Collapse
No announcement yet.

johnson vs. holyfield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leon is better, he was faster and he was technically sound, i could imagine him outclassing willard. jess willard was nothing but a club goof that was chosen to beat up a vastly overrated heavyweight champ. Jack Johnson looked great clinching middleweights and smiling on camera, but when he fought real heavyweights like willard, he got ktfo. Leon spinks would win when jess decides to hide behind the ref and cry. Spinks jinx all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by brownpimp88 View Post
      Leon is better, he was faster and he was technically sound, i could imagine him outclassing willard. jess willard was nothing but a club goof that was chosen to beat up a vastly overrated heavyweight champ. Jack Johnson looked great clinching middleweights and smiling on camera, but when he fought real heavyweights like willard, he got ktfo. Leon spinks would win when jess decides to hide behind the ref and cry. Spinks jinx all the way.
      Leon is a swarmer so I could imagine Willard tearing into Spinks and knocking him out. Again, Johnson was 37, undertrained, inactive, and had to fight a 45 round fight. Give me one fighter who could do well under those conditions. I'll answer that one for you, nobody!

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
        Leon is a swarmer so I could imagine Willard tearing into Spinks and knocking him out. Again, Johnson was 37, undertrained, inactive, and had to fight a 45 round fight. Give me one fighter who could do well under those conditions. I'll answer that one for you, nobody!
        Whenever a fighter loses, you make excuses. He lost to willard, enough said, deal with it. It would have been different if he did this, if he did that, blah, blah, blah. Jack Johnson got ktfo by a cabdriver with 2 weeks of boxing lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by brownpimp88 View Post
          Whenever a fighter loses, you make excuses. He lost to willard, enough said, deal with it. It would have been different if he did this, if he did that, blah, blah, blah. Jack Johnson got ktfo by a cabdriver with 2 weeks of boxing lessons.
          If you're boy Larry Holmes had fought him at 37 and inactive in a 45 round fight, he probably would lose too, maybe even by knockout.

Comment

Jack johnson never fought anyone as big as bowe and lewis, he was a giant in his time, outweighing his opponents by 20-30 pounds, i'd say holyfield beats him by decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
              Jack johnson never fought anyone as big as bowe and lewis, he was a giant in his time, outweighing his opponents by 20-30 pounds, i'd say holyfield beats him by decision.
              How is Holy gonna outpoint Johnson? Johnson is faster, more skilled, physically stronger, and is a real heavyweight. Holyfield would get outpointed easily.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
                How is Holy gonna outpoint Johnson? Johnson is faster, more skilled, physically stronger, and is a real heavyweight. Holyfield would get outpointed easily.
                Jack Johnson is trained to throw one punch at a time, as mike tyson would put it, he may not be competitive in today's standards were boxers are trained to throw combinations and variety of punches.
                moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Holy and without much of a problem. People should seriously check themselves if they think Johnson's style is any good against Holy's.
                  moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Johnson threw combinations, just not as many as modern fighters. You take Holyfield and have him throw combinations as he's used to and there's no way he makes it 20 or more rounds. You need to pace yourself for that length of a fight, especially if you're a heavyweight.

Johnson also had an economical style where he did as little as he had to and made the opponent work. It wasn't that he couldn't throw a ****load of punches, he just chose not too.

Check out his fight with Frank Moran, a 6'1" 200 lb very physically strong and hard hitting heavyweight. This guy wings some hard shots at him but Johnson is poised and alert and ready for it all. He doesn't throw much because he's like a matador: stationary and seemingly there to be hit, but in actuallity, ready at all times to take advance of any mistakes the opponent makes.

Check out his strength in the clinches. More and more often gets the better of it in there as the fight goes on. It's apparent he has only a small strength advantage early on but by the end of the fight he's pushing Moran around like nothing. Impressive muscular endurance.

I don't mind the people who have Holyfield winning, but to say he blows Johnson away is ridiculous. Johnson was born for this sport, he had the perfect combination of learned ringsmarts and natural instincts.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
                      Jack Johnson is trained to throw one punch at a time, as mike tyson would put it, he may not be competitive in today's standards were boxers are trained to throw combinations and variety of punches.
                      What an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                      X