Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shawn Porter needs to watch some Ricky Hatton fights!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawn Porter needs to watch some Ricky Hatton fights!

First off, I think Shawn has more physical talent and the possibility to be a far better fighter than Hatton, but he desperately needs more finesse and skill to his work. I don't think he is as skilful or as smart as Hatton was as a pressure fighter. Hatton came forward, but was so much cuter on the inside, he also used pull counters, counter uppercuts and up jabs, and generally used his jab in a more effective way when coming in.

He had better footwork and varied his rhythm, thing is Shawn has the ability to do all these things and do them faster, although the ring intelligence can't be taught, he has the physical ability to practice and perfect a lot of things in the gym, plus his chin seems to extremely solid. There are many great pressure fighters he could watch, but I bring up Hatton because he didn't have the talent of a Tyson or some of the great pressure fighters down the years but he still did a lot of good things, some of which Porter doesn't have in his arsenal, in fact he has a very basic arsenal and punch selection, its really frustrating to watch.

The fight was there for the taking against Thurman, but he just doesn't have enough creativity and variety in his work, he didn't use the jab enough, he hurt Thurman to the body and never followed up, Thurman didn't even need to move as much as I expected, I know its tougher than it looks in their at that level, but I didn't see Thurman really doing a lot to offset Porter, and I think Shawn let rounds get away from him, rather than Thurman taking them.

Hatton couldnt fight in the inside at all just like Porter..Porter needs to develop a jab and an inside game to be honest.

Comment

right hook roll under

Comment

I think he needs some contacts. Guy has a depth perception problem or something. It's like he can't find that right distance. Either too far away getting found or too close smothering his own power and punches.

Comment

Porter is a real solid boxer, I honestly prefer him when he's on the outside. For large periods of the fight against Thurman, he was actually outboxing Thurman, his jab was a lot better than Thurman's, but everytime he abandoned it and tried to ambush Thurman, he got caught with clean, flush combinations which lost him a lot of rounds.

Porter has outboxed Thurman (in patches), Broner, Alexander, Pauli and outboxed a lotta guys in the ams, he beat guys like Usyk, Andrade, Jacobs etc in the ams, his boxing ability is extremely underrated. I wish he would be more disciplined in the ring and win fights with his skill rather than his will more often, obviously he can still mix it up and adjust his style depending on who he's fighting, but in general he's a better boxer than he's shown people so far.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
            Hatton couldnt fight in the inside at all just like Porter..Porter needs to develop a jab and an inside game to be honest.
            I respectfully disagree. He was a very good inside fighter, and similar in style to Porter. Floyd was the only fighter who was able to beat him on the inside, but Floyd is A+ everywhere in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
              Compare that to a Shawn Porter highlight, he is just so much more crude and there is no method to what he is doing. He needs a trainer. There isn't a lot of footage in here, but it was all I could really find, the thing is there isn't one thing in here that you look at and say, 'man that was a nice boxing move' or 'that was a nice shot' like you do in the Ricky Hatton highlights. There is nothing deliberate about his work at all. In spite of all that, he is still able to compete at the top of the sport, so imagine if someone actually taught him how to maximise his gifts and talent.

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
                Porter is a real solid boxer, I honestly prefer him when he's on the outside. For large periods of the fight against Thurman, he was actually outboxing Thurman, his jab was a lot better than Thurman's, but everytime he abandoned it and tried to ambush Thurman, he got caught with clean, flush combinations which lost him a lot of rounds.

Porter has outboxed Thurman (in patches), Broner, Alexander, Pauli and outboxed a lotta guys in the ams, he beat guys like Usyk, Andrade, Jacobs etc in the ams, his boxing ability is extremely underrated. I wish he would be more disciplined in the ring and win fights with his skill rather than his will more often, obviously he can still mix it up and adjust his style depending on who he's fighting, but in general he's a better boxer than he's shown people so far.
                I think he will always struggle to box because of his dimensions vs the weight he fights at, but I agree he is underrated and pretty nice in that department, he has good hand speed. I think he could be a very good pressure fighter also, if someone taught him to fight in that style properly, he needs to make some changes, his father being the first one.

Comment

Main problems with Porter is, he isn't consistent with the jab and he seriously needs to slow down his attack on the inside. Hatton at least did that. Think it was round 8 where Porter was running into shots after landing the body shot that hurt Thurman, he looked awful there.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                    right hook roll under

Comment

Working...
                    X