Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has GGG become a bigger star because of Canelo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has GGG become a bigger star because of Canelo?

Ever since people have been talking about the potential Canelo-GGG fight it seems GGG's profile has skyrocketed. This is a guy who a couple fights ago couldn't sell a 100k on PPV. The buzz for this fight is growing and Triple G is actually being featured frequently on sites like yahoo more now. The fight is starting to grow into a spectacle the way Mayweather-Pacquiao did. Obviously a Canelo-Golovkin scrap would contain much more action. At this rate the fight might actually do big business despite GGG's paltry stock just a couple fights ago. Now GGG gets the opportunity to KO a WW on HBO and in the UK market. No doubt some new people will tune in to see who this Golovkin guy is next saturday. If he can dispose of the WW as easily as Canelo disposed of Khan, casuals will be impressed. This could be HBO's biggest ratings to date this year. Brook isn't a known commodity and has never been featured on HBO. This would be due to the growing frenzy for Canelo-GGG. Building up to that showdown has done more for Gennad than any can he's crushed. Obviously grovelkin was just balking at 2 million for a Canelo fight the other day. So it remains to be seen if the untested puncher will be able to summon the courage to take on the proven boxing mega star in 2017.

theres a real buzz in the UK about golovkin. In this country, exciting fighters who take on all comers are popular. Noone cares about canelo here.

Comment

oh wow just read this bit 'So it remains to be seen if the untested puncher will be able to summon the courage to take on the proven boxing mega star in 2017' summon the courage, wtf you on about, golovkins wobbled him twice in one spar lol, hardly scared of him.

Comment

Canelo was very young when he sparred with GGG several years ago. Think about it. Since then he's faced Erislandy Lara, Floyd Mayweather, Austin Trout, Miguel Cotto and crushed a hard hitter like Kirkland to show he can do that as well. He doesn't seem too worried about anything Triple G has. A fighter the likes of Curtis Stevens buckled Gennad with a left hook. If that caliber of opponent can land just imagine what Canelo will do when he starts landing on the slow hittable Golovkin

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing lives View Post
          Ever since people have been talking about the potential Canelo-GGG fight it seems GGG's profile has skyrocketed. This is a guy who a couple fights ago couldn't sell a 100k on PPV. The buzz for this fight is growing and Triple G is actually being featured frequently on sites like yahoo more now. The fight is starting to grow into a spectacle the way Mayweather-Pacquiao did. Obviously a Canelo-Golovkin scrap would contain much more action. At this rate the fight might actually do big business despite GGG's paltry stock just a couple fights ago. Now GGG gets the opportunity to KO a WW on HBO and in the UK market. No doubt some new people will tune in to see who this Golovkin guy is next saturday. If he can dispose of the WW as easily as Canelo disposed of Khan, casuals will be impressed. This could be HBO's biggest ratings to date this year. Brook isn't a known commodity and has never been featured on HBO. This would be due to the growing frenzy for Canelo-GGG. Building up to that showdown has done more for Gennad than any can he's crushed. Obviously grovelkin was just balking at 2 million for a Canelo fight the other day. So it remains to be seen if the untested puncher will be able to summon the courage to take on the proven boxing mega star in 2017.
          Canelo has become a bigger star because of GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing lives View Post
            Canelo was very young when he sparred with GGG several years ago. Think about it. Since then he's faced Erislandy Lara, Floyd Mayweather, Austin Trout, Miguel Cotto and crushed a hard hitter like Kirkland to show he can do that as well. He doesn't seem too worried about anything Triple G has. A fighter the likes of Curtis Stevens buckled Gennad with a left hook. If that caliber of opponent can land just imagine what Canelo will do when he starts landing on the slow hittable Golovkin
            i'd have to disagree, seems as if he is very worried about what Triple G has, hence why he wants 3 or 4 fights to work his way up before fighting golovkin. Yeah fair point he was young during the spar, will have improved, but still i really dont think theres anything to indicate that GGG would be scared of him.

Comment

Canelo helped by lowering his own

Comment

It hasn't hurt him, but idk that he's had a big increase in popularity since all this silly "marination" til GGG is 37 bs has been going on.

I think GGG is gonna need to actually get that big fight & the big W in that fight to see any big jump in popularity.

And even then I have serious doubts about a non-latino, non-American becoming a big star in the US. Only Manny & Lennox have done that in the last 20+ years so the odds are against it. But there are more talented non-latino, non-Americans then ever in the US so I think someone will do it eventually, but I tend to think GGG is too old to accomplish it.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                  Canelo has become a bigger star because of GGG.
                  Haha Canelo became a bigger star thanks to Mayweather. The Cotto fight didn't hurt either. Now he is packing stadiums with the likes of Liam Smith. I think this was just to show how big a star he is. GGG getting Brook in the UK was a good counter though. The fans there will be out in force to support Brook.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                    i'd have to disagree, seems as if he is very worried about what Triple G has, hence why he wants 3 or 4 fights to work his way up before fighting golovkin. Yeah fair point he was young during the spar, will have improved, but still i really dont think theres anything to indicate that GGG would be scared of him.
                    Neither fighter wanted it immediately. GGG didn't want it at 155, Canelo didn't want it at 160. Neither fighter wanted to accept the others terms so the representatives decided to build it for 2017 so that both fighters financial demands would be met. We know GGG wants the Canelo fight for the money. He is demanding north of 2 million and a career payday but I don't blame him. Canelo is a very dangerous fight for him. His style will eventually get him KO'd and Canelo is likely the opponent good enough to do it. No shame in losing to Canelo though.

Comment

Working...
                    X