Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's ya thoughts on Whitaker as a trainer..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's ya thoughts on Whitaker as a trainer..

Thoughts??

I wonder how he would do with Alexander..

Comment

Whitaker had the right game plan for Judah. Zab just couldn't execute.

Same with Nazeem Richardson.

He had the right game plan for Mayweather and Pac. It's just that his fighter couldn't execute.

If Nazeem or Whitaker started training the likes of Berto and Alexander I reckon they'd be better contenders in the 140 and 147 divisions.

Comment

Who knows? He had good ring IQ, but being a great boxer doesnt make you an amazing trainer. Trainers gotta know who their fighter is and what style they fight with. You cant make them all fight the same or train them the same.

Look at Michael Jordan, GOAT Basketball player but HORRIBLE GM.

Shaq is arguable one of best centers of our era. Would he be a good NBA Coach? lol.....

We need to see more of Whitaker.

Comment

Haven't seen him with enough fighters to say so...

I don't think great fighters become great trainers. Mainly because a lot of great fighters were physically gifted than average; thus making them bypass learning the fundamental rules. So then when it's time to teach, they try to teach moves they were able to get away with, not realizing everyone wasn't born with those same gifts.

Comment

Whitaker is fine as a Trainer, but I think he needs to work with YOUNG GUYS, not guys who are already ruined mentally like Zab Judah

someone like Devon Alexander should add him to his corner and move Cunningham to assistant trainer

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
              Haven't seen him with enough fighters to say so...

I don't think great fighters become great trainers. Mainly because a lot of great fighters were physically gifted than average; thus making them bypass learning the fundamental rules. So then when it's time to teach, they try to teach moves they were able to get away with, not realizing everyone wasn't born with those same gifts.
              I agree totally with you, but zab judah has similar attributes to what pernell had, speed, athleticism, defence and being slick. So if any1 pernell had to pass on advice to zab is the guy.

Comment

I think he gave great advice,Zab's just an idiot

Comment

He sounded good but Zab can't pull the trigger anymore.

Comment

lets see how his body of work is as a trainer before we say he's good or not, because his work with zab isnt really a good jumping off point to make that judgement of whitaker as a trainer....

i think he is promising, he has a lot to offer fighters, whitaker was a fighter that had solid basics and fundamentals, but fought his style and mastered his form of defense, which was an extension of his basics foundation.......

whitaker never really took a beating in the ring, his worst performances were later in his career when drugs were an issue and he was getting old....... but he had basics to fall back on when his natural abilities started to fade.... unlike roy jones and some others we've seen over the last couple of decades.... ( yes i am old school ).....

either way, i'd like to see sweat pea bring up a fighter to really see what he can do as a trainer, or resurrect some fighters career, zab was a good attempt but obviously a futile attempt..... no fault of sweat pea......

Comment

Working...
                    X