No announcement yet.

short reach

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short reach

i was just wondering what sort of fighting style i could adopt that would make it so my lack of reach isnt a problem. i found myself eating a lot of leather when i was sparring because i had to get close to land a shot...should i be diving in and out of his reach, coming in for a shot or quick combo then pulling away? any input would be great.
    Last edited by Scottie2Hottie; 08-20-2005, 10:46 PM.

Pick their shots off with your gloves, and get yours in after they deliver theirs. You gotta have quick feet and use head movement and get up in their chest. You have the advantage on the inside with your short reach.

Comment

ive got great reflexes and eye hand coordination so i could make that work. one thing i was doing wrong is just guarding my face with my mitts and absorbing blows rather than turning them away and creating openings.

Comment

i use to have the same problems as you when i first started,head movement is essential if you dont have that you are going to get hit (slip the punch and move in) if that does'nt work experiment (mix it up body,head,body,head tripple jabs ect), try and throw your punches sharpley, and also counter punch, everytime they trow a jab you throw some back, be smart, try different things and use intensity, people will tell you what you need to do but only you can do it so keep in mind the things that ive told you and then it will come with more sparing, practise makes perfect

Comment

You might be getting hit because you have slow feet or the gameplan is too easy to figure out. You can't pin it on one thing especially on a web forum.

Try not to go straight in as much and go attack at more of an angle. If you still want to go striaght ahead be more alert for punches when you are in range. You have to know the range when to use the hands to parry and jam punchs and when to slip and duck punchs. Double end bag is good at that.
          Maybe work on mix body and head movement and hit low and high and have some feints. You want to opponent to react to what you do in the ring and not the other way around.
          Maybe you should let them come to you instead.

Do not overextend your stance and balance by diving in because when that happens you expose body parts and the chin. Only dive in if you can react fast enough or have the footwork down. If you are already eating punchs and then you start diving into punch, you are going to get hurt more.

Comment

well in my first sparring match i had a bad case of lead feet, but as i practice im just trying to figure out how to deal with certain things.

ive been practicing my bobbing and weaving and my feints, and now im definitely gonna start working on my counterpunching.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_The_Shark
              i use to have the same problems as you when i first started,head movement is essential if you dont have that you are going to get hit (slip the punch and move in) if that does'nt work experiment (mix it up body,head,body,head tripple jabs ect), try and throw your punches sharpley, and also counter punch, everytime they trow a jab you throw some back, be smart, try different things and use intensity, people will tell you what you need to do but only you can do it so keep in mind the things that ive told you and then it will come with more sparing, practise makes perfect
              thats it, once u slip or effectively block a punch let ya hands go on the inside. Go for fluent punches at first,so u can get a good rythm, once u got rhtym and balance then add ya power. if u try 2 hard 2 throw hard punches, u will off balance yaself.
              Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! oi oi oi

Comment

tyson their ass, but that takes practice and youd take loads of shot b4 you got in, but once you in you may cause havok.

Comment

Originally posted by saq26
                  well in my first sparring match i had a bad case of lead feet, but as i practice im just trying to figure out how to deal with certain things.

ive been practicing my bobbing and weaving and my feints, and now im definitely gonna start working on my counterpunching.
                  Work on shadow boxing to get the footwork and hand movement right. Like i said, if you got lead feet don't lunge. Makes you easier to hit.

Comment

i just got lead feet from nerves, i can move pretty well...but i dont think diving in would be a good idea either way

Comment

Working...
                    X