Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tired of what passes for comedy films these days?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of what passes for comedy films these days?

Are you sick of all the movies (Pineapple Express/Superbad/Funny People/Get Him to the Greek/Drillbit Taylor/Forgetting Sarah Marshall etc) and "comedians" (Johan Hill/Seth Rogen/Jason Siegel/Paul Rudd) from the Judd Apatow stable?

Do you sit there in complete and utter silence when you watch a Todd Phillips film - Hangover 1, Old School, Due Date, so numbed from the banality of it all, like me?

Then I present to you a brilliant, under-rated comedy, where the humour is derived from the awesome, rounded characters and situations, and not from lame set-pieces and isolated, lazy improvised one liners.

Just so hilarious. DeNiro and Grodin are on fire.

Please watch it, and if you don't like it, red K and abuse me. If you do, green K and bow to my greatness.

If you have already seen it, confirm its brilliance.

Judd Apatow movies for the most part are very good comedies. I'm not a huge fan of the Todd Philips stuff but I'll watch it.

Haven't seen Midnight Run in a while I'll have to check it out again.

Comment

Originally posted by NutsInTheyFace View Post
      Are you sick of all the movies (Pineapple Express/Superbad/Funny People/Get Him to the Greek/Drillbit Taylor/Forgetting Sarah Marshall etc) and "comedians" (Johan Hill/Seth Rogen/Jason Siegel/Paul Rudd) from the Judd Apatow stable?

Do you sit there in complete and utter silence when you watch a Todd Phillips film - Hangover 1, Old School, Due Date, so numbed from the banality of it all, like me?

Then I present to you a brilliant, under-rated comedy, where the humour is derived from the awesome, rounded characters and situations, and not from lame set-pieces and isolated, lazy improvised one liners.

Just so hilarious. DeNiro and Grodin are on fire.

Please watch it, and if you don't like it, red K and abuse me. If you do, green K and bow to my greatness.

If you have already seen it, confirm its brilliance.
      I'll check that one out.

I do like Forgetting Sara Marshall, Old School, Get him to the greek, and Superbad though. I find them all hilarious, especially Old School.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
        Judd Apatow movies for the most part are very good comedies. I'm not a huge fan of the Todd Philips stuff but I'll watch it.

Haven't seen Midnight Run in a while I'll have to check it out again.
        I re-watched Midnight Run last night, terrified that having not seen it for about 4 years, it would not be as awesome as I remembered it as I'm smarter, more cynical and with more refined taste than when I first watched it. And....I actually loved it even more this time, it's just comedic perfection. It's pretty lightweight but it's such a good laugh.

Re Apatow - I liked Knocked Up but it has been ever diminishing returns since then. I just hate the ****ing fact that all his little buddies like Rogen and Siegel and Hill are getting their own films. I mean, Green Hornet was a ****ing joke. Even more so when you realise that that unfunny ****wit Rogen has admitted to overruling Michele Gondry on certain aspects of that film.

I mean, the guy who wrote Pineapple Express dictating to the director of Eternal Sunshine.

You couldn't make it up.
        Last edited by Porter's Dad; 05-30-2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danny711 View Post
          I'll check that one out.

I do like Forgetting Sara Marshall, Old School, Get him to the greek, and Superbad though. I find them all hilarious, especially Old School.
          Old School was one of the most miserable viewing experiences of my life. But hey, I'm gonna stop ****ting on those films, cos the real point is to direct you to Midnight Run.

Please watch! And lemme know what you think.

If anyone wants a torrent link, hit me up with a PM.

Comment

I re-watched Midnight Run last night, terrified that having not seen it for about 4 years, it would not be as awesome as I remembered 0 as I'm smarter, more cynical and with more refined taste than when I first watched it. And....I actually loved it even more this time, it's just comedic perfection. It's pretty lightweight but it's such a good laugh.

Re Apatow - I liked Knocked Up but it has been ever diminishing returns since then. I just hate the ****ing fact that all his little buddies like Rogen and Siegel and Hill are getting their own films. I mean, Green Hornet was a ****ing joke. Even more so when you realise that that unfunny ****wit Rogen has admitted to overruling Michele Gondry on certain aspects of that film.

I mean, the guy who wrote Pineapple Express dictating to the director of Eternal Sunshine.

You couldn't make it up.
            Last time I saw Midnight Run was probably when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, but we have it lying around somewhere and I have always wanted to watch it again so I may now.

But yeah I know what you mean with Apatow and friends. Now I think all of those guys work really well together, like I thought Superbad was absolutely hysterical mainly because it was a simple movie about high school kids cursing and trying to get laid with the characters being believable and with good chemistry; it didnt try and be way to big and rely on pop culture jokes (which I absolutely loathe).

Then there are the other comedies by those guys I hate like Pineapple Express. It was funny at times but there were so many parts where it would just be guys just yelling and screaming while they are fighting or in a car chase. As for Green Hornet I completely dismissed that when it came out it just looked like a money grab. Rogen has always seemed like a dick, even in his stand up comedy on youtube when he was like 16.

Comment

I love Midnight Run. Need to watch it again soon as the last 'comedy' film I watched was The Hangover Part II. The lump in my scrotum is funnier than that shit.

Comment

I loved 40 year old virgin and Superbad the most.

The other are ok to bleh....

Will watch Midnight Run soon and post my opinion!

Comment

how can someone hate on oldschool, and superbad.

Comment

Among the movies you mentioned I remembered liking Pineapple Express a LOT.
                    The others were below mediocre except for Superbad which is above mediocre.

Comment

Working...
                    X