"Jeff Lacy was a bum"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Jeff Lacy was a bum"

Or was he?

Lacy was a good young fighter, powerful, athletic, and unbeaten when he faced Calzaghe.

He hadn't faced great opposition, but he had handled several decent fighters with astonishing ease, so impressed was Boxingscene.com that it had 95% of it's staff predict Lacy to knock Calzaghe out, the general line was "Calzaghe is a good fighter, but Lacy is on another level, he's the real deal"

Respected boxingscene posters like "runwithknives" said Lacy was future P4P material, the total package, and would sleepwalk to victory over Calzaghe, many agreed.

Lacy most likely underestimated Calzaghe, and quickly found himself in a lot deeper than he expected, suffering a schooling. However you have to give him credit for hanging tough, but on that night he had no answers.

Lacy had to go back to the start, and in his next fight with Vitali Tsypko, he suffered a disasterous torn rotator cuff, (the same injury that caused Vitali Klitschko to quit against Chris Byrd, to prevent lasting damage)

Lacy bravely (and quite possibly stupidly) fought through the pain for another 8 rounds, he never looked the same again.

What do you make of Lacy?

he was an ok fighter, that fight with joe was the beginning of his career

Comment

Who did Lacy ever beat that was any good? People just bought into his hype like they did with Lucian Bute.

Comment

sadly his career went straight to the toilet after joe slapped him afew times.........

Comment

Lacy was pretty tough. He had a Tyson kind of affect on boxing for a minute. The utter disrespect for Zags in the media that still goes on today had Jeff thinking he was going to fight a kitten. Zags was a lion then and in hindsight. It broke Lacy early. I think if they had waited a while and moved him more gradually he'd have been better off. I hear people say losses don't mean much but its not always the case. When a guy realizes that there's absolutely nothing he could have done to change the result (outside morphing to a whole different skill set) a lot of times they never come back mentally ala Ricky Hatton and Hamed.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Who did Lacy ever beat that was any good? People just bought into his hype like they did with Lucian Bute.

This^^^^^

Man were people in overdrive hyping him when he knocked out Scott freaking Pemberton, let me repeat that name "SCOTT PEMBERTON!!". I remember it like yesterday cause I just moved to Florida and it was the first fight I watched down there and everyone I knew was hyping Lacy. People were laughing at me cause of course if you're black apparently you have to root for the black buy, but I was pulling for Joe to whoop this dude and boy did he deliver. That's still the best Calzaghe moment I remember, Joe made me so proud that night.

Comment

I only seen like 3 of his fights but he got beat by a shot to **** Roy Jones so he can't have been that good.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                This^^^^^

Man were people in overdrive hyping him when he knocked out Scott freaking Pemberton, let me repeat that name "SCOTT PEMBERTON!!". I remember it like yesterday cause I just moved to Florida and it was the first fight I watched down there and everyone I knew was hyping Lacy. People were laughing at me cause of course if you're black apparently you have to root for the black buy, but I was pulling for Joe to whoop this dude and boy did he deliver. That's still the best Calzaghe moment I remember, Joe made me so proud that night.
                Scotty Pemberton was a good, very tough fighter in his day, a bit chinny, but was well past his peak by the time he fought Lacy. It was a very poor event to judge by. He must have been nearly 40 by then. His two fights with Omar Sheika finished him, tough, tough fights. I saw them both.

Pemberton was always going to KO or be KO'd . He was just that sort of fighter, got into the trenches right away.

He was a bit slow and awkward but brave.

Comment

He was ok. A good win for Zags.

Comment

Jeff Lacy is underrated. Only Calzaghe haters call him a bum

Comment

Working...
                    X