Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Took More Risks In There Career, Roy Jones Jr Or Floyd Mayweather Jr?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Took More Risks In There Career, Roy Jones Jr Or Floyd Mayweather Jr?

You do you feel took the more risks in there career?

Give and answer and explain why.

Depends.

Risks that resulted in a W, Mayweather.

Risks period, Jones. Jones 6 losses bump his risk factor up significantly, nearly as much as all his wins combined.

Comment

Roy Jones. Fighting Tarver was a huge risk but he did it.

That fight outweighs any risk May ever took.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
        Roy Jones. Fighting Tarver was a huge risk but he did it.

That fight outweighs any risk May ever took.
        How the hell does Tarver outweigh Corrales?

Jones was favored to beat Tarver.
        Mayweather was favored to lose to Corrales.
        Tarver never would have made the top 10 p4p list without beating RJJ.
        Corrales stayed on the top 10 p4p list even after losing to Mayweather.
        Tarver had one loss and SD victory over an over-the-hill Reggie Johnson going into the first Jones fight.
        Corrales was undefeated with 33 wins, 29 of which ended inside of the distance.

It really is no contest. You got the excuse that Roy drained himself coming back down to LHW, but that's about it. It's not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
          How the hell does Tarver outweigh Corrales?

Jones was favored to beat Tarver.
          Mayweather was favored to lose to Corrales.
          Tarver never would have made the top 10 p4p list without beating RJJ.
          Corrales stayed on the top 10 p4p list even after losing to Mayweather.
          Tarver had one loss and SD victory over an over-the-hill Reggie Johnson going into the first Jones fight.
          Corrales was undefeated with 33 wins, 29 of which ended inside of the distance.

It really is no contest. You got the excuse that Roy drained himself coming back down to LHW, but that's about it. It's not enough.
          IIRC Floyd was favored to beat Corrales, 7-5. I don't remember the exact weight, but didn't Corrales have to drop from lightweight to super feather to fight Floy?

Comment

IIRC Floyd was favored to beat Corrales, 7-5. I don't remember the exact weight, but didn't Corrales have to drop from lightweight to super feather to fight Floy?
            You recall incorrectly. Corrales was the betting favorite. It wasn't a huge difference, but it existed.

And no, Corrales didn't drop from LW to SFW to fight Floyd. Corrales just defended his IBF SFW Championship against Angel Manfredy before he met Floyd. Mayweather on the other hand just fought Emanuel Augustus at LW, the only fight that damaged his "pretty" face in his entire career.

Comment

I go with Roy Jones:

Bernard Hopkins (a bit green but hell, a great fighter even in the 90s)

James Toney (at the time many rated him pound for pound one of the best)

Montel Griffin (undefeated, coming off a good win over Toney, outboxed Roy at times first time round. )

John Ruiz (By any standards, a solid, proven heavyweight. If a little dull)

Antonio Tarver x 3!!!

Joe Calzaghe (Many rated him pound for pound top five at the time)

Danny Green (Dont laugh!! A very heavy puncher, at cruiserweight in his home town in Australia)

I think this lot shades Coralles, past prime De La Hoya, Baldomir, Castillo, and Hatton/Marquez above their best weights.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                You recall incorrectly. Corrales was the betting favorite. It wasn't a huge difference, but it existed.

And no, Corrales didn't drop from LW to SFW to fight Floyd. Corrales just defended his IBF SFW Championship against Angel Manfredy before he met Floyd. Mayweather on the other hand just fought Emanuel Augustus at LW, the only fight that damaged his "pretty" face in his entire career.
                Toney was a bigger risk than Corrales.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Toney was a bigger risk than Corrales.
                  Yes. He took far more, which is why he has losses.

And I can't find where the odds for the Mayweather Corrales fight are, but I coulda swore Mayweather was favored to win. Does anybody have this?

Comment

Yes. He took far more, which is why he has losses.

And I can't find where the odds for the Mayweather Corrales fight are, but I coulda swore Mayweather was favored to win. Does anybody have this?
                    I'm pretty sure Floyd was the favorite. But many people were picking Corrales.

Comment

Working...
                    X