Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Sergio Martinez guilty of picking on fighters smaller than him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Golden_Goy View Post
    Now before the martinez brigade kick off, i am a fan or sergio. but the arguement that he should be fighting pacquiao is just ludicrous. Why is he looking down at a 147lber when he could look 8lbs north and take on someone larger in a another weight division? He cant expect Mayweather or Pacman to come up and meet him at 160, or even 154lb in Pacmans case. Why doesnt he wait for the semi finals of the super six to end and go for the losers? its two faced to complain pacquiao and mayweather wont fight him when theres 13lbs difference, but if he was to go up 13lbs himself and fight Dawson or Pascal at LHW or the very least go to SMW, he'd most likely get his arse handed to him on a plate. Its not like theres not much money in these fights, a Martinez v Bute or Martinez v Kessler even would be bankable exciting fights.

Martinez should be looking upwards, not down.

Discuss
    manny and floyd both held the wbc belt at 154 which says sizes isnt the issue here..its skills

Comment

Sergio is only guilty for being incredibly sexy. No h*mo.

Comment

Did I read the title correctly?

Are we talking the same Martinez that took on massive Paul Williams, bigger Kelly Pavlik, taller Dzinziruk, etc?

The career welter/JMW?

Comment

hates gone hate..sergio has people shook and finding and excuse to trach him..he was ok till he called out manny now hes a bad guy??

Comment

Sergio Martinez is a cherry picker because he wants to fight Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacqiuao.

Comment

This is like saying is water wet? Of course.

He ducked his last 2 mandatories at 160 and he calls out Pac, Floyd and Cotto. He doesn't want to fight a legit 160.

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
                This is like saying is water wet? Of course.

He ducked his last 2 mandatories at 160 and he calls out Pac, Floyd and Cotto. He doesn't want to fight a legit 160.
                Pavlik wasnt a legit middleweight?

Comment

I was thinking the exact same thing when watching Martinez tower over Pavlik and Williams in the ring - why doesn't he fight somebody his own size, like Sam Peter?

But with regards to Mayweather and Pacquiao, Martinez is a 35, 36 year old guy who for the first time in his career has gained a profile large enough to allow him to potentially make some serious money. Obviously it'd be great for us fans to see Sergio fight guys like Ward or Bute, but it's obvious where the real money is - not to mention the p4p prestige - so that's why he's targetting Manny and Floyd.

It's not unlike Calzaghe last few years in the sport. He got his name out there by dismantling Lacey in good style, and cashed in with fights against big name opponents like Hopkins and Jones.

Comment

the argument I tried to put forward was of Martinez calling out Pacquiao and Mayweather, who are significantly smaller, when he could go to 168lb or even 175lb for bankable fights.

Is everyone on here so unbelievably pedantic and on a wankfest over Martinez that they can't see an objective point being made?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Golden_Goy View Post
                      the argument I tried to put forward was of Martinez calling out Pacquiao and Mayweather, who are significantly smaller, when he could go to 168lb or even 175lb for bankable fights.

Is everyone on here so unbelievably pedantic and on a wankfest over Martinez that they can't see an objective point being made?
                      he wants to fight the p4p bests and both have fought at 154..its inly 1 division seperating them and hes willing to go down1 and they go up 1...no big deal both went to 154 against lesser opponents so that tells me skill is the fear factor and not size

Comment

Working...
                      X