Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kevin cunningham: Alexander ready to fight bradley after he takes care of kotelnik

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin cunningham: Alexander ready to fight bradley after he takes care of kotelnik

August 02, 2010

KEVIN CUNNINGHAM: ALEXANDER READY TO FIGHT BRADLEY AFTER HE TAKES CARE OF KOTELNIK THIS WEEK

By Benny "Big Dog" Henderson Jr

Kevin Cunningham, a former narcotics officer turned world class manger/trainer, speaks on his 140-pound IBF/WBC world champion Devon Alexander. "The Great" defends his titles in his hometown of St. Louis, Missouri against number one contender, Andriy Kotelnik. The bout will headline an HBO Boxing After Dark telecast on Saturday night.

Benny Henderson Jr.: Your fighter Devon Alexander has his title defense this weekend against Andriy Kotelnik, your thoughts on that match-up.

Kevin Cunningham: Kotelnik is a serious contender; he is a top ten 140-pounder. Anytime you are an Olympic silver medalist and former WBA junior welterweight champion, you have to be taken seriously, because those are some major accomplishments. We are taking him serious.

BH: Honestly I do not know much about Alexander’s opponent, Andriy Kotelnik, but being Alexander’s trainer I am sure you have seen tape on this cat and know about him. So how do you compare Alexander’s style to Kotelnik’s and how do they match-up?

KC: I think it is going to be an exciting fight, he comes forward and has a pretty good defense, and he looks to be on the attack. But Devon is going to be explosive as usual.

BH: Here you have a twenty-three year old world champion under your wing, there are a lot of temptations in the world for a young man with a status as world champion. So as a trainer, how do you keep your fighter grounded as well as focused?

KC: He is humble and he stays focused, he is a hard worker and very dedicated, so it is pretty easy.

BH: I know Alexander as well as you are not looking past this weekend, but there are some potential great match-ups for Alexander if all goes well this weekend. Particularly a match-up against Timothy Bradley who brought up Devon’s name in a post fight interview, give the readers your thoughts on a Bradley versus Alexander fight.

KC: Well, basically we are focused on Saturday night but the boxing world has been begging to see an Alexander vs. Bradley fight, so that is a fight we have always been willing to make and once we take care of business Saturday night we will sign the contract that night if Team Bradley and Tim Bradley is willing and ready. That is a fight that we definitely will be interested in once we take care of business Saturday night.

BH: Anything in closing you want to add to concerning this weekend’s title bout?

KC: I just want everybody to tune in on Saturday night and check out the number one 140-punder in the world fight one of the best 140-pounders in the world, and Alexander is going to put on a spectacular performance.

talk boxing

Comment

hey Webb, you goin this Saturday?

Comment

Cunningham is beginning to sound more like Roach, I heard his interview last week and it was in poor taste, He doesnt need that and i hope he or alexander arent overlooking Kotelnik.

Comment

Originally posted by -pound4pound- View Post
          hey Webb, you goin this Saturday?
          Yea, I'm supposed to be going with a bunch of my fam. Haven't gotten my tickets yet, but that won't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by V-3 View Post
            Yea, I'm supposed to be going with a bunch of my fam. Haven't gotten my tickets yet, but that won't be a problem.

good **** man...do you know what the rest of the card looks like?

Comment

Originally posted by -pound4pound- View Post
              good **** man...do you know what the rest of the card looks like?
              At the moment, I don't know the whole card. I know Cloud-Johnson, and Spinks-Bundrage are the other 2 title fighters on the cards. Not sure about the others. When I find out, I'll be sure to post them here.

Comment

Originally posted by V-3 View Post
                At the moment, I don't know the whole card. I know Cloud-Johnson, and Spinks-Bundrage are the other 2 title fighters on the cards. Not sure about the others. When I find out, I'll be sure to post them here.

yea lemme know...im aware of the HBO fights...i was interested to see which non-televised prospects might be on there as well

Comment

Working...
                X