No announcement yet.

Joe Calzaghe above average only

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Calzaghe above average only

Am I the only person who believes that Joe Calzaghe is an above average boxer at best? The line "always some angle to hang onto the title longer than I should have had it", from Rocky springs to mind!

Look at his record, where is Roy Jones, where is Glen Johnson? Nigel Benn would have destroyed him inside 3 rounds! And Benn fought the best that the division had to offer - he didn't duck anyone!

As for Calzaghe requesting a bout with Bernard Hopkins, surely this demonstrates the lengths that is he prepared to go to in order to hold onto the title the easy way - and avoid any potential defeats!

Yea, you could argue that Kessler also has no great names on his record, but at least he's prepared to box Calzaghe! As for the Lacy bout, Lacy was a middle weight at best! Gone are the days of Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran, at least they had the courage to fight each, and didn't run from anyone!

Flagellum Dei

yes. you are the only person.

nah...the calzaghe ducking/excuses issue is never gonna go away unless he fights kessler which is getting less and less likely. its a pity cos i think he really could have become a legend. but even with his resume, i think he is far above average.

i'm not so sure that benn would have destroyed him in three rounds, but it would have been a great fight.

Comment

Lacy was a middleweight?

Comment

Originally posted by Flagellum Dei View Post
        Am I the only person who believes that Joe Calzaghe is an above average boxer at best? The line "always some angle to hang onto the title longer than I should have had it", from Rocky springs to mind!

Look at his record, where is Roy Jones, where is Glen Johnson? Nigel Benn would have destroyed him inside 3 rounds! And Benn fought the best that the division had to offer - he didn't duck anyone!

As for Calzaghe requesting a bout with Bernard Hopkins, surely this demonstrates the lengths that is he prepared to go to in order to hold onto the title the easy way - and avoid any potential defeats!

Yea, you could argue that Kessler also has no great names on his record, but at least he's prepared to box Calzaghe! As for the Lacy bout, Lacy was a middle weight at best! Gone are the days of Hagler, Leonard, Hearns and Duran, at least they had the courage to fight each, and didn't run from anyone!

Flagellum Dei
        So what are you saying? I'm willing to fight Calzaghe for cheaper, I have no opponents at all.

That's a pretty dull argument.

Comment

Lacy was a middleweight?
          I think what he is refering to is that Lacy is very short for a top SMW.
          Can't think of anyone inside top-20 who's shorter - but haven't checked.

Even at MW i guess he wouldn't be tall really.

Comment

Originally posted by dumdane View Post

Marvin Hagler, Ray Leonard, Winky Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by dumdane View Post

he still looked bigger than calzaghe

bika looked 20lbs heavier!

Comment

Originally posted by Flagellum Dei View Post

Flagellum Dei
                Even Nigel doesn't agree with this statement, Benn thinks that Calzaghe could have dominated the division in his era.
                Calzaghe is a great fighter, one of the greatest super middles of all time but....agreed there will always be that nagging doubt but its plain to see how good the guy is!

Comment

Joe probably has more natural talent than any boxer I've seen. He has never TRIED to turn opponents as well as he can, move in and out of range as well as he can, turn and strike as well as he can, rinse and repeat as well as he can, judge distance and timing as well as he can - it was all there from the start, and just occurs in fights naturally! He doesn't even think about it. This is what I've been told by a guy who's opinion I respect, and who has watched Joe from his earliest days. His mind doesn't understand his craft as well as his insticts do, and his main problem has always been that his heart is TOO big! That was the only worry against Lacy. Joe loves nothing more than getting stuck in, can't help being drawn into a fight, probably due to frustrations he's always had (eg bullied, sacrifices for boxing, career frustrations, domestic issues).

He's one of the best ever.
                  Last edited by GEOFFHAYES; 10-29-2006, 05:24 AM.

Comment

how is it a dull argument? The point is, that Kessler isn't afraid to fight Calzaghe, who is argued to be the best smw in the world at the present time, where as Calzaghe 'again is argued to be the best smw in the world at the present time - i'll say it twice coz you seem unable to comprehend cogent arguements' is afraid to fight him! And to be honest if Calzaghe could get away with fighting you for less money he would probably take it!
                    Are you telling me that you TRULY believe that Calzaghe DOES NOT dodge certain oppostion?

Comment

Working...
                    X