Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name Some ATG Fighters Who Avoided Fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name Some ATG Fighters Who Avoided Fighters?

This should be interesting. ATG fighters who avoided fighting certain fighters!

How about Tony Zale never giving Burley, Holman Williams, or Lamotta there well deserved title shots......

How about Jack Dempey ducking Willis, Greb and Langford?

Discuss

Reckon you could probably level this against pretty much most fighters.
    Ali pretty much fought everyone but certainly avoided a 4th fight with Norton to fight Spinks. Ditto, Louis but he didn't fight Bivins until both were past their best.
    Tyson v Lewis in 96 I believe?
    I believe Dundee blocked a fight for SRL against Hearns early in both of their careers.
    SRR v Burley?
    Guess you have to figure that boxers are businessmen and do weigh up risk v reward, so it is probably a business decision rather than cowardice.

Comment

Tyson ducked Lewis, Bowe ducked Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
        Reckon you could probably level this against pretty much most fighters.
        Ali pretty much fought everyone but certainly avoided a 4th fight with Norton to fight Spinks. Ditto, Louis but he didn't fight Bivins until both were past their best.
        Tyson v Lewis in 96 I believe?
        I believe Dundee blocked a fight for SRL against Hearns early in both of their careers.
        SRR v Burley?
        Guess you have to figure that boxers are businessmen and do weigh up risk v reward, so it is probably a business decision rather than cowardice.
        Muhammad Ali never ducked no 4th fight with Norton.. Ali lost his title to Leon Spinks.. Spinks was to defend against Norton but chose to give Ali a rematch so was stripped by the WBC of their belt.

Tyson never ducked Lewis in 96... it was the other way Lewis accepting step-a-side money of $3 million when he could have quite easily said "No Thankyou" and went ahead and fought for the title and a gauranteed purse of $12 million (career highest purse).. Lewis accepted the money because he never fancied his chances against that version of Tyson... in 95 Riddick Bowe offered Lewis $10 million for a non-title fight as neither held a title, Lewis turned him down.

Sugar Ray Leonard v Hearns - early in career-- never heard that before.

SRR vs Burley -- Never ever heard this before, do you have a source or link?

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Muhammad Ali never ducked no 4th fight with Norton.. Ali lost his title to Leon Spinks.. Spinks was to defend against Norton but chose to give Ali a rematch so was stripped by the WBC of their belt.

Tyson never ducked Lewis in 96... it was the other way Lewis accepting step-a-side money of $3 million when he could have quite easily said "No Thankyou" and went ahead and fought for the title and a gauranteed purse of $12 million (career highest purse).. Lewis accepted the money because he never fancied his chances against that version of Tyson... in 95 Riddick Bowe offered Lewis $10 million for a non-title fight as neither held a title, Lewis turned him down.

Sugar Ray Leonard v Hearns - early in career-- never heard that before.

SRR vs Burley -- Never ever heard this before, do you have a source or link?
          Or.............Tyson does not fancy his chances so he gives Lewis step aside money, that is the logical conclusion MOST! people come to accept you of coarse.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            Ali stated before the Ken Norton-Jimmy Young bout that he wouldn't have fought either even if he had beaten Leon Spinks.

This is false and I've corrected you on this many times.

Tyson and Don King never had any intentions of fighting Lennox Lewis and were willing to give up over 3 million dollars and the WBC title not to fight him. That's clearly a duck. Why in the world would you think that Tyson would've fought Lewis had Lewis declined their offer? The offer was made because they didn't want to fight Lewis and had no intentions of doing so.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/09/25/sp...wbc-title.html

You can be a good poster but your severe bias blinds you when it comes to Lennox Lewis.
            Last edited by TheGreatA; 01-07-2010, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
              Tyson ducked Lewis, Bowe ducked Lewis.
              Lewis priced himself out of fighting Riddick Bowe in 92 by demanding a 50/50 split and options on Bowe`s next 5 fights should Lewis lose... The Lewis camp knew Bowe would never accept those demands and if they could not reach agreement Bowe was to be stripped of the WBC Title, so Bowe said "UP YOU" to the WBC and threw their belt in the Garbage Can, Lewis picked it out and claimed to be champion, Bowe defended twice then lost a split-dec to Holyfield... Lewis defended twice then lost via KO to Oliver McCall... The Bowe camp made Lewis a gauranteed offer of $10 million (live on BBC Grandstand) Lewis turned it down saying he was concentrating on regaining the WBC title..

Tyson was WBC Heavyweight champion.. Lewis the No1 contender.. Lewis accepts $3 million to step-a-side and Tyson fights Bruce Seldon winning WBA title.. Lewis could have easily said "No Thankyou" and made Tyson fight him and a gauranteed purse of $12 million + Title Fight

Its always the same garbage... everyone ducked Lennox Lewis... Yet when it is mentioned that Lewis is the only champion in boxing history to be stripped of every belt for refusing to fight the No1 contenders WBA Ruiz.. IBF Byrd.. WBC Vitali... The Lewis nuthuggers say., No-one wanted to see those fights.. or Lewis would have easily beat them etc etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                Ali stated before the Ken Norton-Jimmy Young bout that he wouldn't have fought either even if he had beaten Leon Spinks.

Tyson and Don King never had any intentions of fighting Lennox Lewis and were willing to give up over 3 million dollars and the WBC title not to fight him. That's clearly a duck. Why in the world would you think that Tyson would've fought Lewis had Lewis declined their offer? The offer was made because they didn't want to fight Lewis and had no intentions of doing so.

You can be a good poster but your severe bias blinds you when it comes to Lennox Lewis.
                i cannot recall Ali saying that.. i am not saying he never yet i cannot recall it.

Sorry if my Lewis theory does not agree with yours.. i followed the career of Lewis right from his 1st pro fight to his last, i am not claiming to be 100% correct on everything on Lewis but i am not far short of that

Comment

GreatA... you are far from being the only person who claims i am biased towards Lennox Lewis.. something i fail to see... yet i am of the opinion that many very good posters on this forum (yourself included) let yourselves down bigtime with your lack of knowledge of Lennox Lewis and the oppotunist career he led... it is never mentioned that Lewis ducked Byrd & Ruiz, never mentioned that he turned down Bowe, never mentioned he promised the boxing world he would rematch Vitali, never mentioned he boasted he would have one Klitschko for breakfast the other for Tea.. yet ran from a fight with Wlad

Comment

Yeah but when you use logic with Sonnybox you auto become a Lewis nuthugger LOL

I like Sonnybox but when he tries to make out he has some superior out look to the rest of us,that some how we are deluded nuthuggers because we dont think Lewis was a fraud/bum the way he does.

Comment

Working...
                    X