Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the last time an American was considered the best Heavyweight in the world?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When was the last time an American was considered the best Heavyweight in the world?

I'm looking at the records and despite Lewis being upsetted by Rahman that year in 2001, he was still considered the best. It was widely regarded as a 'freak upset' and it was. After Lennox left, Vitali took over, then Wladimir.

So when was the last time an American was considered the best?

Ring got Holyfield ranked #1 in 1997, that's some bull**** and obvious lie. Holyfield in 1997 went life and death with Vaughn, Lewis knocked out a Prime Golota (who destroyed Bowe) in 30 seconds. Lewis was also 4 times as active.

I say back in 1996, right after Holyfield beat Tyson
    Early 90's Holyfield Bowe fight days
    35.71%
    Mid 90's After Holyfield beat Tyson
    28.57%
    Late 80's Tyson Days
    21.43%
    97-98
    0.00%
    LAMONT BREWSTER
    14.29%
    Last edited by UnicornGirl; 07-29-2012, 04:13 PM.

Actually I forgot about Brewster, because Wladimir back then wasn't highly regarded at all. So after Lamont knocked Wlad out, I guess he could be considered #1. If Vitali had retired at the time.

That being said, Samuel Peter had a nice run for a year or so during the same time. So can Brewster be considered to be better that year then a Prime Peter?

Comment

Not to condemn him completely but there are strong and persistent rumors which suggest that Holyfield was a steroid cheat. So who was considered the best prior to him, Tyson?

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
        Not to condemn him completely but there are strong and persistent rumors which suggest that Holyfield was a steroid cheat. So who was considered the best prior to him, Tyson?
        Tough to say. I don't know if you follow HW History cuz I'm just here every now and then.

But in the early 90's There was a 4 men 'super 4' HW Tournament.

Holyfield vs Bowe, Lennox vs Ruddock. Bowe and Lennox won, Bowe chickened out of the Finals. So I guess you can say Bowe was the best, but if he was the best why did he run from a green Lennox? So I don't know. Tough to decide.

If you feel Bowe was scared of Lennox, then there is no way you can say Bowe was the best HW. So you have to go back to Tyson 80's Days back when the US **** Blocked the rest of the world from HW Fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornGirl View Post
          Tough to say. I don't know if you follow HW History cuz I'm just here every now and then.

Holyfield vs Bowe, Lennox vs Ruddock. Bowe and Lennox won, Bowe chickened out of the Finals. So I guess you can say Bowe was the best, but if he was the best why did he run from a green Lennox? So I don't know. Tough to decide.

If you feel Bowe was scared of Lennox, then there is no way you can say Bowe was the best HW. So you have to go back to Tyson 80's Days back when the US **** Blocked the rest of the world from HW Fighting.
          Only loosely. How did the US ****-block the rest of the world from HW fighting? did they refuse to fight foreign fighters or something? I know Bruno went over for a fight in the 80s.

Comment

Holyfield was the last number one from the US. And the united states never blocked the rest of the rest of the world, that was their own politics that prevented them from fighting.
            Last edited by JAB5239; 07-29-2012, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Do you know what the best Heavyweights in "the rest of the world" (by which I'm supposing you mean the Soviet Bloc)? Oh yeah, that's right: The best Heavyweights in "the rest of the world" were getting KTFO by Americans in the Olympics :cool9:

Poet

Comment

Working...
              X