No announcement yet.

Manny and Floyd: The Double Standard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny and Floyd: The Double Standard

The fight that the world wants to see is Mayweather vs Pacquiao. The question is will it ever happen? Some believe that there is entirely too much money at stake to forgo this mega fight. It's been documented that the Mayweather camp believes that Pacquiao is using performance enhancing drugs and his refusal to take the Olympic style testing backs their claims. Floyd Mayweather himself has said in recent youtube clips that Pacquaio is on "power pellets", in other words steroids. The reason they believe this is because of the newly found energy,stamina and punch resistance Manny has exhibited against De La Hoya,Hatton, Cotto, Clottey and Margarito. A lot fans and boxing insiders believe that Manny is just a natural athlete who has dedicated his life to his craft. Did you notice anything unnatural about his last five fights? I certainly didn't, but it's not about what you or I think. Until Manny decides to take the test Floyd will never share the ring with him.

What if the scenario was reversed and it was Floyd who didn't want to take the test? No need to ponder an answer. He would be getting treated the same way he is now for asking Manny to take the test. See, that's where the double standard comes in to play. Somewhere in the mist of the Pacman destroying his last five opponents Floyd has lost the respect of many fans. But somehow Manny is excused for fighting the Mayweather left overs. The same guys some of you cursed Floyd for facing. Somehow it's ok for Manny to fight Oscar,Hatton, Marquez and Mosley. Besides the De La Hoya victory, Floyd was given no credit but excuses like "he's over the hill" or my personal favorite "he was too small". Then why aren't these same fighters too small for Pacquiao? Is the double standard do to race?

Why doesn't the media ever talk about the statements that Murad Muhammed said about Manny being "built" up. If anyone outside the Pacquiao camp knows whats going on it's ex-promoter Murad. Murad stated he made sure Manny fought no top level African American fighters when he came to America. It has been proven in many sports like the NFL and the NBA that to be considered the best you have to compete against African American athletes. Manny will finally fight an African American, enter Pomona, California native Shane Mosley. I guess a 38 year old shopworn and most importantly free agent Mosley is the perfect foe. Shane has been chasing this fight since last year when he said he would drop down to 142 pounds to fight Pacquiao. Either way it goes once Manny beats Shane he will be awarded status as the people champ when Floyd already beat the will out Mosley last May of 2010. I have came to the conclusion that no matter who Mayweather beats it won't be enough to satisfy the most media and fans. Im not claiming Floyd to be the best ever but he is certainly an all time great fighter. Ray Leonard dodged a fight with Marvin Hagler for five years. Yet he is considered an all time legend which he certainly is. Mike Tyson dodged a fight with George Foreman in 1990 and did the same with Lennox Lewis in 1996 for a reported 40 million dollars, yet only Floyd gets blasted for "ducking". I don't hear anyone calling Tyson a ducker. What about Oscar "ducking" the rematch with Trinidad? Is he a ducker? Floyd wants Manny to take the test, is that too much to ask or is it a double standard?

Originally posted by MrBOXINGTODAY View Post
    The fight that the world wants to see is Mayweather vs Pacquiao. The question is will it ever happen? Some believe that there is entirely too much money at stake to forgo this mega fight. It's been documented that the Mayweather camp believes that Pacquiao is using performance enhancing drugs and his refusal to take the Olympic style testing backs their claims. Floyd Mayweather himself has said in recent youtube clips that Pacquaio is on "power pellets", in other words steroids. The reason they believe this is because of the newly found energy,stamina and punch resistance Manny has exhibited against De La Hoya,Hatton, Cotto, Clottey and Margarito. A lot fans and boxing insiders believe that Manny is just a natural athlete who has dedicated his life to his craft. Did you notice anything unnatural about his last five fights? I certainly didn't, but it's not about what you or I think. Until Manny decides to take the test Floyd will never share the ring with him.

What if the scenario was reversed and it was Floyd who didn't want to take the test? No need to ponder an answer. He would be getting treated the same way he is now for asking Manny to take the test. See, that's where the double standard comes in to play. Somewhere in the mist of the Pacman destroying his last five opponents Floyd has lost the respect of many fans. But somehow Manny is excused for fighting the Mayweather left overs. The same guys some of you cursed Floyd for facing. Somehow it's ok for Manny to fight Oscar,Hatton, Marquez and Mosley. Besides the De La Hoya victory, Floyd was given no credit but excuses like "he's over the hill" or my personal favorite "he was too small". Then why aren't these same fighters too small for Pacquiao? Is the double standard do to race?

