No announcement yet.

Juan Manuel Marquez vs Chris John - An Absolute Disgrace

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Manuel Marquez vs Chris John - An Absolute Disgrace

I watched it for the first time recently having read and heard conflicting views about it in the past, and I was suprised how it went (because a lot of people have hinted and claimed that Marquez legitimately lost) and felt absolutley disgusted when the decision was announced. I thought that Marquez almost completely dominated the fight and very clearly won despite having two points deducted (wrongly, in my view). Basically the fight was almost the same for all 12 rounds, Marquez was pressing the attack, coming forward and controlling the tempo, landing more punches, landing better punches and landing harder punches. John was very inactive and got hit a lot, and when he tried to let his hands go, he missed and got countered almost every time. I don't understand how he can be happy with this "victory". I have seen a lot of controversial and bad decisions and I view this as one of the Top 5 worst decisions I have seen.

Here's my scorecard :

Round 1 - Marquez
    Round 2 - Marquez
    Round 3 - Marquez (Close)
    Round 4 - Marquez
    Round 5 - Marquez
    Round 6 - Marquez
    Round 7 - Marquez
    Round 8 - Marquez
    Round 9 - Marquez
    Round 10 - John (10-8)
    Round 11 - John
    Round 12 - Marquez

Final scorecard - 117-110 (10-2-0) for Marquez

I only scored the 11th round 10-9 for John because I thought that outside of the deduction, he lost the round. I could have given him a 10-8 round there and it wouldn't have been too ridiculous to do so, but I also think I could easily have scored the 10th round 10-9 because that round was close enough to go either way, and I didn't. Overall, just a terrible decision in my eyes. Especially when you look at how the judges scored it, they all had John winning by 4-6 points and that's just criminal. Maybe they got the scorecards mixed up and gave it to the wrong guy? I don't know, but I can't believe that an investigation wasn't done following this fight, because in addition to the highly suspect judging, I also thought the referee was heavily biased towards John and against Marquez. It says a lot about how much of a class act J.M.M. is that I haven't even noticed him comment about this decision, nevermind complain about it, he just took it on the chin and kept things moving. Contrast that with his overrated brother, who whinged and moaned about a decision that wasn't even remotely close to being as controversial as this one. If I wanted to be super-generous then maybe I could've found a way to score it close, but I don't see how any honest and intelligent person can or could score it for John. Even if you score every competitive round for him, he should still lose. I could see 4 rounds for him, max. It wasn't even close in my eyes.

What do you think? I'm curious to know what others think about this bout.

Poll coming.
    For Marquez (Wide)
    57.14%
    For Marquez (Close)
    14.29%
    A Draw
    0.00%
    For John (Wide)
    0.00%
    For John (Close)
    28.57%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by JK1700; 08-21-2012, 10:16 AM.

I'm a huge Chris John fan, but a fan of Marquez as well.

I remember giving John at least 6 or 7 rounds, not including the point deductions.

Comment

I've heard it both ways, guess I'm gonna have to watch it, I'll get back to ya

Comment

I think I had Chris John winning a close fight. In fact I'm sure I did.

Comment

I will soon be ready and willing to watch this fight again and re-evaluate it, as I was quite tired and had been drinking a bit the day that I saw it, so please tell me which rounds you guys gave to John, so that I can watch them closely, because I found it difficult to give him more than 1. The 10th was the only round that I thought he won clearly, aside from that, I thought Marquez won almost all of them. John was landing more jabs, i'll give you that, but that alone doesn't win you a fight, he seemed to be taking hard right hands and body punches almost every time he opened up. I just don't see the logic in scoring it for Chris. Marquez threw more punches, landed more punches and landed the harder punches.
          Last edited by JK1700; 08-22-2012, 07:11 AM.

Comment

I watched the fight again on youtube. It's one of the biggest robberies in boxing. I am glad that Simpiwe Vetyeka TKO'ed CJ in his final fight.
            Last edited by Thomas_Hearns; 12-04-2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I'm tolerant and I don't pretend to be a flawless judge and boxing expert, but I don't get how it is possible to have John winning even with the senseless points deductions. That said, Juan Manuel Marquez is my favorite boxer ever.

Comment

He's been robbed plenty of times. The Freddie Norwood fight was also a robbery.

Comment

It's been a while but if I remember correctly I thought Marquez won. I'll have to watch it again!

Comment

Marquez and Nacho made the worst move they could have at the time.

Going up against an undefeated Indonesian star in his backyard was a bad idea.

It is not like marquez had any star power. They odds were stacked against him..

He should accepted pac rematch for 750k.

Comment

Working...
                    X