Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Tarver belong with the ATG greats?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Tarver belong with the ATG greats?

What do you say? He beat RJJ twice, was the first to knock out Eric Harding (as well as RJJ ofc), beat Glen Johnson (twice imo!) and Montell Griffin, then at 42 reinvented himself as a cw by stopping the very tough and strong Danny Green. I think he belongs there.

I also think his loss to Hopkins shouldnt be held against him, considering the unfair circumstances, him having to drop from almost 220 to 175 in such a short time.
    Last edited by Pastrano; 09-30-2011, 05:57 AM.

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    What do you say? He beat RJJ twice, was the first to knock out Eric Harding (as well as RJJ ofc), beat Glen Johnson (twice imo!) and Montell Griffin, then at 42 reinvented himself as a cw by stopping the very tough and strong Danny Green. I think he belongs there.

Pound for pound.....not even close. At lightheavyweight.....he might make the top 25.

Comment

I also think his loss to Hopkins shouldnt be held against him, considering the unfair circumstances, him having to drop from almost 220 to 175 in such a short time.
      I have Tarver as an overachiever. I definitely couldn't put him in any ATG P4P list. I'm sure we could name 500 better fighters.

Comment

ATG?

He's not even a HOF'er.

Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          ATG?

He's not even a HOF'er.

Not even close.
          NOW you're going too far.

Comment

NOW you're going too far.
            Antonio Tarver is not a HOF'er.

Castillo, Hatton, Cotto, Corrales, Gatti and Hernandez getting in would be ridiculous.

But Tarver? That would just make the HOF close to worthless.

If Antonio Tarver were to get in the HOF it would be one of the most undeserving inductions in History.

Right up there with Barry McGuigan and Willie Pastrano.

Comment

A good, if inconsistent fighter who could conceivably give several ATG light heavyweights a good fight if on form, would be my assessment.

Comment

no way

not on my watch anyway

he was a very good light heavyweight with a good looking resume

but he's no ATG (and not competitive with other prime LHW greats.)
                and i don't believe he's even getting into the hall of fame (which is easier than it should be)

Comment

Castillo, Hatton, Cotto, Corrales, Gatti and Hernandez getting in would be ridiculous.

If Antonio Tarver were to get in the HOF it would be one of the most undeserving inductions in History.

these two are locks.

both were very good fighters at their best

cotto's also a strange case
                  he took a beating from a man with loaded gloves and he was never the same.

Comment

I agree with you about Tarver, but do you seriously think Hatton, Cotto and Gatti shouldn't be in the Hall? There are far less deserving people in there already.

Comment

Working...
                    X