Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Golden Boy trying to make Amir Khan THAT guy.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Golden Boy trying to make Amir Khan THAT guy.

I feel like Golden Boy is trying to make their top fighters into another Oscar de la Hoya. I have no problem with that. But my problem is when I see Amir Khan fight, I see nothing special. He has great speed, but other than that, nothing about Amir Khan impresses me. I mean I feel like in Golden Boy, all you need is a good face and a country and you will be pushed to the top. That's the same formula they're using for Canelo. So in another words, they want to create another Oscar de la Hoya. But in Oscar's case, he was actually a good fighter. I think Golden Boy should focus on the skills first. Personality second. And looks last.

Fanbase, talent, exciting fights, there was a lot of potential for Khan to be a major cash cow.

Comment

you could be a one armed ****** that cant speak but if you have that kind of fanbase and potential drawing power, they're gonna try to make you 'that guy'

the 'P' in GBP stands for...............

Comment

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
        I feel like Golden Boy is trying to make their top fighters into another Oscar de la Hoya. I have no problem with that. But my problem is when I see Amir Khan fight, I see nothing special. He has great speed, but other than that, nothing about Amir Khan impresses me. I mean I feel like in Golden Boy, all you need is a good face and a country and you will be pushed to the top. That's the same formula they're using for Canelo. So in another words, they want to create another Oscar de la Hoya. But in Oscar's case, he was actually a good fighter. I think Golden Boy should focus on the skills first. Personality second. And looks last.
        They're trying to "sell" these guys. Skills play a part, but they're cramming these guys down our throats before they even have a chance to prove their worth. I think with khan they're trying to make him into the next Hatton in the sense that they're trying to make him the next guy people cross the pond to come see

Same with Canelo, they want him to be the premier Mexican fighter. Both countries are huge for boxing. They're trying to tell English and Mexican fight fans that these two are the two to watch.

The idea that a country should get behind a fighter just because of nationality is ridiculous, but that's what brings out the casuals

Comment

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
          Yeh, if they can make Kahn a cash cow and bring a new market to boxing (british pakistani/muslims) there's a lot to be gained.

But you're right, fighters need the talent first... i actually think Kahn could have the skills if taught how to box properly

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
            The idea that a country should get behind a fighter just because of nationality is ridiculous, but that's what brings out the casuals
            Technically then so is the idea a state or city should get behind its fighter e.g. Ward in Oakland. It's part of boxing.

Comment

Khan been stepping up his game trying to be a superstar can't really fault the guy for not coming through he is not exactly fighting Casamayor before stepping up to mega fight.
              Peterson and Garcia are the definition of low reward high risk fights I got respect for Khan taking those fights

Comment

HIS LOOK!

Oscar is trying to market fighters based on their looks because that is what Arum did with him and in return he was able to build a huge Female Fanbase which made him the biggest draw in boxing history

but the problem is, a lot of the "PRETTY BOYS" he is trying to make into Superstars...CAN'T FIGHT! lol So Oscar is betting on the WRONG HORSES and they are letting him down BIG TIME...Canelo is NEXT!

Comment

LOL, Canelo is their main guy... Khan is supposed to have all of Britain backing him.
                  I'm happy Khan lost because Froch should get the recognition he deserves. He's Britains best fighter right now IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                    Khan been stepping up his game trying to be a superstar can't really fault the guy for not coming through he is not exactly fighting Casamayor before stepping up to mega fight.
                    Peterson and Garcia are the definition of low reward high risk fights I got respect for Khan taking those fights
                    I respect Amir Khan for his willingness to fight anybody. And I respect Golden Boy for putting him in there with those guys. But it takes more than looks and fan base to be the top guy. So like I said before, look at the skills first.

Comment

Working...
                    X