No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Froch’s Rematch Ultimatum Leads To Larger Questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Froch’s Rematch Ultimatum Leads To Larger Questions

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - It’s a predictable as political gridlock.

When a boxing fan – casual or otherwise – is asked to name the sport’s most prominent problem, chances are exceedingly good that he or she will say something along the lines of “It’s just gotten too complicated.”

And just as predictable is a subsequent scurry by the questioner – be it respected journalist, smart-aleck blogger or omnipotent Twitter-jockey – back to the soapbox, where he or she will indignantly peck away at the greedy, corrupt sanctioning bodies to the delight of a rapt, sheep-like audience.

The mouths roar. The masses cheer.

And the problems persist unabated.

Additional evidence of the latter point could come within a week’s time, which is the limit IBF super middleweight champ Carl Froch has imposed on past conqueror Mikkel Kessler to accept or reject his proposal for a English rematch of their initial 2010 encounter in Denmark.

Kessler won nine, eight and seven rounds on the three scorecards in the first go-round and claimed afterward he’d be agreeable to the idea of giving Froch another crack on his own home turf.

The intervening three years have featured divergent paths for the two belt-holders.

Froch has won four of five in 33 months – losing just to No. 1 Andre Ward and coming back with Nottingham stoppages of unbeaten Lucian Bute and road-tripping American Yusaf Mack. [Click Here To Read More]

interesting read

Comment

This article hits the nail on the head and I will say what I have said before I am old school and still believe if you hold a world title belt you know and work by the rules of the orginaisation and not the organisation around your agends. Froch new he wanted the re-matches with Kessler,Bute and Ward so instead of defending his titl against Stevenson in October he chose Mack not even ranked in the top 15 (which should never of been santioned but anyway) now he expects the No 1 contender to step aside again while he pursues his own agenda under the banner of the IBF - enough is enough if you want to hoid the belt fight the number 1 contender because you would expect that if the roles were reversed - if you don't hold enough respect and integrity relinquish the belt and leave it to those who will respect the honour of been there world champion - Now let all the Froch fans come out of the woodwork and have a go at me I can take it - Froch has no honour or dignity everthing wrong with todays sports man a waste of time and space.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyu View Post
        Froch new he wanted the re-matches with Kessler,Bute and Ward so instead of defending his titl against Stevenson in October he chose Mack not even ranked in the top 15
        He chose Oosthuizen, we know this but it didn't happen. Stevenson was contracted to fight George in October.

Now he expects the No 1 contender to step aside again while he pursues his own agenda under the banner of the IBF - enough is enough if you want to hoid the belt fight the number 1 contender because you would expect that if the roles were reversed - if you don't hold enough respect and integrity relinquish the belt and leave it to those who will respect the honour of been there world champion - Now let all the Froch fans come out of the woodwork and have a go at me I can take it - Froch has no honour or dignity everthing wrong with todays sports man a waste of time and space.
        Froch is willing to vacate if need be, it's the IBF who have offered him a waiver. Should he turn it down?

Froch worked his way up the hard way, he wants to take another hard fight in Kessler and become a bona fide star of UK boxing (something that has eluded him for years).

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyu View Post
          Froch has no honour or dignity everthing wrong with todays sports man a waste of time and space.
          You couldn't be more wrong it's actually funny, Froch embodies everything good about the sport. A willingness and a desire to fight the best consistently that's a rare thing in boxing. Not fighting your mandatory to fight a much better opponent who already beat you, somehow makes you honourless and undignified?

Yet somehow defending his belt against a weak no name, unworthy opponent makes him honourable?

Kessler vs Froch doesn't need a worthless strap these belts mean less every day.

Comment

I havent seen a thread on it but I assume that Bute chose not to pursue his rematch clause?

Theres alot of talk about Carl vs Kessler or Steveson but I thought Bute was the one who was contractually entitled to a fight with Froch next. Im assuming after his comeback fight he knew he had no chance in a return and has stepped aside

Comment

Originally posted by G22 View Post
              I havent seen a thread on it but I assume that Bute chose not to pursue his rematch clause?

Theres alot of talk about Carl vs Kessler or Steveson but I thought Bute was the one who was contractually entitled to a fight with Froch next. Im assuming after his comeback fight he knew he had no chance in a return and has stepped aside
              Bute agreed to step aside to let Froch fight Kessler. He still retains the rematch option.

Comment

Bute agreed to step aside to let Froch fight Kessler. He still retains the rematch option.
                If Carl fights Stevenson instead I assume Butes okay with that aswel.
                He probably wants Carl to add more mileage so he has a better chance but my suspicion is he doesnt really want the return at all.

Comment

As long as holding a title guarantees a fighter, "established" or not, the lion's share of the purse on fight night, the fighter will seek recognition as being champion of the sanctioning body.

There's the loophole. The boxers don't benefit from the title of being champion as much as the attention and financial gain they get for holding it.

Comment

Author makes a good point about the use of instant replays to determine whether a cut is caused by a headbutt or punch.

Comment

Working...
                    X