No announcement yet.

Charlie Chaplin Speech

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
    I'm not as passionate about Films as you are. I don't really care for Westerners per-se. Maybe some. I watched some of them because of Clint Eastwood and they happened to have been in the 60's, Spaghetti or no Spaghetti. I don't even use those Movie critic terms either. As I said, I don't go below the Mid 1960's. My parents like it, and they're old and grew up in that era. So I get it. I don't much care for the over-the-top theatric acting style, or old ass cinematography of anything of the 50's and below. Maybe some old ass Charles Bronson movies, and even that was because of Charles Bronson. Maybe one western with Kirk douglas & John Wayne, but that's it. And of course the early Sean Connery James Bond movies.

I'm not a across the board movie buff.
    I can understand

but its unfair to say those movies arent as good.

in most cases the actors back then **** all over present actors

the camera and camera work was not as forgiving to actors back then.

Comment

Many of the best clinics in understated portrayal are pre-60's. Acting of today is generally more OTT, for my money. Cupo' may have just gotten unlucky in glimpsing more of the hammy stuff.

But I see what he's saying overall in his post, I guess. He's comfy where he is.

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightSpecial View Post
        I can understand

but its unfair to say those movies arent as good.

in most cases the actors back then **** all over present actors

the camera and camera work was not as forgiving to actors back then.
        I didn't say they weren't good, I just don't like them. It doesn't appeal to me to even give it a look. Are there a few exceptions? Of course, but not many.

I'm not a All-Action, high-tech guy but I'm not one to be in awe of the great movies from 70 years ago either. I'm not a big critic. In fact if there wasn't a internet and I hadn't read that Jean Claude Van Damne is a ****ty actor, I would've never known about it. I don't look at it like that. I liked plenty of his movies when I was younger, and some are still fun to watch every now and then.

I don't spend much time micro-analyzing flicks and it's actors abilities or lackthereof , like I do Boxing for example. Lets just put it this way, you're not gonna catch me debating you or anyone on the forum, on the fine art of Classical acting Vs Method acting, or who the best Director is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupocity303 View Post
          I didn't say they weren't good, I just don't like them. It doesn't appeal to me to even give it a look. Are there a few exceptions? Of course, but not many.

I'm not a All-Action, high-tech guy but I'm not one to be in awe of the great movies from 70 years ago either. I'm not a big critic. In fact if there wasn't a internet and I hadn't read that Jean Claude Van Damne is a ****ty actor, I would've never known about it. I don't look at it like that. I liked plenty of his movies when I was younger, and some are still fun to watch every now and then.

I don't spend much time micro-analyzing flicks and it's actors abilities or lackthereof , like I do Boxing for example. Lets just put it this way, you're not gonna catch me debating you or anyone on the forum, on the fine art of Classical acting Vs Method acting, or who the best Director is.
          Hey the french movie JCVD is a guilty pleasure of mine

he did a fine job in that movie

Comment

P.S., just out of curiosity, did you make this Midnight?

Comment

And that's the thing. You don't even need to be au fait technically or be fluent in moviephile to find lots to dig in all those ullions of vaulted cans of film.

What I'm saying is, there's a lot of scope for you to be shocked and have your head significantly turned around on early film, to find the commonality. It's just having that illuminating turn-on experience with an "old" movie that you maybe haven't fully had yet.

Not to look to force it on you. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
              X