Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Roberto Duran the best lightweight of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    I may be a little baised but I rank #2 behind robinson as the best fighter pound for pound and easily the best lightweight. I would really like to see footage of gans though.

Easily the best lightweight? I don't see how you can just put him head and shoulders above Leonard and Gans. As far as p4p....he doesn't have the resume to be in the top 5.

Comment

• Top 5

1. Benny Leonard
      2. Henry Armstrong
      3. Robert Duran
      4. Pernell Whitaker
      5. Joe Gans

Anyone of these could be #1 AT, no argument for any of them, pick and choose in any order, there is absolutely no way anyone correctly does it, since it's impossible to find out, and all 5 had an awesome resume for the division, put them in any order you wish and you won't be wrong.

If you could take them out of time and fight a 5 man tournament in their Prime, I doubt any one of them dominates the tournament, I would be they each beat each other.

Comment

• Definitely the best lightweight ever and in my opinion, the best of all time at any weight. Hand of Stone was the best.

Comment

• Very interesting thread with some good posts..

Not sure how to rank them but the top would in some order for me would probably be

Duran
          Ortiz
          Pernell
          Armstrong
          Gans

Honorable mention to Chavez, leonard, arguello, floyd, shane,

Very tough to narrow it down, leonard should be on my list due to resume alone, but I just don't think he was as great as the ones I mentioned

Comment

• Top 10 for Duran

I found this article and thought the hardc0re Duran fans here might enjoy it:

http://www.thefightcity.com/top-12-g...ands-of-stone/

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              I found this article and thought the hardc0re Duran fans here might enjoy it:

http://www.thefightcity.com/top-12-g...ands-of-stone/

Aside from the first Leonard fight I enjoy watching Duran in the third DeJesus fight, and against Lampkin and Palomino more than any others. All time great performances.

I see where Lampkin spent five days in the hospital and Duran said afterwards, "Next time I'll put him in the morgue". Not exactly classy but that's not really talked about much today and Duran seems to get a pass for things like that. It makes me wonder if this would have been different if the internet existed during that time.

On a different subject, I never realized that Duran lost to Hagler's half brother Robbie Sims. I can't imagine Duran losing to him under any circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                On a different subject, I never realized that Duran lost to Hagler's half brother Robbie Sims. I can't imagine Duran losing to him under any circumstances.
                That was part of a PPV card that I watched in a bar. For some reason they held that card outdoors in Las Vegas during the summer. Sims definitely deserved the decision, and it appeared that Duran was on a steady decline. Of course the Barkley match would show that he had one more great fight left in him.

Comment

Aside from the first Leonard fight I enjoy watching Duran in the third DeJesus fight, and against Lampkin and Palomino more than any others. All time great performances.

I see where Lampkin spent five days in the hospital and Duran said afterwards, "Next time I'll put him in the morgue". Not exactly classy but that's not really talked about much today and Duran seems to get a pass for things like that. It makes me wonder if this would have been different if the internet existed during that time.

I believe barkly lost to robbie Sims as well

Comment

• Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                    I believe barkly lost to robbie Sims as well
                    It was a very young Barkley,no think he had less than 10 fights at the time..

Comment

He may have had said that immediately after the fight duran was a mean guy but I read he visited
                      Ray afterwards

Comment

Working...
                      X