No announcement yet.

In need of assistance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of assistance

Planning to spar next week with a good friend of mine at our gym. We both started boxing about 1 year ago and we went on and off at our own pace. However he has quite the advantage over me as he is a black belt in traditional karate, or shotokan, whatever you wanna call it.

Having a history in martial arts makes him quite fast to say the least as he has a greater speed than mine and better reflexes. He is also a bit heavier, I'm somewhere near 135 pounds and he's close to 150, maybe more. We're both tall, but I'm the taller guy with a better reach. I'm southpaw and he's orthodox but he switched stances to southpaw whenever he's sparring me and does it quite well.

As for my advantages over him, well I have a decent jab and I counter him pretty well. Sparred with him like 5 times before but everytime his speed overwhelms me by the end of it. He's a lot more offensive than me and lasts better on the inside so I try to stay on the outside as much as possible. I keep my right arm a bit lower than the standard guard when defending and shoulderroll and my left glued to my head and body. That allows me to counter well to the body with the right from time to time when he gets close enough.

Any tips on how to handle this dude better are much appreciated

Is it really the karate that has made him that fast? It is not even full contact and kind of gay?

If you are better on the outside then stay on the outside, stick him with the jab and move away. Use you reach. Clinch when he gets close and push him away, dont let him overwhelm you on the inside with his speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
      Is it really the karate that has made him that fast? It is not even full contact and kind of gay?

If you are better on the outside then stay on the outside, stick him with the jab and move away. Use you reach. Clinch when he gets close and push him away, dont let him overwhelm you on the inside with his speed.
      Well it seems years and years of karate did, at a competitional level it gets pretty violent with one hit (kick) wins if executed well. Fights are ussualy much shorter than any boxing match out there (amateurs included) but a lot more intense. So what my buddy lost in endurance and pacing (very important in boxing) he won in explosive power and quick reflex.

Thanks for the advice, if I can keep a clear mind this time I hope I'll be able to stay on the outside enough.

Comment

to slow someone down who is faster u gotta punch at the same time he does...makes it seem ur as fast and will slow him down a tad as he'll b more timid...keep ur hands round cheek level and use one oclock eleven oclock blocking

Comment

If you say you can counter him, then set him up to do whatever he does where you can counter him best.

I'd handle it like that

Comment

Originally posted by kbpoetree View Post
            to slow someone down who is faster u gotta punch at the same time he does...makes it seem ur as fast and will slow him down a tad as he'll b more timid...keep ur hands round cheek level and use one oclock eleven oclock blocking
            I might have to give that a try, though when keeping both arms up I used to be vulnerable to that jab to the body, with my right arm tucked a bit lower that doesn't go in as much. However this guy's worst tactic on me is using the same hand to throw a hook to the body and then he goes to the head. That's pretty much the only time his hook isn't wide and easier to counter. He throws it from his hip and has enough speed most of the time to catch me on the head (arm still being down protecting the body).

Comment

Originally posted by Frighteous View Post
              If you say you can counter him, then set him up to do whatever he does where you can counter him best.

I'd handle it like that
              I ussualy get a few good shots in everytime we go at it, lately more than before but either I don't have the power needed to calm him down or he is one rezillient guy (probably a bit of both). I get the better of him in the beginning but as we continue he keeps increasing the rythm even if countered well in the start of the spar.

I tried to place more power in some of my hits whenever I felt it's safe to do so, but instead of keeping him at bay he goes all slugfest on me and I just go on survival mode. I stop letting go of my arms and try to duck as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Venoame View Post
                I ussualy get a few good shots in everytime we go at it, lately more than before but either I don't have the power needed to calm him down or he is one rezillient guy (probably a bit of both). I get the better of him in the beginning but as we continue he keeps increasing the rythm even if countered well in the start of the spar.

I tried to place more power in some of my hits whenever I felt it's safe to do so, but instead of keeping him at bay he goes all slugfest on me and I just go on survival mode. I stop letting go of my arms and try to duck as much as possible.
                jus remember man power is all in ur hips and feet i mean sure some can come from brute muscle in the arms but u sound like me..tall and skinny so the power has to come from the legs and jus wearen em down..remember body shots hurt like hell...thats truly best way to slow down an opponent..bait him high..then drop and throw a nasty right hand in2 his sternum....

Comment

Thanks for the tips all, I'll see how it goes on Wednesday

Comment

Working...
                  X