Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 70s Top HWs: who could possibly beat Joe Frazier besides Ali and Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 70s Top HWs: who could possibly beat Joe Frazier besides Ali and Foreman

After Ali, Foreman and Frazier, the next best heavyweights of the Golden Era of the 70s are Ken Norton, Jimmy Young, Earnie Shavers and Ron Lyle, Ali fought them all while Foreman only had Shavers excluded in his resume.

Joe Frazier never fought any of them, but he did sparred with Norton and Young, and also defeated Jerry Quarry, who holds wins over Shavers and Lyle.

Who among these could possibly beat Joe Frazier in a 15-round fight, my guess is Earnie Shavers for the simple reason of his punching power could end a fight if he lands, I think Smokin Joe decisions Norton, Lyle and Young.

I'd pick Frazier over all of the other heavyweights, best shot of those you named I'd probably give to Lyle, who could box and punch well enough to give him a decent punchers chance, which is realistically all any of them have over 15 rounds. Shavers would probably be knocked out too early for him to get the shot he needed.

You left out Holmes, who had 32 fights in the '70s, with wins over the likes of Norton and Shavers. He'd have the best shot, but I'd still pick Frazier to do to him, what he did to Ali in the first fight.

I guess you may have done that intentionally however, since a real life match-up would be unrealistic and unfair, with either a very green Holmes fighting a faded Frazier, or a shot Frazier fighting an experienced Holmes. But best versions of both of them from the '70s? Frazier UD, maybe even a late TKO.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
      I'd pick Frazier over all of the other heavyweights, best shot of those you named I'd probably give to Lyle, who could box and punch well enough to give him a decent punchers chance, which is realistically all any of them have over 15 rounds. Shavers would probably be knocked out too early for him to get the shot he needed.

You left out Holmes, who had 32 fights in the '70s, with wins over the likes of Norton and Shavers. He'd have the best shot, but I'd still pick Frazier to do to him, what he did to Ali in the first fight.

I guess you may have done that intentionally however, since a real life match-up would be unrealistic and unfair, with either a very green Holmes fighting a faded Frazier, or a shot Frazier fighting an experienced Holmes. But best versions of both of them from the '70s? Frazier UD, maybe even a late TKO.
      I believe there was never a point in that period Joe Frazier had to fight any of these four since Ali was winning over them, and Lyle and Young would fade by '78, but no need to, Joe Frazier was a great champion.

I didnt include Holmes because I consider his best era was in the 80s, no way Frazier stands a chance against Holmes by 1979-1980 but How I wish he gave it a shot. one last chance to win the Heavyweight belt.

Comment

I'd give 1970 Liston a decent chance to beat Frazier, but would probably bet on Joe at that stage of Liston's career.

Comment

Against Frazier, prime for prime......Lyle and Shavers have punchers chances.

Young and Holmes have shots at decision wins.

No result could be accurately predicted though. Prime for prime, Frazier might beat all these men.

I don't think that Norton beats Frazier. I think that Frazier shades Norton for workrate and chin.

Comment

I'm not swearing he could beat Joe, but Norton was a nightmare for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
              I'd give 1970 Liston a decent chance to beat Frazier, but would probably bet on Joe at that stage of Liston's career.

Liston was way too slow to beat a hungry prime Frazier at that point.

Comment

Floyd patterson who was coming off 2 blatant highway robberies

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
                  Floyd patterson who was coming off 2 blatant highway robberies

You really think the 1970s version of Patterson stands any chance against Frazier ?.

I don't think any version of him beats Frazier really, but too think the 1970s version does is just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post

You really think the 1970s version of Patterson stands any chance against Frazier ?.

I don't think any version of him beats Frazier really, but too think the 1970s version does is just silly.
                    Absolutely. Frazier would have taken apart any version of Patterson. Very bad matchup for Floyd.

Comment

Working...
                    X