No announcement yet.

Rating the fighters [FLAME FREE BOXING thread]

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rating the fighters [FLAME FREE BOXING thread]

I made this as a place some of us can come to talk about fighters & boxing in general without the nonsense flame wars and worthless arguing. I have find it hard at times to have a fair discussion about some fighters such as Tyson,Trinidad,Jones, and others without it becoming negitive and assaulting to the fighters or the posters in the thread . I only ask for you to give your true fair opinion and stay open minded of others views. After all boxing is the most unpredictable of all sports so lets not pretend that our words are gospel.
    If you can not agree to this i ask you not to post in this thread . If you do post and can not be fair and peaceful I will ask that your post be removed .
    Well then my first question is your fair view opinion of what would become of Tyson if he would have fought in the 1970's Vs Ali,Frazier,Foreman,Norton,Holmes ?

Good question Ninja!I would give prime Tyson a good shot against all of the aforementioned names.But it's hard to analyse(Sp?)Mike.Before he went to prison he seemed to have it all.The mental and physical skills needed to be a true great.But then again he wasn't tested all that often.After prison he was tested against the likes of Holyfield and Lewis.And he didn't exactly pass.But then again his skills had started to decline.His once great head movement was non-existent.My point is that i'll never be sure if Tyson had what it takes to deal with such greats as Ali,Foreman,Frazier,Etc.So I would favor the top dogs of the seventys heavyweights(No one else)over Mike.But I would certainly give Mike more than a punchers chance.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REAL NINJA
      I made this as a place some of us can come to talk about fighters & boxing in general without the nonsense flame wars and worthless arguing. I have find it hard at times to have a fair discussion about some fighters such as Tyson,Trinidad,Jones, and others without it becoming negitive and assaulting to the fighters or the posters in the thread . I only ask for you to give your true fair opinion and stay open minded of others views. After all boxing is the most unpredictable of all sports so lets not pretend that our words are gospel.
      If you can not agree to this i ask you not to post in this thread . If you do post and can not be fair and peaceful I will ask that your post be removed .
      Well then my first question is your fair view opinion of what would become of Tyson if he would have fought in the 1970's Vs Ali,Frazier,Foreman,Norton,Holmes ?
      First of all I commend you for making this thread. I was hoping this could be a place to talk boxing in a civil manor without all the flaming.

Now to your question. tyson was a force of nature in his prime. There is part of me that thinks he could hold his own in any era. On the other hand his competition during that time is somewhat questionable. I would give Tyson the nod over Frazier. Ali I think was to wiley and would probably find a way to get in Tyson's head. Ali had a great chin and if Tyson didn't knock him out I think he would get flustered and probably get ko'd in the later rounds. Forman power and size would be too much for Tyson in my opinion. Tyson knocked the hell out of Holmes but Holmes was not in his prime. I think Tyson would have some trouble getting inside on a prime Larry and would probably end up on his back. I give prime Tyson an edge on Norton, and I think he could have taken Shavers as well but Ernie would have certainly had a punchers chance against Tyson.

Comment

Tyson Vs Norton is the one I am the most sure about. I just can't imagine his chin holding out for more then 5 rounds with Tyson.
        Tyson Vs Frazier, I give the nod also to Tyson. For as great as Frazier was and as powerful as he may have been he had a major weakness which was facial swelling and poor eyesight. I see it as a hard battle for both men but by mid fight Fraziers face is a mess and Joe will be Tko'd.
        Ali Vs Tyson I have never seen as a simple easy win for Ali like many do . I see a very hard fight in the same ways that Frazier Vs Ali were . Ali will not be able flurry on Tyson with as much ease as he had others . He will also not be able to hold his hands low and just pull his head away because Tyson's hand speed will catch him. What i've came up with, being as fair on both parts as I can is a 3 fight 2-1 split in favor of Ali . I think Ali had what it takes to beat Tyson on any given day but I also think that Tyson will land at some point in the same way that Frazier did but this time Ali doesn't make it back up.

Comment

Anyways back to reality What are your true thoughts on Roy Jones .Jr as far as competition level and where he should stand in history ?

Comment

tyson wouldnt beat many hw's in the 70's imo

Comment

Originally posted by THE REAL NINJA
              Anyways back to reality What are your true thoughts on Roy Jones .Jr as far as competition level and where he should stand in history ?
              rating roy jones is hard because he lacks that career defining fight were no-one thought he would win , or were he is losing and pulls out a tremendous turnaround to win against the odds

that imo seperates him from elite

Comment

Originally posted by El Temible
                rating roy jones is hard because he lacks that career defining fight were no-one thought he would win , or were he is losing and pulls out a tremendous turnaround to win against the odds

that imo seperates him from elite
                But at the same time I could say that it was because he was so great. Look at it like this , before Ali was old and past his prime how many times was he the underdog ? Maybe with Liston he was but other then that not many times [you can say the same for Tyson even] . Now that Roy is older he is just starting to get to the point where he may have fights like that but it's up to him if he want's to go thrue it .

Comment

but there were deinetly fights people would have picked against him in

also, you can look at his vs in his prime an say he is the biggest waste of talent opponent wise of all time

but still my 5th fave fighter

Comment

Originally posted by El Temible
                    but there were deinetly fights people would have picked against him in

also, you can look at his vs in his prime an say he is the biggest waste of talent opponent wise of all time

but still my 5th fave fighter
                    There were many ppl he should have fought, i'll admit that. But there are very few that I would say would be the favorite over him in his prime . There for I do think that a Tyson or Ali vs Jones analogies do work. Even if he had fought [Winski'???] win or lose he would have still had criticism today for not fighting [xxxxxx] and [xxxxxxx].

Comment

Working...
                    X