Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens next for Rigo, Ward, and Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens next for Rigo, Ward, and Kovalev?

Rather than continue discussing the outcomes of Rigo/Flores and Ward/Kov, I'd rather hear what ya'll think about what's next for these three top fighters. Ward has the most obvious step: a fight against Stevenson. However, Adonis still needs to face Alvarez and IDK how easy Adonis/Ward will be to make. Does Ward have any mandatories on the horizon? Beterbiev is having a return fight and seems to be working himself into position for all the belts. Gvozdyk is also creeping up on a title shot.

I think Kovalev will take a little break, maybe make some changes to his team. As for fights, I'd match him against the winner of Smith/Barrera or Mikhalkin. Maybe a move up because his stamina may be taking a hit at LHW.

Rigo...IDK Seriously, his lack of in-ring time over the past two years is a benefit and a detriment: he isn't aging and deteriorating from training camps and punishment, but he's become irrelevant even-though he holds a title. Since his fights last so little time, potential opponents aren't able to dissect him and maybe develop confidence to step in the ring with him.
    Last edited by kiaba360; 06-18-2017, 12:11 AM.

bump........

Comment

Ward fights Stevenson. Kov goes to cruiser or fights and in house main events lhw.

Rigo I have no idea. He needs to find a if fight.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Ward fights Stevenson. Kov goes to cruiser or fights and in house main events lhw.

Rigo I have no idea. He needs to find a if fight.
        How many LHWs does Main Events actually have though? He already fought Chilemba. I guess things would line up for Kov/M.E. if Gonzalez beats Smith.

Gvodzyk vs. Smith was ordered by the WBC in March, don't know if that's still on the cards after Smith/Gonzalez. I could see Kov being frozen out for a little while because he now becomes a high-risk with little reward, and all these guys are gonna go after the two titlists.

I didn't watch the post-fight, is Ward still talking about going to HW? I know why he's doing it (big money at HW), but I wish he'd focus solely on LHW.

Rigo needs something drastic to occur. He either needs to pray that the Japs and Mexicans continue fighting him 122 because they're usually fearless, or he's gonna have to move up and maybe entice a straggler like Quigg.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 06-18-2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Ward gonna move to cruiserweight

Comment

Originally posted by Hatesrats View Post
            Ward gonna move to cruiserweight
            Did he hint at that in post-fight? Usyk, Bellew ($$), Gassiev, Lebedev, Briedis...
            Although I find Ward's style to be boring, I would definitely watch his move up to see how he solves the CW rubix cube. It seems really difficult to dominate that division.
            Last edited by kiaba360; 06-18-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I'd like to see Kovalev vs Beterbiev now, maybe for the IBF after Ward vacates

I doubt Ward will go to cruiser since there are no PPVs for him up there. It would be nice if Stevenson would finally unify

Rey Vargas is a legit challenge for Rigondeaux at super bantam

Comment

Rigomis gonna have to rematch that bum from last again when they give him the DQ loss.
                Ward idk... I don't see the Stevenson fight getting made and why would he waste his time fighting these nobodies coming up the ranks. Maybe he goes after the weakest cruiser then heavy champ and retires. Maybe we get a GGG if he gets past Canelo who knows. That would be the money fight.

Kovalev will be firing then hiring a new trainer. I think he may be the one to fight Stevenson now. Or more than likely the winner of Smith vs Barerra..especially if it's Sullivan cause he's with ME.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
                  I'd like to see Kovalev vs Beterbiev now, maybe for the IBF after Ward vacates

I doubt Ward will go to cruiser since there are no PPVs for him up there. It would be nice if Stevenson would finally unify

Rey Vargas is a legit challenge for Rigondeaux at super bantam
                  Ward would have to travel for Bellew, which is something he's yet to do. IDK how big that match-up would be, but Bellew has earned clout over time. Maybe it's a fight that can be easily sold to UK fans. Ward is simply not a PPV fighter, a lot of these guys aren't. Great on him for continuing to get those big purses though.

I thought Flores would provide a little challenge, but he decided to flop lol. Vargas just won the WBC title, no damn way his first defense is Rigo. Maybe it happens at year's end. There are several younger opponents 122, and maybe that youthful hunger will make one of them take Rigo on. I wish Rigo could have a 12-round battle where he's forced to go Super Saiyan. I only think Loma will bring that out.
                  Last edited by kiaba360; 06-18-2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

ward-adonis stevenson or a shot at a heavyweight champion and then call it a day.
                    Kovalev needs a break and then make a comeback.he is still a force at light heavy.
                    Rigo-the best move would be a fight with Lomachenko

Comment

Working...
                    X