Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"People would treat Earth differently if they saw it from space" – ESA astronaut

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
    No Actually, humans wouldn't treat the Earth better if they saw it from space. IMHO, a view from space pales in comparison to the natural wonders as they appear on ground level. It is impossible to suspect the true grandeur of a planet from space, although it is aesthetically dazzling, nothing can compare to life down here. What would help people treat the world better are conscientious parents, and community leaders stressing the limited nature and preciousness of the resources we are managing as a species.

Humans need to be taught when they are very young, that they are merely a part of the vastness of the web of life. Only human arrogance places us immutably at the top, and only our single-mindedness puts all life at risk. I think humans should explore the universe, but not because we've been forced from our beautiful home into the coldness of space....
    Astronauts disagree. I think what they experience when they see Earth from afar is the realisation it is really a planet. Thats what one astronaut said. That not only is it beautiful beyond words but you realise it is home to everything we have ever known. I guess Carl Sagans pale blue dot quote sums it up best.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
      Astronauts disagree. I think what they experience when they see Earth from afar is the realisation it is really a planet. Thats what one astronaut said. That not only is it beautiful beyond words but you realise it is home to everything we have ever known. I guess Carl Sagans pale blue dot quote sums it up best.

I think the astronaut point of view has more to do with professional prospective, whereas I incorporate the true meaning of Planet Earth back to what it's basically here for. Because the same effect can be achieved without hauling everyone up into space. I think education is really important because taking the average citizen for a space ride more than likely wouldn't produce awe and realization, at least nothing that would be of any use for us here back down on the planet. I think that point of view is important but so is the subatomic world, which is also amazingly compelling as being in orbit around the planet, but won't be seen by everyone.

The Planet Earth needs usable awe, and this can be attained if more people asked questions or understood the basics of an "ecosystem."

Last edited by Slip Stream; 12-15-2015, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I'm fine, I have my special light bulbs and a shopping bag for life.

This twat's probably in a zero G plane like the rest of these fake bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          Yup, congratulations, you lied and weaseled your way out of having an adult conversation.
          No, you claimed I made certain statements and had claimed certain beliefs. When challenged to prove I had made the statements and claimed the beliefs, you refused.

Face it, you got caught making more strawmen arguments and then you threw a temper tantrum. I gave you fair warning and told you I'd challenge you to prove any future claims you made about me, but I guess you just couldn't help yourself.
          Last edited by 1bad65; 12-16-2015, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming...l#.VnBrHkorJpg

Yet you keep posting it as evidence against climate change.
            They altered and deleted the temperature data. They then attempted to hide the altering and deleting until forced via a FOI lawsuit to come clean and fess up. You show me where in the Scientific Method it says it's ok to hide your data unless the courts force you to produce it.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
              I think the astronaut point of view has more to do with professional prospective, whereas I incorporate the true meaning of Planet Earth back to what it's basically here for. Because the same effect can be achieved without hauling everyone up into space. I think education is really important because taking the average citizen for a space ride more than likely wouldn't produce awe and realization, at least nothing that would be of any use for us here back down on the planet. I think that point of view is important but so is the subatomic world, which is also amazingly compelling as being in orbit around the planet, but won't be seen by everyone.

The Planet Earth needs usable awe, and this can be attained if more people asked questions or understood the basics of an "ecosystem."

Yea, education is the most important thing by far. But its not just astronauts that are moved emotionally when they see Earth from space, or as close as they can get. Seeing the planet as a whole is undoubtedly a moving experience because we realise that we really do all share the same small space.
              Almost all of us have seen diagrams of ecosystems but it doesnt inspire us or fill us with anything close to awe.

Comment

I think what makes seeing Earth from space so profound isn't seeing Earth, it's all the darkness that surrounds it. It's one of those things our minds can't really comprehend is that we're in a universe that has no known limits or boundaries.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
                  Yea, education is the most important thing by far. But its not just astronauts that are moved emotionally when they see Earth from space, or as close as they can get. Seeing the planet as a whole is undoubtedly a moving experience because we realise that we really do all share the same small space.
                  Almost all of us have seen diagrams of ecosystems but it doesnt inspire us or fill us with anything close to awe.
                  I'm not so sure we should be "inspired" to do what's in our best interests. When I wash my clothes, clean my house, and go to work. I do these things because they are necessary, not because I'm inspired in some way. There are vital tasks that humans need to engage in as a species, these things aren't always cute and frilly but still need to be done. The care of this planet is a collective effort that at times seems extremely daunting but the thought of future generations inheriting a world that's livable should provoke something in most humans.

Many people have seen the diagrams but do they know what they mean? Do they understand their place on this world and how it could be affecting the balance?

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                    They altered and deleted the temperature data. They then attempted to hide the altering and deleting until forced via a FOI lawsuit to come clean and fess up. You show me where in the Scientific Method it says it's ok to hide your data unless the courts force you to produce it.

Good luck!
                    Again, I see you didn't even bother reading the post. You want to be blind, your a sheep. Go away........

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                      I think what makes seeing Earth from space so profound isn't seeing Earth, it's all the darkness that surrounds it. It's one of those things our minds can't really comprehend is that we're in a universe that has no known limits or boundaries.
                      I agree - it is something our brains cannot fully comprehend, for all our 'earthly' genius.

Comment

Working...
                      X