No announcement yet.

The legend that never was: Zab Judah

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The legend that never was: Zab Judah

New series of threads I'm starting where i want to discuss fighters that never quite turned out like we thought they would......

What do you guys think was the issues that held him back?
    If he would of been as focused as mayweather was his whole career, would he he have become one of the greats?

Judah UD 12 Garcia

what what?

Comment

Nothing went wrong with him. He accomplished a lot and had a great career given his limitations.

Athleticism and handspeed is undeniable but he was never that good of a "boxer". I've had numerous posts on Judah but his Ring IQ/ability to adapt over the course of a fight was very poor. He often had mental lapses and at times didn't know how to convert his athleticism into effective offense. In the Spinks and Baldomir fights, he didn't know what the **** he wanted to do or how he wanted to attack.

Another issue is he chased the money and took several fights at welter where he was too small. 5 of his 7 L's were at 147. But off the top of my head your talking about a 5 time champion (I think, correct if I'm wrong) and an undisputed welterweight champion. He did well with what he had.

Comment

I think Don King had him out partying all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Nothing went wrong with him. He accomplished a lot and had a great career given his limitations.

Athleticism and handspeed is undeniable but he was never that good of a "boxer". I've had numerous posts on Judah but his Ring IQ/ability to adapt over the course of a fight was very poor. He often had mental lapses and at times didn't know how to convert his athleticism into effective offense. In the Spinks and Baldomir fights, he didn't know what the **** he wanted to do or how he wanted to attack.

Another issue is he chased the money and took several fights at welter where he was too small. 5 of his 7 L's were at 147. But off the top of my head your talking about a 5 time champion (I think, correct if I'm wrong) and an undisputed welterweight champion. He did well with what he had.
          You make good points, he did accomplish alot, i just wonder if he was more dedicated to the sport would he have gone farther......And yeah at times he seemed lost, he was schooling mayweather in the first part of their fight...but when floyd made adjustments zab was lost

Comment

zab is a legend. he's actually undefeated.

Comment

If boxing was 4 rounds, Zab would be a legend.

Comment

Super Bum!

Comment

Someone's not an ATG so something "went wrong". He's got his name in your mouth so something obviously went right.

Comment

Zab had special qualities, it's too bad he lacked the grit of a true champion. I'm certain he'd have made consistent showings on p4p lists. Too late to turn back the clock now..

Comment

Working...
                    X