Why doesn't the media ever talk about the statements that Murad Muhammed said about Manny being "built" up. If anyone outside the Pacquiao camp knows whats going on it's ex-promoter Murad. Murad stated he made sure Manny fought no top level African American fighters when he came to America. It has been proven in many sports like the NFL and the NBA that to be considered the best you have to compete against African American athletes. Manny will finally fight an African American, enter Pomona, California native Shane Mosley. I guess a 38 year old shopworn and most importantly free agent Mosley is the perfect foe. Shane has been chasing this fight since last year when he said he would drop down to 142 pounds to fight Pacquiao. Either way it goes once Manny beats Shane he will be awarded status as the people champ when Floyd already beat the will out Mosley last May of 2010. I have came to the conclusion that no matter who Mayweather beats it won't be enough to satisfy the most media and fans. Im not claiming Floyd to be the best ever but he is certainly an all time great fighter. Ray Leonard dodged a fight with Marvin Hagler for five years. Yet he is considered an all time legend which he certainly is. Mike Tyson dodged a fight with George Foreman in 1990 and did the same with Lennox Lewis in 1996 for a reported 40 million dollars, yet only Floyd gets blasted for "ducking". I don't hear anyone calling Tyson a ducker. What about Oscar "ducking" the rematch with Trinidad? Is he a ducker? Floyd wants Manny to take the test, is that too much to ask or is it a double standard?
    your gonna be red in

Comment

You're right. There is a huge double standard.

Floyd wins a title at 154, never defends nor does he have the intentions of doing so against anyone at Jr. MW, and his fans don't question his motives.

Manny wins a title at 154, and Floyd fans insist Manny is ducking the MW champion of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by shogun tua View Post
        your gonna be red in

hes right you know...

Comment

Originally posted by ChainskiBum View Post
          hes right you know...
          He'd only be right if Manny refused to take the state governed tests as required by the state commissions.

As it is,

nobody can say when Manny has refused these tests. All you guys can fall back on is,

"OMG, Manny didn't bow down and suck Floyds a sshole and do excactly what he said, so he must be doing something wrong!!!

A princess never tells a king what to do.

Comment

I thought the most ridiculous accusation you mentioned was the whole, "why aren't Manny's opponents considered too small if they were when Floyd fought them".

Ummm, maybe it's because Manny literally started about 40 lbs lighter than he's fighting at now. The guy has to build muscle to maintain a higher weight. While most fighters have to lose weight to make it to fight weight, Manny has to GAIN weight for the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Chingas View Post
              He'd only be right if Manny refused to take the state governed tests as required by the state commissions.

As it is,

nobody can say when Manny has refused these tests. All you guys can fall back on is,

"OMG, Manny didn't bow down and suck Floyds a sshole and do excactly what he said, so he must be doing something wrong!!!

A princess never tells a king what to do.
              GTFOH with that BS...
              anyway... what about Freddies 'normal' testing for Shane Mosely.

anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
                I thought the most ridiculous accusation you mentioned was the whole, "why aren't Manny's opponents considered too small if they were when Floyd fought them".

Ummm, maybe it's because Manny literally started about 40 lbs lighter than he's fighting at now. The guy has to build muscle to maintain a higher weight. While most fighters have to lose weight to make it to fight weight, Manny has to GAIN weight for the fight.
                agree with you on this one, think IMO only applies to JMM @147

Comment

Originally posted by MrBOXINGTODAY View Post
                  What if the scenario was reversed and it was Floyd who didn't want to take the test? No need to ponder an answer. He would be getting treated the same way he is now for asking Manny to take the test. See, that's where the double standard comes in to play.
                  Naa. If the situation was reversed, ie, Pac asking for extra test,
                  it won't be preceded by angry accusations of cheating without
                  proof. Besides, the factors that make it very contentious won't
                  be there like jealousy and hatred. Most Pac fans are satisfied
                  with what Pac achieved in his career. If you see them ****ting
                  on Floyd, it's because they're usually just retaliating. You ****
                  on my idol, I'll **** on yours. Simple as that.

I for one have nothing to be jealous about Floyd's boring fights.
                  If Pac requests extra tests, Floyd has all the right to refuse them.
                  Pac needs to provide evidence of cheating before I can judge
                  anybody in a very malicious and angry tone. It's possible that if
                  the negotiation drags on without any hint of developing, I'll surely
                  end up blaming Pac not Floyd.
                  Last edited by al-Xander; 01-30-2011, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Every group of fans sets double standards. You talk about their favorite fighter, and all of a sudden any round or fight they've lsot has a reason or an excuse behind it. Whereas, that same person would say "it doesn't matter, still happened" when discussing a fighter they have no interest in or even have a hatred for.

Manny's fans and Floyd's fans are no different.

NOTE: For the record, I'm not talking about moderate or casual fans of any kind, I'm talking about extremist.

Comment

Working...
                    X