Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Under Roach, Khan will never change, EVER.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under Roach, Khan will never change, EVER.

First of all, I love Freddie to death as a boxing fan. He's a great guy and he is a true boxing legend as a trainer. I know you Roach fans will not agree, but let's be honest, Roach is not going to mold Khan into a different fighter or fix his flaws at this point. Roach knows his stuff but he's is not the right trainer to take Khan forward and make him a better fighter.

I'm no guru, but when I see fighters suffer the same sort of losses that haunted them in the past, you just know not much has changed. Khan has been taking unnecessarily shots and has thrown his attributes to the curb in his last couple of fights. He is still making the same mistakes. He has the attributes there, but his ring IQ is costing him for one, and his defensive flaws. He needs fight with a bit more productivity and carefulness. He is absolutely reckless at this level and the shots he is being caught with, he shouldn't be. He is exchanging far to much with big punchers. Safety first when your chin isn't great is a must. He was caught by a one shot and that was it. You knew it, I knew it - it was all over.

The same thing will happen all over and over for him. Those shots Garcia was landing last night was absolutely frightening guys. Not only in this fight, but in his last outings he was shipping similar punishment. Against Maidana he was practically out of it, stumbling back to his corner and barely making it through. He was close to being stopped there and some referees would have seen enough. Khan is making things difficult for himself.

Let's be honest, the warning signs have been there for a while and yet haven't been fixed. It was a matter of time I guess. I didn't really see it coming this particular time, but I sure as hell seen what was going to happen when those left hooks of Garcia were swinging. Head down, swinging vicious left hooks, and Khan walked right on to them.

Khan needs a change and fast. But I think he might be to naive to make change now. He is victim of his hype too. Maybe its all happened to fast for him (I don't know). Any more losses in such manner will surely have him on the brink. That was loss was a heavy one. Not the sort of losses you need early in your career.

And just one more thing...I feel for Khan. He is very talented but his chin is just not there for him. He has tremendous heart and courage for a fighter. He is a true warrior when it comes to gritting it out, but his legs just won't allow him to continue. His heart is there, he wants to fight, but his legs are sending him different signals. Khan has a massive heart - It cannot be questioned. but I think the way he fights considering his chin isn't great is criminal at this level. He is blessed with the talents to be great, but his chin will forever live with him. It's sad he cannot change that but he can learn to protect and be less vulnerable.

In a nutshell. If Khan doesn't change something. You get the feeling he is not far away from another brutal loss.

Khan has a glass chin, there isn't much any coach can do about that, he's guaranteed to get hit on it at least once during a fight.

It happened against Prescott, it happened against Maidana and now Garcia.

Best bet is just to keep him away from punchers, still big fights out there against guys who don't have heavy hands, Tim Bradley for one.

Comment

Uturn, Great post and every word is true. I don't see him leaving Roach although he ought to. If he can be joint trained with hopkins that could work. Khan is thick but even if a little of Hopkins ring IQ rubbed off it would count for a lot. His defence needs loads of work,he needs to cover up when attacking . If he did that yesterday he would not have been hit with the big hook and he needs to learn how to fight on the inside. But all this is easier said than done and these skills have to be instinctive which may be impossible to implement at this late stake.Although young he has been fighting the same way for years and his present style,s MO is woven into his DNA. Learning new tricks is a big ask and I just don't see him doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
        Khan has a glass chin, there isn't much any coach can do about that, he's guaranteed to get hit on it at least once during a fight.

It happened against Prescott, it happened against Maidana and now Garcia.

Best bet is just to keep him away from punchers, still big fights out there against guys who don't have heavy hands, Tim Bradley for one.
        He is not smart enough to beat Tim Bradley, and us Bradley fans have been telling everyone this for more than a year now.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          He is not smart enough to beat Tim Bradley, and us Bradley fans have been telling everyone this for more than a year now.
          Doesn't mean he can't have a go at fighting him - 'grow some balls bro'

Comment

Not right now he shouldn't. Khan doesn't deserve that fight at all.

Comment

I think Khan needs someone like Floyd Sr or Eddie Mustafa Muhammad. Right before he hooked up with Roach, he visited Floyd Sr and considered training with him. I think that would have been a better match. Roach didn't do anything to change Amir's amateur style, and just based his strategies fighting the same way he always has (made him run to stay off the ropes so he wouldn't have to learn inside fighting, encouraged hoping in and out of range against big punchers).

Floyd Sr can teach Amir defense and inside fighting.

Comment

Great post...very true

Hes too stubborn, wanting to brawl with brawlers....hes a boxer...and his chin is decent but he leaves himself open to be hit with something like Garcias inside left hook...

Khan needs to either Box like the boxer he is...or just quit cos hes gonna keep being punished

Comment

Khan cant take a punch...Dont give a fnck who trains you...thats a issue that cant be trained differently. Even a great defense wont help. Only ONE shot can ruin the day for a weak chinned fighter. Roach is the best thing for Khan. Period!

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                    Khan cant take a punch...Dont give a fnck who trains you...thats a issue that cant be trained differently. Even a great defense wont help. Only ONE shot can ruin the day for a weak chinned fighter. Roach is the best thing for Khan. Period!
                    A great defense would help a lot actually.

No reason a guy with a glass chin should be an offensive fighter. Just not smart.

Comment

Working...
                    X