda true

Comment

Originally posted by New England
          there's just no way HBO has an outright bad interpreter. if that were the case he'd be replaced, the way

my spanish isn't nearly good enough to speak to his specific interpretations in each case, but they pay this guy a lot of money, and NE speaks that language with fluency.

these guys are in corners are not discussing plans for a nuclear reactor. it's very simple stuff. if he's bad enough that he's f#cking it up consistently he'll just be replaced. if you guys could do his job you would. if nothing else, he has a great voice for TV. if you don't you'll sound completely out of place in a broadcast. there's more going on here, methinks.

his hardest/more technical translation work is probably done in the fighter meetings, for the promos, etc, when he's not on live TV and listening to these guys talk through microphones in crowded arenas.

he's clearly got an agenda, which is probably the same as anybody else here who has a boss : "do what your boss tells you to do.."

hbo is in the business of entertaining people and selling fighters. the interpreter is going to put a "party line" type spin on whatever he's interpreting. he's trying to "sound good."
          He is not good at all. Most spanish speaking posters here agree that he does not translate everything in the correct context.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
            lmao the showtime guy is prican and hes the worst.....

Olaya(HBO's) is actually pretty good....i think he just thought it was classless of Lara to say that and didnt want to repeat it.....
            thats not his job to inject his opinion of what he thinks the majority of the audience should and should not hear. His JOB is to translate.

Comment

man those interrupter sucks and tell their own stories. Ive seen people take what the interrupter said as fact and that not what the fighter said LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by jtcs1981 View Post
                He is not good at all. Most spanish speaking posters here agree that he does not translate everything in the correct context.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

in the correct context? yes, i know what the term "context" relates, but i you'll need to explain to me further what you mean.

let me guess this straight, you think you can do a better job than he does, or you simply think that he's not translating everything as directly as possible?

he's not trying to go word for word and give the most accurate translation. he's trying to show the fighters in a good light in the interviews, and sell the product. it's not like these guys are always super coherent. some of the stuff you hear you don't want translated directly because it's a poor answer.

it's perhaps not fair to the fighters, but it's almost certainly not a product of an inability to go word for word / idea for idea in a translation

i speak enough spanish to get a good deal of what i hear in interviews after the fights. up to 100?% for the guys with the simple dialogue and an accent i can deal with. i've spoken it for about 10 years, but again, it's childlike spanish at best. still, some of the stuff i hear from the fighters shouldn't be translated word for word.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
                  thats not his job to inject his opinion of what he thinks the majority of the audience should and should not hear. His JOB is to translate.

that is not his job.
                  you are not his boss. his boss is not a consumer of this product. he's the producer of it.

huge difference. you want a direct translation. you're consuming the product.

HBO wants a product they can sell and broadcasts that are not going to get people to change the channel because of awkwardness from a fighter interview.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

that is not his job.
                    you are not his boss. his boss is not a consumer of this product. he's the producer of it.

huge difference. you want a direct translation. you're consuming the product.

HBO wants a product they can sell and broadcasts that are not going to get people to change the channel because of awkwardness from a fighter interview.

Yeah people change the channel during controversy. I bet everyone changed the channel during floyd and mechants argument.

Ok argue semantics on what I want as a consumer vs what his boss wants. I guess you are right, HBO does like him because they havent fired him, point taken. I dont like him as a viewer because I want to hear what the fighter has to say, its his chance to speak on the mic and we are big boys and girls and can handle whatever he has to say. This is not the NCAA football league giving out penalties for celebrating touchdowns, this is HBO premium cable.

Its silly to censor it out in english when its already been said in spanish. They are probably already using a short time delay incase someone flashes their junk or something, if its really that bad then use it which I never seen them have to.
                    Last edited by elfag; 11-11-2012, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      in the correct context? yes, i know what the term "context" relates, but i you'll need to explain to me further what you mean.

let me guess this straight, you think you can do a better job than he does, or you simply think that he's not translating everything as directly as possible?

he's not trying to go word for word and give the most accurate translation. he's trying to show the fighters in a good light in the interviews, and sell the product. it's not like these guys are always super coherent. some of the stuff you hear you don't want translated directly because it's a poor answer.

it's perhaps not fair to the fighters, but it's almost certainly not a product of an inability to go word for word / idea for idea in a translation

i speak enough spanish to get a good deal of what i hear in interviews after the fights. up to 100?% for the guys with the simple dialogue and an accent i can deal with. i've spoken it for about 10 years, but again, it's childlike spanish at best. still, some of the stuff i hear from the fighters shouldn't be translated word for word.
                      like in the Lara interview, Lara said "el es un pendejo, no tiene corazon" which means "he is a stupid/dummy, he has no heart" he also said that this a top rank promotion card, n the dumb translator said that it was top rank/goldenboy card

its just frustrating to see this translators, that way the public can understand this fighters thoughts on the fights
                      Last edited by TX_BOXNG; 11-11-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X