Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does an aggressive style exaggerate a fighter's power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does an aggressive style exaggerate a fighter's power?

A lot of fighters who are come-forward brawler types, (let's take Mike Tyson in his prime for example - a guy who fights toe-to-toe, actively goes out there from the first bell in search and destroy mode), are best known for their crushing power. However, as soon as these fighters are not allowed to be as aggressive, they suddenly seem to lose their killer weapons. Even if they may be landing the same bombs, the power does not seem the same. If an opponent can successfully control range and limit the way in which a fighter can come at him with determination and aggression can basically show the over-exaggeration of someone's power. Or, is the power not over-exaggerated at all, but simply blunted by effective tactics of an opponent?

With heavyweights, I don't know - let's take Tyson and maybe Wlad - who hits harder? Tyson was known as a monster puncher because of his ultra-aggressive style. If he got on top of you, it was the end. His power seemed murderous, better than anyone who came before. But say someone like Wlad or Lennox or any other power puncher could fight the same way, as in rushing forward and just laying people out, would it be exactly the same? If so, it is really tough to decide who really is the most powerful.

Take other fighters in lower classes too, such as Mattyhsse, Maidana, Provodnikov, hell - even GGG. The 3 former have been controlled, let's say, and their power has failed the test. What I mean by that is that when they are not allowed to be aggressive, they don't seem as powerful. Is their power overrated, or is it just simply tactics from an opponent that can blunt and mask power? In GGG's case, it is simply that no one has been good enough to stop him, but when he cannot be aggressive, will the KO streak end? Same with Wilder, he could be aggressive with bums, but v a more live body he struggled to prove his power.

So, people, thoughts? Does aggression sometimes exaggerate a fighter's power, or is the power just as good as it was when people knock out bums or those who allow themselves to be attacked aggressively, but it is just effective tactics that can stop that power being transferred?

Discuss....

Like any aggressive fighter with power if you control the pace with a hard crisp jab and 3 punch combos you chip away at the fighters confidence and he will deviate from a gameplan or just mentally give up

This great thread will go over nsb head though

Comment

Without thinking about it I think that's a part of a whole when we talk about a fighter having "power". Just the willingness to get in strong stance, take the risk, and throw lots of big shots coming forward with everything behind it.

I think thats also behind the "great punchers have bad chins" folklore. It's just that if your really throwing yourself behind the punch, your also exposing yourself a more devastating shot if the guy catches you coming in, rather than if your on your toes moving light.

Comment

IMO it is really on the opponent. They will either be overwhelmed and sooner or later a shot will get in, end of story.
        Now on the other hand, if the opponent is able to "tame the beast" by maintaining distance, effective countering, good legwork, etc, and most of all mental toughness. Agood boxer should be able to ward off most brawler types.

Comment

Originally posted by IboxSouthpaw View Post
          Like any aggressive fighter with power if you control the pace with a hard crisp jab and 3 punch combos you chip away at the fighters confidence and he will deviate from a gameplan or just mentally give up

This great thread will go over nsb head though
          Hah, tell me about it mate, it's going to be drowned out by the generic or repetitive b/s we usually get on NSB. Thanks for your input though, good post.

Originally posted by Blueduck View Post
          Without thinking about it I think that's a part of a whole when we talk about a fighter having "power". Just the willingness to get in strong stance, take the risk, and throw lots of big shots coming forward with everything behind it.

I think thats also behind the "great punchers have bad chins" folklore. It's just that if your really throwing yourself behind the punch, your also exposing yourself a more devastating shot if the guy catches you coming in, rather than if your on your toes moving light.
          Good points.

Originally posted by clmags12 View Post
          IMO it is really on the opponent. They will either be overwhelmed and sooner or later a shot will get in, end of story.
          Now on the other hand, if the opponent is able to "tame the beast" by maintaining distance, effective countering, good legwork, etc, and most of all mental toughness. Agood boxer should be able to ward off most brawler types.
          Yeah, I do agree that power can be negated by the right fighter with the right tactics. But still, hard to say then if the power is overrated if suddenly it has less of an effect.

Comment

power is power. if someone have 1 shot ko power, he can one shot ko someone regardless of style. the aggressive style just puts dude in position to get it in more often. but yes i do agree, when people talk about a fighter's power, they sometimes bunch everything up as a whole. oh hes so powerful = aggressive, brawler, knockouts, entertaining, fan friendly, etc. or no power = runner, defensive, boring, technical, skillful, sweet science, etc

Comment

I believe there is a correlation between having power and being agressive. You don't see Miguel Vazquez, Paulie, Ivan Calderon (in his days) and many feather fisted fighters being pressure fighters. Only the guys that are confident on their devastating/KO power are the ones that pressure the action because they know they can finish the fight with a KO. I can't really think of a confimed "feather fisted fighter" who displays an aggresive, "go get them style" (I could be wrong). Boxers with no power tend to be more counter punchers or "I will score when I can and go" type of fighters(can't blame them for utilizing their skills!) So in summary, I think the agressive guys, in general, have legit power whether exagerated or not.

Comment

The answer is yes.
                not everyone hits hard.
                not everyone fights in the right style.

The way humans work ,word of mouth ,visual effects

Comment

Originally posted by Basco View Post
                  I believe there is a correlation between having power and being agressive. You don't see Miguel Vazquez, Paulie, Ivan Calderon (in his days) and many feather fisted fighters being pressure fighters. Only the guys that are confident on their devastating/KO power are the ones that pressure the action because they know they can finish the fight with a KO. I can't really think of a confimed "feather fisted fighter" who displays an aggresive, "go get them style" (I could be wrong). Boxers with no power tend to be more counter punchers or "I will score when I can and go" type of fighters(can't blame them for utilizing their skills!) So in summary, I think the agressive guys, in general, have legit power whether exagerated or not.
                  Good post. I generally agree. However, do you think that if feather fisted fighters were very aggressive, they would have more success? Perhaps not, as Bradley tried it v Ruslan and it didn't end well...

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
                    Good post. I generally agree. However, do you think that if feather fisted fighters were very aggressive, they would have more success? Perhaps not, as Bradley tried it v Ruslan and it didn't end well...
                    I agree with you. When there is no power, you have to use other assets (boxing or running as known by NSB "Know it alls"). I don't think you can be agressive while not having any punching power, at least not effectively. Psychology plays a big part in this sport and very few boxers can brag about A+ defense which in my opinion, are the ones who could get away with being agressive while not punching. If you are not getting your opponent's attention with your power, you will never be able to discourage them....unless......you are pitching a shoot out. Again, very few if any can get away with this.

Comment

Working...
                    X