No announcement yet.

Are squats safe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are squats safe?

I know body weight ones are safe, but i was thinking about the body building type ones, i dont normally go higher then 80 kgs (i can do a few reps of 100 but dont feel i need to) anyway ive been gettin knee pain when doing them, its pain that i can handle though, not excrutiation kinda thing....anyway i was wondering whats your opinion on them and what are some of the do's and dont's.......Also any alternatives to mix it up a little......Thanx

As far as i know, of course build up when going to heavier weights, but also getting used to your own weight is important. When i'm strengthening my legs, i often do power squats with around 60-80 lbs (80 lbs is the heaviest i can go to at home, you could go heavier if you wish) for about 10-12 reps and then switch straight into 4-6 lb weights in each hand and do jumping squats jumping side to side for about 20-25 reps. When doing the jumps, try using your gluteus maximus to power the jump. I do 2-3 sets of this, increasing the weight little by little each set. And then on other days where i take it a little easier but still mix it up, i use a resistance cord, step on it, and do about 30 squats and then go straight into a wall sit for about 45-60 seconds. For me, my legs felt surprisingly strong and i felt a little lighter. It's something to try
    Last edited by Josh_Shing; 05-31-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

First of all an exercise can provide different benefits depending on how you do them. Squats aren't just a bodybuilding exercise. They are one of, if not, the best strength exercise you can possibly do. If you have a strong squat, your entire body will get stronger, that is, if the lift is executed correctly. Squats are great for building a strong an powerful lower body.

Secondly, yes squats are safe, again if they are performed correctly. And contratry to what you may hear, Squatting is actually good for your knees because it strengthens the muscles around the joint.

For what purpose are you interested about squatting. For just pure leg development or are you looking to get stronger and more functional?

Also there are different types of Squats as well. Low Bar Back Squat, High Bar/Olympic Squats, Box Squats, Full Squats etc.

Check out this video series to learn about Squatting and proper form

Comment

Yes they are safe if done properly. If you're getting pain there is most likely something wrong with your form. Even a subtle detail can have a big effect.

Comment

Squats are a great exercise and perfectly safe if done correctly.

If your knee is causing you pain when squatting you need to fix it. There is some form of underlying injury / imbalance / flexibility issue that you notice when you squat. This problem is still there wether you squat or not.

I would work on improving the flexibility of your hamstrings / quads / gastrocnemius and stop squatting for a few weeks. I would then aim to strengthen my knee's using exercises that don't cause pain. Some of the following may be helpful - Peterson step ups, bulgarian split squats, Lunges, body weight squats, deadlifts (plus variations), Glute ham raise, Hamstring curls etc. You could also try front squats - they may not cause you pain???

Make sure you warm up correctly too.

Ideally, you should see a physio.

Comment

Great response authority

Comment

Steve Reeves used to recommend...

to improve athletic performance, Steve Reeves used to recommend working up to 100 reps with one half of your bodyweight (eg 100 pounds for a 200 lb man). He made a point of saying slowly work up to this. It is great for cardio as well as muscle endurance.

Comment

Working...
              X