No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez overrated on NSB. Joe Calzaghe was better

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio Martinez overrated on NSB. Joe Calzaghe was better

I think Sergio Martinez is pretty overrated on here, don't get me wrong he is p4p one of the best in the world but there are better fighters out there, guys like Ward, Gamboa, Marquez, Hopkins, Donaire (arguably), maybe even Cotto at this stage, and I find it laughable that people try and put him in the same bracket as Pac and May.

He has some great natural talent, great speed, good power, but as a total package he is not all that great. He can only fight at one distance, and quite frankly has struggled with guys who are nothing more than decent/solid opponents.

As a complete fighter Calzaghe was much better for me, but did not get half the accolades across NSB, a lot of hate though. I think Martinez is very likeable it's a good story, he has come from nowhere and peaked late, has some spectacular knockouts but I wish some people would stop overrating his status in boxing. I have said it before and I'll say it again, on here too much emphasis is put on KO's and guys that can punch.

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
    I think Sergio Martinez is pretty overrated on here, don't get me wrong he is p4p one of the best in the world but there are better fighters out there, guys like Ward, Gamboa, Marquez, Hopkins, Donaire (arguably), maybe even Cotto at this stage, and I find it laughable that people try and put him in the same bracket as Pac and May.

He has some great natural talent, great speed, good power, but as a total package he is not all that great. He can only fight at one distance, and quite frankly has struggled with guys who are nothing more than decent/solid opponents.

As a complete fighter Calzaghe was much better for me, but did not get half the accolades across NSB, a lot of hate though. I think Martinez is very likeable it's a good story, he has come from nowhere and peaked late, has some spectacular knockouts but I wish some people would stop overrating his status in boxing. I have said it before and I'll say it again, on here too much emphasis is put on KO's and guys that can punch.

Calzaghe was dropped by two 40 year olds. Martinez would whoop that ass.

Comment

Originally posted by elfag View Post
      lol. sergio is a decent fighter, top ten p4p without a doubt, top 5 maybe but no higher than that. and the above post goes to show how over rated martinez is.

Comment

Very poor...

Comment

Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
          lol. sergio is a decent fighter, top ten p4p without a doubt, top 5 maybe but no higher than that. and the above post goes to show how over rated martinez is.
          Yeah I rest my case.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            Very poor...

Really?

Lets see, Sergio is on his third weight class where he became lineal champion by way of KO win over the previous champion.

Calzaghe became undisputed at 168 (his only real weight class his entire career) by waiting for RJJ to move up, gathering up the vacant belts and beating Lacy who never did anything worthwhile. Fights eurobums for the better part of a decade and finally faces RJJ after hes been KTFO numerous times and gets dropped in the first round and is unable to stop Jones when no names like Green were able to.

ATG my ass.

Comment

Martinez got dropped twice by Richard Williams. What does it have to do with anything?

Comment

Really?

Lets see, Sergio is on his third weight class where he became lineal champion by way of KO win over the previous champion.

Calzaghe became undisputed at 168 (his only real weight class his entire career) by waiting for RJJ to move up, gathering up the vacant belts and beating Lacy who never did anything worthwhile. Fights eurobums for the better part of a decade and finally faces RJJ after hes been KTFO numerous times and gets dropped in the first round and is unable to stop Jones when no names like Green were able to.

ATG my ass.
                After your first sentence it's clear you don't have a clue about boxing, either that or you just randomly decide to make up your own history. Which you have done in the rest of the post.

Comment

Really?

ATG my ass.
                  He did beat Hopkins though

Comment

Really?

ATG my ass.
                    Waiting for RJJ to move up? Roy moved up a year before Calzaghe even got his first title shot at 168. Herp

Comment

Working...
                    X