Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida Confirmed For UFC 98

Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida Confirmed For UFC 98

Chris Insinna

With Quinton Jackson likely sidelined with a lingering jaw injury and rumored hand injury, Lyoto Machida is expected to challenge UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans for the title in the main event of UFC 98 on May 23rd in Las Vegas.

Evans informed Sherdog on Monday that Jackson was likely to need time off before fighting for the title and that Machida would be his likely opponent at UFC 98. Sportsnet.ca adds that UFC.com posted banners with the title “UFC 98: Evans vs. Jackson” and added the bout to the official UFC 98 lineup on Sunday only to have it taken down on Monday. Finally, the British tabloid The Sun is reporting that the injuries will indeed prevent “Rampage” from facing Evans at UFC 98 and Lyoto Machida will instead challenge for the title.

The UFC has not yet officially announced an opponent for Evans and is likely to hold off announcing Machida until they’re absolutely sure Jackson will be unable to make the quick turnaround and fight again in May. If Jackson is unable to fight he remains likely to challenge the winner of the UFC 98 main event later this year.

hell. yeah.

lyoto is going to pick evans apart then lower the boom.

lyoto's here to stay - he's like the equivalent of JMM in the octagon; smart.

Comment

Finally Machida is going to take that belt the guy will remain Champ for a LONG LONG time

Comment

i don't see evans beating machida, there's not many at 205 who can. i got a bad feeling he'll beat rampage too

Comment

I might have to agree with Machida given rashad hell, and i am a fan of both but im rooting for evans. Fight can go either way.

Comment

Rashad Evans for me

Comment

I'm willing to put 100k on Machida if anyone's interested.

Comment

I read that it was supposed to be Evans vs Rampage but Rampage didn't want the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by cuauhtemoc1496 View Post
                  I read that it was supposed to be Evans vs Rampage but Rampage didn't want the fight.
                  didnt he have surgery on his hip or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Mech. View Post
                    didnt he have surgery on his hip or something?
                    It was arthroscopic surgery to repair a ligament in his jaw.

Comment

Working...
                    X