No announcement yet.

Who was the better Boxer ..........Duran or Pryor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the better Boxer ..........Duran or Pryor

Who was the better Boxer ..........Duran or Pryor ?

Ironically enough i think both had good defences but both got nailed good from time to time. Duran got knocked out by Hearns (past prime) Duran got dropped in both fights with De Jesus, Pryor on the other hand hit the canvas in almost every fight it seemed

Pryor left his chin up in the air when he attacked though, i dont think he was chinny or anything.

I make Pryor the better Boxer, he might not have been as good defensively inside as Duran but i think he had better legs and he was a little slicker, albeit i know he was also wreckless at times.

This is quite interesting because you can pick one way or another.

For me Duran is the better defensive Boxer and tactician, while Pryor the relentless offensive guy. Robertos Jab is underrated but Pryors is better (maybe because of the short arms of Roberto). Aaron would have been not so successful if he would had such an unbelievable condition and such a high workrate.
    For me Roberto is the slicker guy. And he is by far the more versatile guy. I go with Duran as the better boxer.

Comment

Roberto Doooo-ran

Comment

Duran moved up to welterweight to avoid facing Pryor according to Pryor`s Bio. This mite anger Duran fans but they felt the risk was too high for a Pryor fite as the money would have been lot less than Sugar Ray Leonard. Pryor on the other hand was plopped in the jr. welterweight division because he was avoided by the lightweight champions at the time. Leonard admitted to avoiding Pryor because money wasn`t right and Hearns had no excuses...He didn`t want to risk anything vs. Pryor. Only thing that finally beat Pryor was cokaine. He was great. Duran too.

Comment

Duran was more well rounded. When you think of Duran you don't really think about his defense but he did little things that made his defense very good. I can't really say the same about Pryors defense

Comment

Originally posted by mcentepede View Post
            Duran moved up to welterweight to avoid facing Pryor according to Pryor`s Bio. This mite anger Duran fans but they felt the risk was too high for a Pryor fite as the money would have been lot less than Sugar Ray Leonard. Pryor on the other hand was plopped in the jr. welterweight division because he was avoided by the lightweight champions at the time. Leonard admitted to avoiding Pryor because money wasn`t right and Hearns had no excuses...He didn`t want to risk anything vs. Pryor. Only thing that finally beat Pryor was cokaine. He was great. Duran too.
            I'm afraid you've got your facts wrong. Pryor was not even a contender when Duran moved up to 147 (1978) and he only became a factor (by beating Arguello in 1982) long after Duran had his fights against Ray Leonard.

Duran and his management did offer Pryor a chance to fight him, but Pryor declined.

Having seen most of the footage that is available of both, Duran is the better boxer by quite a margin in my opinion.

In all seriousness just look at these fights:

Last edited by TheGreatA; 10-10-2009, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
              I'm afraid you've got your facts wrong. Pryor was not even a contender when Duran moved up to 147 (1978) and he only became a factor (by beating Arguello in 1982) long after Duran had his fights against Ray Leonard.

Duran and his management did offer Pryor a chance to fight him, but Pryor declined.
              Having seen most of the footage that is available of both, Duran is the better boxer by quite a margin in my opinion.

Pryor claims the reason that him and Duran never fought was, when Panama Lewis got with him he made Pryor promise that he would never agree to fight Duran because he had, had a baby to Duran's sister, and Pryor kept to his promise.

Comment

Duran and it's not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post

With all due respect you probably just picked out Pryor's worst performance against Dujuan Johnson. You could just as easily post videos of Duran being KTFO or getting outboxed by Laing, Benitez, dropping a decision to Robbie Sims.

Duran is the better boxer by quite a margin in my opinion.
                  I swear Duran's Boxing skills are so overrated its untrue.
                  Last edited by Dynamite Kid; 10-10-2009, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
                    With all due respect you probably just picked out Pryor's worst performance against Dujuan Johnson. You could just as easily post videos of Duran being KTFO or getting outboxed by Laing, Benitez, dropping a decision to Robbie Sims.

Duran is the better boxer by quite a margin in my opinion.
                    I swear Duran's Boxing skills are so overrated its untrue.
                    Pryor's best boxing performances were against Arguello, when he switched into a boxer at times, but Arguello could be confused by such tactics.

I believe it's Pryor who is heavily overrated. I'm not claiming that Duran is among the classiest boxers but he got by mostly with his skills while Pryor got by with talent. Duran could get hit but Pryor at times could get hit at will, only surviving due to a granite-like chin.

I'm not sure if Pryor would do all that well against Laing, Benitez and Sims at 154/160 either, and at 30+ years of age. He was finished when he was 29 years old.
                    Last edited by TheGreatA; 10-10-2009, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X