Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish Boxing was more popular with the youth.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The UFC is practically dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Power View Post
      The UFC is practically dead.
      It's business dropped by 25% in 2011 and they're 500 million in debt right now.

Comment

I believe in media exposure, Boxing still lacks compared to MMA. I mean how many people do you see, at least for me, wear Everlast, Cleto Reyes, etc. merchandise. On the other hand I always see Tap Out gear..

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
          Boxing's fan base in the US is around 50 million
          UFC's fan base as of 2012 is around 22 million

25% of boxing fans are considered young - 12.5 million
          80% of UFC fans are considered young - 17 million

In terms of youth culture the UFC seems to be ahead but not really by a whole lot. Like many things those rumours are over blown. It's been part of the UFC's marketing strategy to attract the youth and denounce boxing as your father's sport. It's nothing but propaganda really and isn't supported by ANY factual evidence whatsoever.

The UFC has an unusually high percentage of young fans that I don't think is matched by any other sport. However that's only a percentage of relatively small fan base. They have a large slice of a small cake so to speak.
          Well, you have a young man here who's providing us with real-world anecdotal evidence. Even the numbers seem to support that it's not all propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
            They should have a boxing team in schools just like they have football and basketball teams
            at my HS they had old trophies/medals of the boxing team from like the 50s in the trophy case, but they said it was phased out as too dangerous or some bs.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              Well, you have a young man here who's providing us with real-world anecdotal evidence. Even the numbers seem to support that it's not all propaganda.
              I'm seventeen and I say loads of people follow boxing. By your logic this is proof?

Once people get an idea into their heads they start to repeat it. Dana White repeats the boxing is for old men stuff so much he even has boxing fans saying it. UFC fans and boxing fans are very fickle. The moment I saw this thread title I knew it would contain two things 1. the TS would have very few posts. 2. He would immediately mention the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by slickslysmooth View Post
                I believe in media exposure, Boxing still lacks compared to MMA. I mean how many people do you see, at least for me, wear Everlast, Cleto Reyes, etc. merchandise. On the other hand I always see Tap Out gear..
                Good point. Also, unless it's Pacquiao or Mayweather, I never see boxing advertised at the sports bars in my area. They always seem to be charging admission for a UFC PPV.

Comment

I think people lack appreciaton. I mean Boxing has some great stories, we may not have as many now at least for American fighters, but man this is a heartbreaking sport. It's not a team sport, it's a sole individual that's why I can't believe more people aren't tuning in. I mean Broner, regardless of how good he is, has 5 kids he has to support.. and he chose to do so by Boxing, look at him now.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
                    I'm seventeen and I say loads of people follow boxing. By your logic this is proof?

Once people get an idea into their heads they start to repeat it. Dana White repeats the boxing is for old men stuff so much he even has boxing fans saying it. UFC fans and boxing fans are very fickle.
                    I said it was "anecdotal evidence," not proof. I also said that "the numbers seem to support that it's not all propaganda." Are you going to argue with the statistics?

Comment

when I was 17, i was already very big in Boxing. I sometimes annoy my friends when I talked about it a lot and counter their karate or UFC stories. LOL. I also start self-training myself when I was 12. My girls hates it a lot when I bring them to the theaters to watch boxing. I also got whooped using the floyd mayweather/ broner stance one time.

Comment

Working...
                      X