Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“Nobody knows Anthony Joshua in America” are you guys telling the truth?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    You're in Los Angeles, on holiday, and the driver in the "lift" I'm assuming, asked you if you knew a boxer named AJ.

Los Angeles, home to 4 million people and something like 13 million people in the greater LA are, is a pretty massive city and you're hanging your inference on a single interaction?
    Lol I don’t know where you got driver from it was a random guy. I just think it’s strange I constantly hear from you guys how nobody knows who he is and the first interaction I have with an American is him wanting to talk about aj. The same happened in New York actually but I let that slide as I was at a boxing event.

Comment

Of course they know who AJ is i am over there many times a year either in NY, LA, Houston, Denver and Chicago and whenever i get chatting to sports fans they all mention Joshua above anyone in the division, though Fury has certainly become more visable over there too. Wilder when very occasionally mentioned is usually in a sentence that includes the word Bum. Only hardcore Boxing fans really seem to know who Wilder is though and thats down to him and his promoter not wanting him fighting anyone decent for so many years.

Comment

Joshua is very well known after his Klitchko fight. WIlder has been on sport niches and you tube channels more but that's sports talk. Joshua being on a few talk shows actually geared to him made him more popular here ...he's in commercials too , don't ppl understand this that , that's far more impactful then making a guest appearance on race cars or basketball games bc it's a routine thing ?

Those saying Wilder is more known are lying. If someone knows Fury they know Joshua ....most didnt even know Klitchko lost his belts in 2015, we'll leave it at that.

The current fight should tell you who's more popular bc he's still overshadowing Wilder and he's fighting Miller .

Comment

Originally posted by Fabes88 View Post
          I’m in la on holiday. I was in the lift earlier and someone overheard my British accent and asked if I was from the U.K. and the first thing he said after that was he follows British boxers and in particular aj.

Are you guys being honest when you say nobody knows who he is or do you just mean the average American? Because it’s already been proven the average American isn’t sure who wilder is either. I know one person doesn’t mean he’s the most famous person in history but I find it strange that’s the first thing someone would say to me, he must be relatively well known

Well i'd say the average American has no idea who he is. Obviously any real boxing fan in any country is going to know who he is.

Canelo is arguably the biggest star in boxing but i bet outside of Mexico and probably USA, the average man on the street doesn't really know him.

Apart from a few big names over the recent years like Mayweather and Manny and a few big fights, boxing is pretty much a niche sport now when it comes to the general public, although it has become more mainstream in the UK recently. In terms of worldwide appeal, pretty much all boxers today are only really known by people who really follow the sport and a few armchair sports fans that take a bit of interest.
          Last edited by deathofaclown; 04-11-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
            I'd say close to completely unknown, unless you are a hardcore boxing fan. What has Joshua done in boxing, or US boxing? Why should anyone know him? He's not special in this area, maybe in the UK, or Europe. In boxing, he's nothing special.

Sorry, but, the guy is a skill less Mummy.
            Lolx..... Has anyone told you, you are a skillless writer?
            You are pathetic to be honest.

Comment

The Casual sports fans don't know him but to be fair they don't know most of the current boxers. Mayweather is still by far the most known boxer and he still move the Needle the most here in America

Comment

I’m in la on holiday. I was in the lift earlier and someone overheard my British accent and asked if I was from the U.K. and the first thing he said after that was he follows British boxers and in particular aj.

Are you guys being honest when you say nobody knows who he is or do you just mean the average American? Because it’s already been proven the average American isn’t sure who wilder is either. I know one person doesn’t mean he’s the most famous person in history but I find it strange that’s the first thing someone would say to me, he must be relatively well known
                His promoter is the one saying he needs to increase his profile in America. Is Hearn lying?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  His promoter is the one saying he needs to increase his profile in America. Is Hearn lying?
                  There’s a difference between being unknown and needing to raise your profile

Comment

There’s a difference between being unknown and needing to raise your profile
                    Of course "nobody knows AJ in America" isn't true. Just like Hearn saying nobody in America knows Wilder isn't true. You know he didn't mean not one single person. You're playing word games.

Comment

The funny thing is that, for the most part, anyone that knows who Wilder is, also knows who AJ is, and vice versa. Boxing is a niche sport, and even though AJ is more accomplished, they seem to have a pretty similar profile. AJ fills out stadiums, but that's in Europe, which is a different market and it doesn't automatically translate into success in the US.

Comment

Working...
                      X